Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permission/licences to put up small ads locally?

Options
  • 08-07-2013 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

My wife runs a small local business and is looking to put up some of those small plastic signs you see everywhere attached to poles and railings.

We got in touch with SDCC to see what the story is (where we want to put them is railing belonging to SDCC beside a road), and were told someone would email us the info. We got a big email from a guy in the planning department about applying for planning permission, who at the end of the email wrote, "But you probably don't need to apply for planning in this case". And no further info. Uh, thanks for that.

So, what's the story here? I know years back the cost of a licence to do this was actually more expensive than the littering fine, so people just did it, but how do we do it now - how do we get permission to do this, who do we ask? SDCC have been zero help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

nothing to do with planning - and the planning guys just wouldn't have a clue.

I think roads department will be best bet.

If its a tourist related business such as a B&B they may allow a brown sign on selected poles.

If its just a regular commercial business, they may have a couple of options, but I doubt it.

Both ways will have a rental fee - cost of the sign itself is about €160.

Signs are called "Finger pointer signs"

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you want to put up a pic of the type of thing you are talking about?

These: http://www.signsolutions.ie/index.php?cPath=39 don't need planning permission (street furniture generally doesn't), but you would need a licence from the roads department.

Best way forward may be to phone them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Really I'm talking about this kind of thing, but like you see zip-tied to railing and poles all over the place. It's a heavy plastic sign that goes up for a few weeks and is then taken down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to roads department or the department who owns the fence.

Whenever I see something like this I tend to assume it is done without permission and I take a negative view of the business.

They are usually corrugated plastic.

Advertisement