Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's needed for Wifi?

Options
  • 08-07-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭

A friends son has moved into student accomodation for the summer and has an internet connection via a lead and RJ45 connector from a wall socket to his laptop. He'd love to have the freedom of wifi but it's not available in the building.

Can he connect anything to the end of the lead and go wifi from there?

He's not sure who the Broadband supplier is, if that matters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

He needs a router, which type will depend on his provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Unless there is a wireless Router or Modem connected he will have to het a dongle from an ISP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

He does not need a router, he just needs a wireless access point. If you have an old Eircom or Vodafone dsl router lying around it can be configured as an AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

BailMeOut wrote: »
    He does not need a router, he just needs a wireless access point. If you have an old Eircom or Vodafone dsl router lying around it can be configured as an AP.

This is what I wanted to hear :)

Next part is how would I or he go about configuring the router (an eircom modem) as an access point?

phog wrote: »
    This is what I wanted to hear :)

Next part is how would I or he go about configuring the router (an eircom modem) as an access point?[/QUOT

You can plug the Eircom router in and it should be good to go with the SSID and password printed on back. You can try disable the dsl bits but should not be necessary.

• Advertisement

With the laptop plugged into the rj45 connector get him to tell you what IP he gets. Just want it make sure it is not 192.168.1.xxx address before plugging in the Eircom router.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

so in my language...

he takes the BB lead he has and plugis it into the rear of the modem (using one of the RJ45 ports) and hey presto his wifi should work?

How does he interrogate the modem if he neeeds to see his IP address?

Sorry for the questions but I'll probably have to this over the phone with him.

phog wrote: »

so in my language...

he takes the BB lead he has and plugis it into the rear of the modem (using one of the RJ45 ports) and hey presto his wifi should work?

How does he interrogate the modem if he neeeds to see his IP address?

Sorry for the questions but I'll probably have to this over the phone with him.

Maybe!

So first step is plug laptop into the RJ45, open a command prompt and type 'ipconfig /all'. Pm me the results and will get you the config steps.

Advertisement