Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Tablet issues with the full site

Options
  • 08-07-2013 4:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭

I think I flagged some issues as far back as windows 8 consumer preview, but for a good chunk of my time I browse boards on a windows 8 tablet. I do have (clumsy) workarounds - either tablet I use either has a trackpad accessory (surface RT; Lenovo Yoga) or a digitizer pen (Samsung slate). These give me a mouse pointer that can get around the problem, but it shouldn't be a problem :/ at least problems I saw in preview - where edit/post/thank buttons wouldn't work on touch - aren't a problem anymore. That leaves the navigation menu as the last real obstacle to browsing the full site on a touchscreen.

I use the basic Dark theme. Currently none of the nav menu headings (tech/music/etc) do anything when tapped, they don't even go to the respective Tech/Music/Rec pages that you expect if you click on each as a link. [edit: well, the categories do Highlight when touched, which shows they acknowledge they are being interacted with but they don't do anything else. Also, they only seem to Highlight on some pages, not every page. Like on this thread page they will highlight, but not on the Site Development page or the Home Page for instance.]

They only do anything if clicked or are hovered over with a hardware pointer. the my forums link next to my username menu is almost the same way, except you can for half a second get the down arrow to expand the my forums popup, but the delay is so short you cant click on any of the popup links before it closes again.

The Touch site is not the preferable solution. Aside from navigating between forums, the full site works great on the tablets/touchscreens. The touch site is primarily designed for smartphones. The tablets I use vary from 11.6" to 13" in screen size and the lowest resolution is 1280x800. The desktop site would be far more enjoyable if the nav menu had responses for touch, or even if the disappearance-delay on the my forums popup was extended to 1.5 seconds or something. Hoping that is something as easy to do in reality as it sounds on paper

for clarification, this is on IE11, in "Tile"/App mode, in all cases. Tried on Windows RT, Windows 8 and 8 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Bumpity bump. Any word on this, did the hamster misplace this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Hey, looks like this one was missed originally, apologies for that.

I've added the issues you've described above to our issue tracker, we'll get around to it as soon as possible. We've quite a lot on the plate at the moment so that may be a while, but as soon as we get updates we'll drop them in here.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement