Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justified By His Blood

Options
  • 08-07-2013 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Copy of a weekly email I get

The Wednesday Word:
    Justified By His Blood

Rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Why is the blood so important to the gospel? Here’s one reason… we are justified by the blood. As you know, to be justified means to be found not guilty, acquitted and declared legally righteous. It is the exact opposite of being condemned and damned. We are either legally condemned or legally justified before God, and the difference between the two states is made by the blood.

In Exodus 11:7 we read that the Lord put a difference between Egypt and Israel. What was the difference? It was the blood! On the fateful night of the Passover, the angel of death swept through the land of Egypt killing all the firstborn males. The firstborn of the Israelites, however, were spared, not because they were better people, but because they were sheltered under the blood. There was no difference between the firstborn of Israel and the firstborn of Egypt --they were all the same; they were all sinners (Romans 3:23). But in events that prophetically pictured the cross, God made the difference, the difference of the blood.

We now see that, at Calvary, because of the blood, God’s wrath was intercepted. We see that, because of the blood, no charges are being held in reserve against us. We see that, because of the blood, the Judge of all the earth consults His record books and finds none of our sins.

Nothing can hurt people who are sheltered under the blood. Why? Because, the Father sees that the blood has settled the entire catalogue of charges made against them. We often look at ourselves and see a different picture. We see our failings and our sinful heart---and, by the way, this is not always a bad thing as these things continually humble us and propel us to the throne of grace. And, there at the Throne of Grace we learn to occupy ourselves more with Christ and our righteousness in Him than to be absorbed with our sinful hearts.

May the Lord help us to remember that in Christ we are perfect and complete. In Christ, we are declared, “not guilty” because of the blood. We are justified by His blood. May we never tire, as many do, of hearing about the perfections of the blood.

Adoniram Judson, the man who, in the 19th century, opened up Burma for the gospel, came back to America after 30 years of unheard-of hardships. A vast crowd gathered to hear him speak. To their amazement, he spoke of the precious Saviour, and of what He had done for them and of what they owed to Him because of the blood. As he sat down, he was visibly affected.

“The people are very much disappointed,” said a friend to him on their way home—“they wonder you did not talk of something else.”
    “Why, what did they want?” he replied, “I presented, to the best of my ability, the most interesting subject in the world.”
    “But they wanted something different—they wanted a story.”
    “Well, I am sure I gave them a story—the most thrilling one that can be conceived of.”
    “But they had heard it before! They wanted something new of a man who had just come from the Antipodes.”
    “Then I am glad they have it to say, that a man coming from the Antipodes had nothing better to tell than the wonderful story of the dying love of Jesus! My business is to preach the Gospel of Christ. And when I can speak at all, I dare not trifle with my commission. When I looked upon those people today and remembering where I would next meet them, how could I stand up and furnish food to vain curiosity or tickle their fancy with amusing stories of my testimony. That is not what Christ meant by preaching the Gospel. And then how could I hereafter meet the fearful charge, ‘I gave you one opportunity to tell them of ME. You spent it in describing your own adventures instead of telling of the precious blood of by which men are saved.’

And that’s the Gospel Truth

Miles McKee
    Minister of the Gospel
    www.milesmckee.com
    http://www.sermonaudio.com/source_detail.asp?sourceid=milesmckee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭lionmqj

4 Surely he has borne our griefs
    and carried our sorrows;
    yet we esteemed him stricken,
    smitten by God, and afflicted.
    5 But he was pierced for our transgressions;
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
    upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
    and with his wounds we are healed.
    6 All we like sheep have gone astray;
    we have turned—every one—to his own way;
    and the Lord has laid on him
    the iniquity of us all.
    7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted,
    yet he opened not his mouth;
    like a lamb that is led to the slaughter,
    and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent,
    so he opened not his mouth.
    8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away;
    and as for his generation, who considered
    that he was cut off out of the land of the living,
    stricken for the transgression of my people?
    9 And they made his grave with the wicked
    and with a rich man in his death,
    although he had done no violence,
    and there was no deceit in his mouth.
    10 Yet it was the will of the Lord to crush him;
    he has put him to grief;
    when his soul makes an offering for guilt,
    he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days;
    the will of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.
    11 Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied;
    by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant,
    make many to be accounted righteous,
    and he shall bear their iniquities. (Isaiah 53:4-11, ESV)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

lionmqj wrote: »
    In Exodus 11:7 we read that the Lord put a difference between Egypt and Israel. What was the difference? It was the blood! On the fateful night of the Passover, the angel of death swept through the land of Egypt killing all the firstborn males. The firstborn of the Israelites, however, were spared, not because they were better people, but because they were sheltered under the blood. There was no difference between the firstborn of Israel and the firstborn of Egypt --they were all the same; they were all sinners (Romans 3:23). But in events that prophetically pictured the cross, God made the difference, the difference of the blood.

How can you not have a problem with this stuff?
    One group of babies killed, another spared - on a whim basically. Sounds like the work of a real nice guy!

• Advertisement

One group of babies killed, another spared - on a whim basically. Sounds like the work of a real nice guy!

I have always thought that the whole God did it thing here is nonsense. As if God would need a sign on the door! A group of Jewish insurgents on the other hand....?

All beside the point. The symbolism of sheltered by the blood is what we take from this telling of the story.

Isaiah 53:4-11 Is speaking of the suffering that Jesus endured for sinners. The "sign on the door" being the blood of a lamb was pointing to what God was going to do and those under the blood would be saved. Those under the blood of Christ are saved. Christ died for sinners. If you are not a sinner then you don't need Him.

"It was The Lord God who furnished the skins, made them into coats and clothed our first parents. They did nothing. God did it all. They were passive. In clothing them with skins God showed them by forceful example that sin could only be covered--atoned for, at the cost of sacrifice, by life being taken, by blood being shed. In Eden we find the first type and foreshadowment of the cross of Christ; the basic truth of substitution--the innocent dying for the guilty."--Arthur Pink, "Gleanings in Genesis"

"It was The Lord God who furnished the skins, made them into coats and clothed our first parents. They did nothing. God did it all. They were passive. In clothing them with skins God showed them by forceful example that sin could only be covered--atoned for, at the cost of sacrifice, by life being taken, by blood being shed. In Eden we find the first type and foreshadowment of the cross of Christ; the basic truth of substitution--the innocent dying for the guilty."--Arthur Pink, "Gleanings in Genesis"

Stretching a bit! I get your PSA leanings but it's not the only model and in fact is a new understanding of redemption compared to other models.
    the innocent dying for the guilty. That's not atonement, that's injustice, scapegoating and a sweeping under the carpet of things we don't want to accept responsibility for.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Stretching a bit! I get your PSA leanings but it's not the only model and in fact is a new understanding of redemption compared to other models.
    the innocent dying for the guilty. That's not atonement, that's injustice, scapegoating and a sweeping under the carpet of things we don't want to accept responsibility for.

The innocent dying for the guilty is laid out in the bible from Genesis to Revelation. It is God's plan of redemption for fallen man.

[21] But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it—[22] the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: [23] for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, [24] and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, [25] whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. [26] It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
    (Romans 3:21-26 ESV)

Isaiah also speaks of this
    [3] He was despised and rejected by men;
    a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief;
    and as one from whom men hide their faces
    he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
    [4] Surely he has borne our griefs
    and carried our sorrows;
    yet we esteemed him stricken,
    smitten by God, and afflicted.
    [5] But he was pierced for our transgressions;
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
    upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
    and with his wounds we are healed.

(Isaiah 53:3-5 ESV)

Isaiah goes on to say
    [10] Yet it was the will of the LORD to crush him;
    he has put him to grief;
    when his soul makes an offering for guilt,
    he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days;
    the will of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
    [11] Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied;
    by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant,
    make many to be accounted righteous,
    and he shall bear their iniquities.

[12] Therefore I will divide him a portion with the many,
    and he shall divide the spoil with the strong,
    because he poured out his soul to death
    and was numbered with the transgressors;
    yet he bore the sin of many,
    and makes intercession for the transgressors.
    (Isaiah 53:10-12 ESV)

The innocent dying for the guilty is throughout the Bible pointing to the once for all payment for sin made by Jesus Christ. Fully God and fully man.

• Advertisement

@lionmqj. It might be when it what you look for but it's still a heresy. For PSA to work the way it proponents say it dose, it needs to make Jesus subject to God and theirs the christian trinity down the drain in one easy move.
    I'm not even going to go into the whole 'makes a monster of God' thing as it's possible that God is a vengeful monster but turning the trinity into a committee of graded beings is so far from orthodoxy it should make it a whole other offshoot of Abrahamic religions, like Jw's and Mormons.

In spite of all that, I'm fond of the idea that you cant redeem yourself, works alone an all that so I'm not saying that PSA isn't part of the cross just saying that without all the other parts it's not kosher!

What does PSA mean?

What does PSA mean?

I'm sorry, PSA Penal substitutionary atonement is one model of atonement;
    http://www.theopedia.com/Penal_substitutionary_atonement

Not the only one the main alternative being Christus Victor;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christus_Victor#Atonement_theories

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that tommy2bad.

Whatever theory that anyone has on the atonement that is not backed up by the Word of God is just philosophy. What I presented above is backed up by the Word of God as can be seen in the scriptures presented (there are many, many, many, more btw). In Christianity, anything that is not backed up by the word of God is just a theory. To present anything through Scripture you must back it up with scripture, if not, well then its just a theory.

More About the Amazing Blood! Weekly mail that I get.

The blood of Christ is amazing. There is no sin so vile that the blood cannot wipe it out. This fact is strikingly illustrated by the story of the Nazi War criminals in the aftermath of Word War Two. One would think that they were beyond the reach of mercy. Some were, but others weren’t. They were put on trial for war crimes and, while in jail, a number of these former villains became believers. They are a testimony to the amazing blood of the Lamb. Here is a excerpt from their story as related by their chaplain H. F. Gerecke.

“With Von Ribbentrop, at first I found no response, but later on he commenced also to read the Bible. Keitel, Von Ribbentrop, Sauckel, Raeder, Speer, Fritsche and Von Schirach took part in the communion service. Then followed the promulgation of the sentences. Goering, Von Ribbentrop, Keitel, Kaltenbrunner, Rosenberg, Frank, Frick, Streicher, Sauckel, Jodl and Seyss-Inquart were condemned to death by hanging.

“Through a favour of the prosecution, the condemned men were allowed to see their wives once more. It was a very sad meeting. I heard Von Ribbentrop ask his wife to promise to bring up their children in the fear of the Lord. Sauckel asked his wife to vow to bring up their numerous family beneath the Cross of Jesus. Goering asked what his little daughter Edda said when she heard his sentence, and had to hear that the child hoped to meet her Daddy in heaven. This affected him, and it was the first time I saw him in tears.

“Day and night I remained with those who had committed their souls to God. I visited some of them often five times daily. Von Ribbentrop read his Bible the greater part of the day. Keitel was most moved by the portions which spoke of the redeeming power of the blood of Christ. Sauckel was very upset and said many times that he would collapse before the execution of the sentence. He prayed out loud continually, "O God be merciful to me a sinner." These three took the communion for the last time with me in their cells. God had changed their hearts, and now in the presence of death, having lost all material things and their unworthy lives, they were able to rely on the promises of God for lost sinners.

“On the evening before the execution of the sentences, I had a long interview with Goering. I put before him the necessity of preparing himself to meet God. In the course of our conversation, he ridiculed certain Bible truths, and refused to accept that Christ died for sinners. It was a conscious denial of the power of the blood. "Death is death" was the substance of his last words. As I recalled to him the hope of his little daughter to meet him in heaven, he replied, "She believes in her manner and I in mine."

“An hour later I heard many agitated voices and then I learned that Goering had taken his life. His heart was still beating when I entered his cell, but when I questioned him, there was no answer. A small empty glass tube lay on his breast, and he had gone into eternity - a frightful end!

“As the hour of the execution of the sentences approached, now that Goering was dead, Von Ribbentrop was the first to mount the gallows. Before he left his cell, he declared that he put all his confidence in the blood of the Lamb that took away the guilt of the world, and he prayed that God would have mercy on his soul. Then came the order to proceed to the execution chamber. His hands were bound. He mounted the 13 steps to the gallows, I uttered a last prayer, and he was no more. Keitel also went into eternity confiding in the pardoning grace of God. Then Sauckel went to his death, and with a last greeting to his wife and children and a last prayer, he exchanged his earthly life for an eternal one.

“Frick assured me before his death that he believed also in the cleansing blood, and that during our simple gospel services he had personally met Jesus Christ.”

The blood of Christ really is amazing. But the question is, “Have you seen the truth about the blood for yourself?” When Christ shed His blood, He freely gave up His life and died. Seeing the blood, therefore, means to believe what the Father tells us about the death of His Son. Seeing the blood means that we see Christ’s death as our death. Seeing the blood means that we are satisfied that Christ died for us, personally, as our substitute. Seeing the blood does not mean that we see visions of Christ with blood dripping from His wounded body. But when we ‘see the blood’ we see and know that He was wounded for our transgressions. In fact, when we see the blood, faith is able to say, “He was wounded for MY transgressions, He was bruised for MY iniquities” (Isaiah 53:5).

And that’s the Gospel Truth

Miles McKee
    www.milesmckee.com

Special note … Is Healing Guaranteed in the Atonement of Christ?
    Check out my upcoming broadcast on this subject on Revelation TV, (Freesat channel 692, Sky channel 581, and the Roku box) and streaming on www.revelationtv.com
    Thursday 08th August at 19:30 hrs
    Saturday 10th August at 22:00 hrs
    Monday 12th August at 13:00 hrs

Ok thread turning into a sort of Renfield's syndrome blog now!
    I'm out.

Not at all Tommy2bad "Seeing the blood does not mean that we see visions of Christ with blood dripping from His wounded body. But when we ‘see the blood’ we see and know that He was wounded for our transgressions. In fact, when we see the blood, faith is able to say, “He was wounded for MY transgressions, He was bruised for MY iniquities” (Isaiah 53:5)."

Those who are IN Christ have this promise "In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace" Eph 1:7 ESV

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

It wasn't a whim ... and God is a really nice (and just) Guy!!!
    God repeatedly asked the Egyptians to release the Israelites from their slavery - and they refused. He backed up His requests with repeated and increasingly serious plagues - and they still refused.
    The Plagues culminated in the death of the firstborn in Egypt ... and even though Pharaoh relented, even then, he still had 'second thoughts' and subsequently tried to stop the exodus, bringing further disaster upon himself and his people - it could be argued that God did the minimum necessary to secure the freedom of the Israelites - and it was Pharaoh's stubborness that actually caused all of the suffering.
    God is just as well as merciful; sovereign as well as respectful of free will and the responsibilities attached thereto - and we all need to remember this.

The two great exoduses of the Jews were the Egyptian exodus under Moses and the 20th Century exodus, following the persecution and genocide of European Jewry.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mod: Thread's seemingly nothing more than a soapbox. Closing it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement