Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line vandalised; Phone line/Broadband down...

Options
  • 08-07-2013 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

As per title, our line was cut early Saturday morning (approx 1.30am); I have no info on how or why someone would do this, but it has resulted in our phone line and broadband being down since then.

Its in the Donore, Drogheda region in County Meath.

The fault/issue has been reported to Eircom and we have received no update thus far. The reason I as posting this thread is that in the past year we have had our phone line/broadband go down for a number of weeks and if at all possible, I would really like to avoid that happening again - hopefully posting it here and updating our progress may speed along the process.

I would appreciate it if an eircom representative could PM me and I will give them my phone number and exact address so that they can look into the issue.

Sidenote: Feel free to use this situation to rollout fibre broadband in our region; I am sure nobody would object :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi DRose1,

Would you like to PM me your details and I will look into this for you?

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Hi DRose1,

Would you like to PM me your details and I will look into this for you?

Thanks

Tracey
    Sent.

Quick update on this for anyone that's remotely interested.

We got a pleasant surprise on Tuesday when the engineers appeared on the road and replaced the stolen wires on the pole - 6 o'clock came and we still had no service so we just assumed that some additional work still had to be done on Wednesday and all would then be ok.

Eh no, this is Eircom after all. Wednesday came and we still had no service at around 12, so I rang their support line and their automated response said that the fault had been resolved on our line yesterday (hmmmm)... Got through to one of their support team and they were also under the assumption that the fault had been resolved...

So after explaining that at no point had our phone or broadband returned to normal service, I was told that a 'new fault' would have to be logged and because of that a 'new engineer' would have to be put on the case and an additional lead time of 2-3 working days would be added.

So cliff notes:
    • Engineers came out fairly quickly and physically replaced the lines
    • Apparently without doing any proper testing or  making contact with any of the affected customers, they marked the case as resolved.
    • Eircom assume the issues are fixed and close the case (even though you would assume their system would show our line and broadband as down!?)
    • I call Eircom to explain we still have no service (much to their surprise).
    • They have to open a new case and put a new engineer on which will take at least another 2-3 working days to resolve.

Just another chapter to the book of miserable dealings we have had with Eircom over the years. I fully expect another issue or two to arise before we come close to getting service back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi,

I understand this must be very frustrating for you. I have requested an urgency on this fault log however I can't guarantee anything at this stage. If I receive any more information on this I will come back to you.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Wolfs

DRose1 wrote: »
    Quick update on this for anyone that's remotely interested.

We got a pleasant surprise on Tuesday when the engineers appeared on the road and replaced the stolen wires on the pole - 6 o'clock came and we still had no service so we just assumed that some additional work still had to be done on Wednesday and all would then be ok.

Eh no, this is Eircom after all. Wednesday came and we still had no service at around 12, so I rang their support line and their automated response said that the fault had been resolved on our line yesterday (hmmmm)... Got through to one of their support team and they were also under the assumption that the fault had been resolved...

So after explaining that at no point had our phone or broadband returned to normal service, I was told that a 'new fault' would have to be logged and because of that a 'new engineer' would have to be put on the case and an additional lead time of 2-3 working days would be added.

So cliff notes:

Engineers came out fairly quickly and physically replaced the lines
    Apparently without doing any proper testing or  making contact with any of the affected customers, they marked the case as resolved.
    Eircom assume the issues are fixed and close the case (even though you would assume their system would show our line and broadband as down!?)
    I call Eircom to explain we still have no service (much to their surprise).
    They have to open a new case and put a new engineer on which will take at least another 2-3 working days to resolve.

Just another chapter to the book of miserable dealings we have had with Eircom over the years. I fully expect another issue or two to arise before we come close to getting service back.
    Hi DRose1,

Just wondering what download speeds you are getting in Donore? 
    PS hope Tracey responded to you ?!

Thanks

• Advertisement

Wolfs wrote: »
    Hi DRose1,

Just wondering what download speeds you are getting in Donore? 
    PS hope Tracey responded to you ?!

Thanks
    Hi, it was extremely arduous process but it got resolved in the end. Broadband is poor to very bad depending on where you are in Donore. Expect something in the region of 1mb to 3mb if you are lucky. Its possible you can get quicker speeds in one of the big new estates like the Grange but I am not 100% sure about that. My own connection is an unstable 2.5mb or so - we have a 'NGB uncongested' line which is somewhat hard to believe given our broadband slows down every day at peek times.

Seems highly unlikely that we are going to benefit from the fiber role-out in Drogheda, at least in the short term.

In a rather sick twist of fate, the exact same thing happened to our phone line last Thursday (31st of August); so almost on the one year anniversary of last years mess.

Going through the usual painful process with Eircom to try and get this resolved asap. The automated message last Friday morning was that the fault would be resolved within 3 working days. That is certainly not going to be met as I just went down the road where the lines were cut and there is no work taking place and the lines are still hanging from where they were cut. 

Another genius facet of the Eircom customer service is that on the 5th and the 6th of this week, I received 4 text messages from Eircom informing me that the fault was 'resolved'. By 'resolved' they must mean 'we havnt started the work to resolve the issue yet'.

I would appreciate an update from an Eircom representative on here if possible. I will pm you my house number.

I would really like to avoid this going on for almost 5 weeks like it did last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

In a rather sick twist of fate, the exact same thing happened to our phone line last Thursday (31st of August); so almost on the one year anniversary of last years mess.

Going through the usual painful process with Eircom to try and get this resolved asap. The automated message last Friday morning was that the fault would be resolved within 3 working days. That is certainly not going to be met as I just went down the road where the lines were cut and there is no work taking place and the lines are still hanging from where they were cut. 

Another genius facet of the Eircom customer service is that on the 5th and the 6th of this week, I received 4 text messages from Eircom informing me that the fault was 'resolved'. By 'resolved' they must mean 'we havnt started the work to resolve the issue yet'.

I would appreciate an update from an Eircom representative on here if possible. I will pm you my house number.

I would really like to avoid this going on for almost 5 weeks like it did last year.
    Hi DRose1
    We should certainly be able to advise on this. Can you PM me your landline number?
    Tony

Hi DRose1
    We should certainly be able to advise on this. Can you PM me your landline number?
    Tony

Arrived home just there and the phone and broadband are back :)

Less than a week turnarond to the lines being cut is good. Until they are cut again :(

I just wish you would sort out your internal practices and systems. E.g, sending out text messages to say the fault has been resolved when work hasn't even started etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

My friend lives in Donore and he only gets 1Mb on his connection with Eircom .

I live in Duleek and get 14Mb some people here get upto 20Mb and we are getting fibre this month KN networks and eircom have been installing the fibre cabinets around the area for a few months now can't wait :) we also got 4G from Vodafone this month but we been having 3G for years now on the mobile networks.

• Advertisement

jay93 wrote: »
    My friend lives in Donore and he only gets 1Mb on his connection with Eircom .

I live in Duleek and get 14Mb some people here get upto 20Mb and we are getting fibre this month KN networks and eircom have been installing the fibre cabinets around the area for a few months now can't wait :) we also got 4G from Vodafone this month but we been having 3G for years now on the mobile networks.
    Congratulations. You thought you would come into the thread and gloat about the superior service Duleek have over Donore?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi DRose1
    Tony

Arrived home just there and the phone and broadband are back :)

Less than a week turnarond to the lines being cut is good. Until they are cut again :(

I just wish you would sort out your internal practices and systems. E.g, sending out text messages to say the fault has been resolved when work hasn't even started etc.
    Happy to hear this DRose1 and we really hope the line can escape being cut again. I have passed on your comments re fault messaging to customers.
    Thanks for getting back.
    Tony

Advertisement