Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin Event - Ironman or Challenge?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Oryx wrote: »
    I would just prefer proportions that aren't as bike centred. Horses for courses.

As somebody that can't swim or swim but can bike to a reasonable level... I'd like a 1k/100k/10k

I had considered the distance this year but tristar are defunct now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

griffin100 wrote: »
    Not if you're happy to plod around the course there's not, but that applies to IM as well. Pushing it hard for the duration is certainly a challenge.

Agreed, that's why i said it didn't interest me........personally. I'm not saying its not a good mix, just not one for me:)

Oh and i always plod, i'm built for comfort.........not speed;)

mloc123 wrote: »
    Perhaps the challenge is in training to be fast and not just complete?

Less last comment above:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I think all triathlon distances should to be an equal time challenge along all disciplines.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I think all triathlon distances should to be an equal time challenge along all disciplines.

I don't think that would work as you'd end up with a very very short cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I don't think that would work as you'd end up with a very very short cycle.
    It would be short compared to what we're used to, but that's only because what we're used to. I reckon an Olympic should be about 2k swim, 20km bike, 10km run. Would balance it out a little more.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It would be short compared to what we're used to, but that's only because what we're used to. I reckon an Olympic should be about 2k swim, 20km bike, 10km run. Would balance it out a little more.

If i'm honest i can't see that working at all. A lot of people who start out do it in try a tri races and they have a short swim as thats the hardest part for a lot of people so having a 2k swim in a race like that would put off a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Could always have the base located down the docklands. You could close off that section of the city within reason. The cycle would go out from transition on john rogersons quay out to Wicklow and back. The marathon would then use the same course as the docklands run (8 * 5km loops). No need to close down as msny roads. Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I think its gas that people think that there is a snowballs hope in hell of this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tunney wrote: »
    I think its gas that people think that there is a snowballs hope in hell of this happening.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Tunney (I feel dirty).

The only possible locations for something like that are miles out from the city centre, like Bray, or Greystones, which my international race standards would still be advertised as Dublin!

Its still not going to happen

• Advertisement

Thinking outside the box (or being led to)

A *big* race - think non AG here is not Challenge or Ironman its ITU............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Maybe Doc will bring his new races to Dublin :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

Thinking outside the box (or being led to)

A *big* race - think non AG here is not Challenge or Ironman its ITU............

Forget the AG'ers? You think that the same local businesses that will grumble about the cost-benefit of 2,000 people doing an Ironman on their doorstep will be keen for town to be closed down for 100 pros?

As was said above, Killarney or maybe Kenmare may well be the place for this. While i'd love a big Ironman or Challenge event in or near Dublin i cant see it happening. 8 laps of a 5k course would be awkward and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Phoenix Park would surely feature heavily if this ever happened, you could have three laps of a 10k circuit with another 5k in and out of town.

Transition in Sandymount or somewhere. Although a route like that would mean closing all the bridges between Islandbridge and the Eastlink as well as the North Quays.

Pretty hard to manage without basically closing Dublin for the day, Half Iron would be more feasible.

I think locals would get behind it, if support for the marathon is anything to go by.

Wicklow would be a good location though, plenty of lakes and less disruption to traffic, would still bring tourism into the city.

gilleek2 wrote: »
    Forget the AG'ers?

As in there is no spectale in watching AGers. ITU racing would be great.

Plus AG IM would need 10 hours of road closures. ITU 2 tops.
    You think that the same local businesses that will grumble about the cost-benefit of 2,000 people doing an Ironman on their doorstep will be keen for town to be closed down for 100 pros?

But that is the point the town will not be closed down under any circumstances for 2000 people. The tourists already come to Dublin the August bank holiday weekend.
    As was said above, Killarney or maybe Kenmare may well be the place for this. While i'd love a big Ironman or Challenge event in or near Dublin i cant see it happening. 8 laps of a 5k course would be awkward and boring.

There won't ever be a full Ironman of any brand in Ireland. Weather, gouging by local business, lack of support/spectators and road quality would mean that even if one was tried it would last one to two years tops - like Galway 70.30

hardCopy wrote: »
    Phoenix Park would surely feature heavily if this ever happened, you could have three laps of a 10k circuit with another 5k in and out of town.

Transition in Sandymount or somewhere. Although a route like that would mean closing all the bridges between Islandbridge and the Eastlink as well as the North Quays.

Pretty hard to manage without basically closing Dublin for the day, Half Iron would be more feasible.

I think locals would get behind it, if support for the marathon is anything to go by.

Wicklow would be a good location though, plenty of lakes and less disruption to traffic, would still bring tourism into the city.

Support for the marathon I always found was pi$$ poor - in comparison to continental events

The road were also closed for over 24 hrs in the city centre on the June bank holiday in 2012 for F1 cars to drive around for 20 min.

There might be no spectale in watching AG's Tunney but if anyone turns out it will be the AG's friends and family. Gavin Noble raced in Athlone and i'd say apart from those who were racing ( prob not even all of them ) could even point out Noble. He didn't bring a crowd to the streets along the run BUT 1st timers doing try had family with signed etc who were there all day paying for parking, buying lunch, drinks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

dave do you have numbers that hotels and restaurants are not having extra capacity for the august weekend ?

peter kern wrote: »
    dave do you have numbers that hotels and restaurants are not having extra capacity for the august weekend ?

peter do you have numbers that hotels and restaurants are having extra capacity for the august weekend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Support for the marathon I always found was pi$$ poor - in comparison to continental events

I did a marathon Lisbon and it wouldn't be much of an exaggeration to say the support at the Connemarathon was better, and it was nothing like the support given in Dublin. I can't comment on other city's marathons. Of course from BBC coverage London does look to have incredible support, but how many cities in the world could match that?

Would closing down Dublin for a triathlon work? I'd be inclined to think 'No', but then from what I've heard Lisbon's IM 70.3 is a great event, so I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

what aobut having a formula 1 driver participate in the race would make formula 1 people and triathletes happy ;-)
    The road were also closed for over 24 hrs in the city centre on the June bank holiday in 2012 for F1 cars to drive around for 20 min.

There might be no spectale in watching AG's Tunney but if anyone turns out it will be the AG's friends and family. Gavin Noble raced in Athlone and i'd say apart from those who were racing ( prob not even all of them ) could even point out Noble. He didn't bring a crowd to the streets along the run BUT 1st timers doing try had family with signed etc who were there all day paying for parking, buying lunch, drinks etc.

what aobut having a formula 1 driver participate in the race would make formula 1 people and triathletes happy ;-)

We did that in Athy................Still didn't make those in Dublin happy about the roads being closed for 24 hrs.

peter do you have numbers that hotels and restaurants are having extra capacity for the august weekend ?

i am not the one making statements so you should have the numbers if you make a claim me thinks.
    and i have not found number that say there is no capacity so thats why iam asking you.

also if i look on hotel search websit 31% of beds are booked out for this bank august bank holiday weekend.

i am not the one making statements so you should have the numbers if you make a claim me thinks.
    and i have not found number that say there is no capacity so thats why iam asking you.

You haven't found one full restaurant or hotel in Dublin for the Aug bank holiday weekend ? Have you rang them all ? Until you ring them all please don't comment again........now off with you to ring every one of them.

also if i look on hotel search websit 31% of beds are booked out for this bank august bank holiday weekend.

You can use stats to prove anything, 89% of the time you talk sense.......as i said you can't always trust stats you read on the internet:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I haven't done a marathon outside Dublin so can't compare but I'd be happy to do any event that got the level of support DCM gets. Even in the pissings of rain in 2011 there were loads of people along the whole route.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I haven't done a marathon outside Dublin so can't compare but I'd be happy to do any event that got the level of support DCM gets. Even in the pissings of rain in 2011 there were loads of people along the whole route.

+1 on that and +1 on 2011 and those who stayed out in the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

As in there is no spectale in watching AGers. ITU racing would be great.

Plus AG IM would need 10 hours of road closures. ITU 2 tops.

But that is the point the town will not be closed down under any circumstances for 2000 people. The tourists already come to Dublin the August bank holiday weekend.

There won't ever be a full Ironman of any brand in Ireland. Weather, gouging by local business, lack of support/spectators and road quality would mean that even if one was tried it would last one to two years tops - like Galway 70.30

Weather is a valid concern but as for gouging, do you think the Irish have the monopoly on that? I checked the price of the hotel i stayed in for IM Austria 2011 and it was about half the price the week after the Ironman. Gouging perhaps?

It's been said before that the tourists are already there which is why it needs to be run in the suburbs where businesses will play ball. I wouldnt completely rull it out but the weather and finding reliably calm water near good roads will be hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

It's not that long ago that someone tried to run a full distance IM on closed Irish roads and it ended up being a bit of a disaster, mainly due to the weather. But at least they got permission to close a motorway for the day.

It could be done but you'd probably need a 45km bike route with laps (and that could be boring unless you got a good course) and a mainly off road marathon (like the Hardman run route) to minimise impact on traffic. It would be nice to have the option of a Irish full IM branded race but I can't see it happening.

Advertisement