Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get old tattoos covered

Options
  • 08-07-2013 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

I have 2 tattoos on each arm,from shoulder socket to bottom of the bicep area. I got these around 1982-83 when there was only one tattoo shop in Dublin, old Mr Eagle did 2 and junior did 2. To be honest they were fairly **** when I got them, so you can imagine what the look like now! I was thinking of getting them covered up with either full or half sleeves but I'm not a big fan of too much colour, and mine still have 70-80 %of of colour left. Truth be told, would probably prefer no colour at all but don't know if I could have all the colouration covered without totally backing out my arms. What's the best way to go forward with this? I was thinking about taking photos of my arms and printing them out to see if I could get a tattoo artist to do some designs but not sure if they actually provide this service??? Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Best thing to do is just go into a shop (Wildcat, Snakebite, Skin City, Colourworks) and ask. The artist will be able to tell you straight out if yes or no. They'll advise the best way to go about it in relation to the colouring. You'll also need to have an idea of what you would like to cover the existing tattoos with, as you'll need to find the right artist for the style you want.

Again, just go in to a studio and ask. They'll see your arms up close and personal so will be better able to determine, instead of working from a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

Thanks for the advice. Tell me, whats the going rate for tattoo's now? when I had mine done, the most expensive was £5 (punts) and the cheapest was £3 !!!!!.....Jesus I'm ancient !!!!

Actually there is another question I wanted to ask, can my old tattoo's be "overwritten" with fresh ink as in, will it look like a brand-new tattoo or will the old and new ink bleed into one another?

kingaaa wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Tell me, whats the going rate for tattoo's now? when I had mine done, the most expensive was £5 (punts) and the cheapest was £3 !!!!!.....Jesus I'm ancient !!!!

Usually they charge around €80 per hour. Some will charge more, depending on the artist (High demand: Chris Crookes in Belfast, the go to guy in Ireland for Japanese style Tattoo's, roughly 2 year wait list, charges £140 an hour I think).
    Mostly, the studios in Dublin are 80/100 quid an hour.
    Actually there is another question I wanted to ask, can my old tattoo's be "overwritten" with fresh ink as in, will it look like a brand-new tattoo or will the old and new ink bleed into one another?

I'm pretty sure the old ones could be touched up yes. They would probably go over them again in the same colours that you have already (blacks/grey's/ and any other colour), and then maybe do some outlines in white to provide clearer definition to some of the older areas.

Thanks for the info mate. Is there a general consensus on who is the best in Dublin? I dont want to make the mistake of going to a hack again...I wont say money is no object but if there was a choice all them years ago I gladly would have paid double for a better job!

• Advertisement

I hear ya. Generally, Snakebite/Skin City/Colourworks/Wildcat Ink(Stephens Green and Jervis area)/Dublin Ink(Apparantly had a bit of a bad rep down to attitudes more than anything, though they are producing some good looking pieces now, and do get in some very talented guest artists)

I've only been to Snakebite and Wildcat, can't complain about either.

You'll see a few more recommendations on here, but defo the first four I listed will be on pretty much everyones list.

yeah, been checking out skin city.....this stuff is light years away from what I had done!!!! no wonder they charge those prices, the work is absolutely fantastic !! hate to keep droning on about the bad old days, but when you went to Johnny Eagles you got a grease-proof transfer with what you wanted slapped on your arm and then they would trace over the outline with the needle, all this done between swigs of cider and a few puffs (not me, the tattooist!)..but this is pure art..................

Things have definitely moved on from that. Everything is sterile, single use needles, no drinking or smoking. Skin City is my next port of call, just have to get the cash together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Also check out Hydraulix as well, they produce great work.

I wouldn't personally advise Dublin Ink. Regardless of the attitudes, they're over-priced for the work you get, IMO.

The artist best suited to your needs really depends on the style of tattoo you want to have done.

They might recommend that you have laser sessions to fade the current tattoos first, which will help them to do the cover up.

Generally, tattooing in a good studio in Dublin costs around 100 euro per hour, however most studios, if you're getting a large piece done (which you will be), will work out a price per piece rather than per hour, which generally works out a bit cheaper for you.

As was already said, your best bet really is to go into a studio and talk to the artists. Since I don't know what sort of style you're going for, but that you'd prefer the cover up done in black/grey, I'd recommend going to Skin City.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Also check out Hydraulix as well, they produce great work.

I wouldn't personally advise Dublin Ink. Regardless of the attitudes, they're over-priced for the work you get, IMO.

The artist best suited to your needs really depends on the style of tattoo you want to have done.

They might recommend that you have laser sessions to fade the current tattoos first, which will help them to do the cover up.

Generally, tattooing in a good studio in Dublin costs around 100 euro per hour, however most studios, if you're getting a large piece done (which you will be), will work out a price per piece rather than per hour, which generally works out a bit cheaper for you.

As was already said, your best bet really is to go into a studio and talk to the artists. Since I don't know what sort of style you're going for, but that you'd prefer the cover up done in black/grey, I'd recommend going to Skin City.

Not really sure what style I want, I'm kinda held back because of what I'm getting covered - i.e. couldn't get anything tribal as you would see the old stuff underneath. Dont think I'd swing for lazer traetment in fairness........

• Advertisement

Not really sure what style I want, I'm kinda held back because of what I'm getting covered - i.e. couldn't get anything tribal as you would see the old stuff underneath. Dont think I'd swing for lazer traetment in fairness........

If you're not sure what you want, then definitely go for a consultation and talk to an artist, and look at their portfolios. I'd have a look in Skin City, just because they did a great cover up on a regular in this forum.

Why wouldn't you go for laser? Depending on how dark the tattoo is, it may be a necessity to have laser to fade it first, but that all depends on what the artist says. It's a possibility, though, if there's a lot of dark ink in your tattoos, that you'll need laser treatment to fade it enough to cover it up. Again though, the artist will talk to you about that.

If you're not sure what you want, then definitely go for a consultation and talk to an artist, and look at their portfolios. I'd have a look in Skin City, just because they did a great cover up on a regular in this forum.

Why wouldn't you go for laser? Depending on how dark the tattoo is, it may be a necessity to have laser to fade it first, but that all depends on what the artist says. It's a possibility, though, if there's a lot of dark ink in your tattoos, that you'll need laser treatment to fade it enough to cover it up. Again though, the artist will talk to you about that.

Dont want to go through lazer anf then a cover up tatoo. Dont know what lazer treatment is like now,but a mate got it done in the 80s and it looked like a burn scar

Dont want to go through lazer anf then a cover up tatoo. Dont know what lazer treatment is like now,but a mate got it done in the 80s and it looked like a burn scar

Well, like I said, talk to an artist, but you may HAVE to have laser to get it covered up properly, it's a possibility.

Jesus, laser is nothing like that now. My friend is having laser done to fully remove a tattoo, and all that's happening is that when it's finished, the skin will look bleached (basically paler than how her skin naturally is), no bad scarring.

Well, like I said, talk to an artist, but you may HAVE to have laser to get it covered up properly, it's a possibility.

Jesus, laser is nothing like that now. My friend is having laser done to fully remove a tattoo, and all that's happening is that when it's finished, the skin will look bleached (basically paler than how her skin naturally is), no bad scarring.

Would most artists have a problem covering up old tattoos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

To be honest, the size you're describing your tattoos as, it's gonna be VERY hard to cover. Going by what you've said, your best bet IS to get some laser treatment done to lighten them down to a level that a cover up would be successful.

Most artists will do coverups, once the old tattoo is small enough, or faded enough.

It's hard to judge without seeing what you have. But just pop in to any of the studios mentioned above and they will look after you.

Adiboo wrote: »
    To be honest, the size you're describing your tattoos as, it's gonna be VERY hard to cover. Going by what you've said, your best bet IS to get some laser treatment done to lighten them down to a level that a cover up would be successful.

Most artists will do coverups, once the old tattoo is small enough, or faded enough.

It's hard to judge without seeing what you have. But just pop in to any of the studios mentioned above and they will look after you.

Here is a photo, the other arm is more or less the same area covered

No photo attached there

Adiboo wrote: »
    No photo attached there

Sorry

Okay, not as massive as I was thinking. The greens and the reds wont go anywhere with the laser, but it might be worth to give the rest of it a blast anyway to fade it so as you would have more choices when it comes to covering it.

I've sent a pm on facebook to Skin City along with the pics, I'll see what they say if they get back to me....I was going to send it to Dublin Ink, but the reviews here of the attitude with customers is shocking!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

They should be able to cover that up, it look pretty faded as is, but yeh a few laser treatments would certainly help and give you more option as to what can be done.

You said you have no clue what you want to cover them up, to be honest that don't sound to good before you do anything think long and hard about what you want. You already have tattoo's you regret you don't want to repeat the process all over again.

Skin City are one of the bet studios in Dublin but if you can pop into the studio is always the best option.

They should be able to cover that up, it look pretty faded as is, but yeh a few laser treatments would certainly help and give you more option as to what can be done.

You said you have no clue what you want to cover them up, to be honest that don't sound to good before you do anything think long and hard about what you want. You already have tattoo's you regret you don't want to repeat the process all over again.

Skin City are one of the bet studios in Dublin but if you can pop into the studio is always the best option.

I kinda do know what I want, and have saved a few ideas I came across on the net, but of course I'm not sure of my limitations until I speak to an artist....woulsd prefer a black and grey piece, but thats not going to happen with what I have there now

Just been talking to somebody from Skin City through facebook, the said the same thing you lads said - probably need some lazer first. What I wasn't aware of was that you could have this done in the tattoo parlour.....that was a clinic job when my mate was getting it in the early 80's so I'm not so reluctant now if it will improve the overall finished piece.

Just been talking to somebody from Skin City through facebook, the said the same thing you lads said - probably need some lazer first. What I wasn't aware of was that you could have this done in the tattoo parlour.....that was a clinic job when my mate was getting it in the early 80's so I'm not so reluctant now if it will improve the overall finished piece.

Oh god yeah, studios are the best place to get it done. For laser, I'd recommend Patric in zulu, or ink west in blanch

Oh god yeah, studios are the best place to get it done. For laser, I'd recommend Patric in zulu, or ink west in blanch

The chap from skin city said they do it there, going in to see him tomorrow....now to try get some ideas of what i want..............

Well I have to say I'm dissapointed....arrived at Skin City today at 12 - the place was all locked up. Stood outside for nearly an hour, tried ringing the number (rang out 3 times) even tried messaging on facebook - still nothing. After travelling all the way in and cruising a car park in Temple Bar for a half hour looking for a spot, I'm gutted! nI did walk up to Hydraulix and was talking to the guy there, but I was shocked at the price quoted to me, anywhere up to €4000 !!!!! Are there any other places I should maybe try?

Well I have to say I'm dissapointed....arrived at Skin City today at 12 - the place was all locked up. Stood outside for nearly an hour, tried ringing the number (rang out 3 times) even tried messaging on facebook - still nothing. After travelling all the way in and cruising a car park in Temple Bar for a half hour looking for a spot, I'm gutted! nI did walk up to Hydraulix and was talking to the guy there, but I was shocked at the price quoted to me, anywhere up to €4000 !!!!! Are there any other places I should maybe try?

4,000 what exactly does the quote entail?

4,000 what exactly does the quote entail?

4 sessions lazer @ €100 a session - €400-€450 (depending on design) a session for tattoo......4 sessions per arm. I think it might actually be 4 sessions of lazer per arm, my head was swimming with numbers ...lol

He did say best case scenario €2800 if I didn't need the maximum amount of sessions.

4 sessions lazer @ €100 a session - €400-€450 (depending on design) a session for tattoo......4 sessions per arm. I think it might actually be 4 sessions of lazer per arm, my head was swimming with numbers ...lol

He did say best case scenario €2800 if I didn't need the maximum amount of sessions.

If there looking for 100 per laser session get the laser done elsewhere and then go back laser removal can be got for 50 a session in other places.

Otherwise it all sounds ok really depending on the level of detail really my arm/chest piece still requires at least two sittings and has so far cost 1250 not including laser, I have a side piece that cost about 3k if you want a decent tattoo they generally don't come cheap to be honest.

• Advertisement

If there looking for 100 per laser session get the laser done elsewhere and then go back laser removal can be got for 50 a session in other places.

Otherwise it all sounds ok really depending on the level of detail really my arm/chest piece still requires at least two sittings and has so far cost 1250 not including laser, I have a side piece that cost about 3k if you want a decent tattoo they generally don't come cheap to be honest.

yeah, I'm getting to realize that now....but wasn't aware on how much they do cost so you can understand my shock considering I got my first one for less than €5 !!!!!!!!....lol

Advertisement