Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stimmer advice

• 08-07-2013 10:43am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks
    Looking at strimmer - Stihl or these below;

http://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/trimmers/compare-trimmers/?nid=314332,99463

Any opinions?

I have general strimming around flower beds, along by wall and drive on a weekly basis :)
    MAYBE a strim around the hedges once or twice per year. Would be an hours work at a time.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well if its only once or twice a year then maybe a battery one be handier for you

lidl were selling them a few weeks back, i got one a and its susprisingly good last about 45 min + on full charge

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sorry clarified the post there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

still, you should consider a battery one

had a petrol one before and it broke my heart trying to start it..you have to get the two stroke mix spot on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

fryup wrote: »
    still, you should consider a battery one

had a petrol one before and it broke my heart trying to start it..you have to get the two stroke mix spot on

Don't know tbh, not keen on battery power tools outside of the screw driver, had a few higher end battery tools and the batteries weren't massive life span.

I would be well used to mixing after years using my Dads but not a bean on whats a good or a bad strimmer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Just picked up my Tanaka 240 sttimmer last week. Easy to start and very responsive. Also got the optional hedge trimmer to, so that could be fitted for those high hedges. Its early days buy it appearsto be a good buy so far.

• Advertisement

Just picked up my Tanaka 240 sttimmer last week. Easy to start and very responsive. Also got the optional hedge trimmer to, so that could be fitted for those high hedges. Its early days buy it appearsto be a good buy so far.

What price did you pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

yop wrote: »
    What price did you pay?
    All in £420 mac plant sales. Belleek.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Folks
    Looking at strimmer - Stihl or these below;

http://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/trimmers/compare-trimmers/?nid=314332,99463

Any opinions?

I have general strimming around flower beds, along by wall and drive on a weekly basis :)
    MAYBE a strim around the hedges once or twice per year. Would be an hours work at a time.

Thanks

I got a Stihl, one of these:
    http://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/homeowner-trimmers/fs56rce/

It's great. No problems starting from cold or from hot. Light and comfortable.
    Comes with a brush cutter blade. The fuel mix is simple: one Stihl bottle into one five litre petrol can.

I've been warned off Husqvarna products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

Gautama wrote: »
    I got a Stihl, one of these:
    http://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/homeowner-trimmers/fs56rce/

It's great. No problems starting from cold or from hot. Light and comfortable.
    Comes with a brush cutter blade. The fuel mix is simple: one Stihl bottle into one five litre petrol can.

I've been warned off Husqvarna products.

How does this cope with high grass/brush ?
    How much was it, if you don't mind me asking ?

What's the story with Husqvarna, quality, price ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Tanaka are ok, bit like strimmers from10+ years ago mind you, they are good but vibrations are high and knock hell out of your hands white finger etc. eventually.

Stihl and husky are still very good, although I have had a few issues with fuel lines on huskys recently they tend to perish quite quickly.

If you are looking to do long thick grass go for a strimmer with more grunt, it will be easier, quicker and you won't be wishing you had bought the more powerful one.

I can recommend a Stihl dealer I use a lot, pm me for details of this if you want.

I have a fair bit of experience with strimmers, I currently own 3, 26cc, 35cc and a 46cc one.

And fuel mix ain't too critical and it is pretty easy to do anyway.

The important thing is to get good quality oil. I use Stihl hp and Stihl hp ultra. Don't listen to the dealers who say it doesn't matter or who haven't even heard of the different grades, just go somewhere else.

Hope this helps.

M.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah more grunt means 30+ cc

I only use the 26cc for light trimming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

I could write a book but just one comment OP, unless you are doing really light work I wouldn't buy a strimmer with a bent shaft. You really can't get much power down the flexible coil springs that that use as a drive shaft and they can break with extended hard use. I'd always go for one with a straight shaft.

Ok, so the bent head are bad are they? Thats interesting.

Stihl seems to be getting the votes then? I looked at the FS40 but I think its too light to be honest and has a bent head! :)

Any recs then for the next level up with a straight head?

Ok, so the bent head are bad are they? Thats interesting.

Stihl seems to be getting the votes then? I looked at the FS40 but I think its too light to be honest and has a bent head! :)

Any recs then for the next level up with a straight head?

Probably just personal prejudice ;) but I have seen a few bent ones ceased up which is the end of the unit really. Its cheaper to make them like that so I just think of the bent shaft ones as being poorer quality for occasional users.

No problems with Stihl but as I have a 16 year old Husqvarna brush cutter I wouldn't be too worried about their stuff but can't speak of their smaller domestic range.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

We have a Shindaiwa strimmer/brush cutter. (similar to one below on Done deal) fantastic machine. approx 5 years old and trouble free. gets trough some heavy stuff when required. bought on recommendation of a neighbor who runs landscaping business and would use em over Stihl. all machines are lower end commercial machines so you are looking at 400-500 euro for the models available now. He also has a a chainsaw of same make and used it a few times. great saw as well. We have a Stihl saw at home and good machine but a b*stard to start!

http://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/shindaiwa-streamer/5307894

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭manna452121

Just a side track question.Could someone recommend somewhere to get a heavy gauge strimmer cord as my one keeps breaking.Tried woodies but only keep the same gauge 1.5.I have a Ryobi 18v strimmer.

Just a side track question.Could someone recommend somewhere to get a heavy gauge strimmer cord as my one keeps breaking.Tried woodies but only keep the same gauge 1.5.I have a Ryobi 18v strimmer.

Stick with the 1.5 and just acknowledge you can't cut stuff too big, that strimmer won't be able to drive thicker cord or if you did the battery would run out quicker.

I've used a massive selection of strimmers over the years and you'd be really surprised how much extra power you need if you go up a size or two in line thickness, same goes if you extend the line too long.

I have noticed variations in line from the same manufacturer in the same thickness, current 2 mm stuff I'm using is lasting much longer than the last roll, yet packaging is the same and the line looks the same.

Birtles wrote: »
    We have a Shindaiwa strimmer/brush cutter. (similar to one below on Done deal) fantastic machine. approx 5 years old and trouble free. gets trough some heavy stuff when required. bought on recommendation of a neighbor who runs landscaping business and would use em over Stihl. all machines are lower end commercial machines so you are looking at 400-500 euro for the models available now. He also has a a chainsaw of same make and used it a few times. great saw as well. We have a Stihl saw at home and good machine but a b*stard to start!

http://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/shindaiwa-streamer/5307894

Yeah shindaiwa are ok but not very refined, never seen a chainsaw by them and wouldn't touch one. I am a professional gardener and stick with husky and Stihl.

If your Stihl saw is difficult to start perhaps you should get it serviced?

monkeynuz wrote: »

If your Stihl saw is difficult to start perhaps you should get it serviced?

My old 023 was a bitch to start from new until one day I decided to check everything. When I reset the coil flywheel magnet gap it started like a dream and has been fine since.

• Advertisement

eirator wrote: »
    I've used a massive selection of strimmers over the years and you'd be really surprised how much extra power you need if you go up a size or two in line thickness, same goes if you extend the line too long.

I have noticed variations in line from the same manufacturer in the same thickness, current 2 mm stuff I'm using is lasting much longer than the last roll, yet packaging is the same and the line looks the same.

The way strimmer line is stored can be a factor in longevity if not stored right or just old it can go brittle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

I've got a Stihl chainsaw which is hard to start, so when I went strimmer shopping I spoke to a dealer about this. Apparently this is a common problem but with the right technique, it should start easily. Once you hear a 'cough', knock the choke off and try again.

74merc wrote: »
    I've got a Stihl chainsaw which is hard to start, so when I went strimmer shopping I spoke to a dealer about this. Apparently this is a common problem but with the right technique, it should start easily. Once you hear a 'cough', knock the choke off and try again.

That is pretty much standard practice for all two stroke machines though.

Advertisement