Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin Event - Ironman or Challenge?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

just throwing this out there, but could you take a two city approach, say Galway - Dublin, I think this would catch the public's imagination as it's a neat piece of geography, being a transverse of the island.
    T1 would be in galway city, T2 would be in maynoth, the finish could be Dublin city centre.
    the course would be flat, there are probably plenty of old N roads that could be used.
    If you really wanted to push the boat out time wise, you could start in limerick on a really windy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

hypersonic wrote: »
    just throwing this out there, but could you take a two city approach, say Galway - Dublin, I think this would catch the public's imagination as it's a neat piece of geography, being a transverse of the island.
    T1 would be in galway city, T2 would be in maynoth, the finish could be Dublin city centre.
    the course would be flat, there are probably plenty of old N roads that could be used.
    If you really wanted to push the boat out time wise, you could start in limerick on a really windy day.

So for athletes from abroad, fly into Knock International Airport. Then from there get your bike to Galway, where you should stay on the eve of he race, but be ready to check out of the hotel in advance of the 6 a.m. start, because you'll have to stay in Dublin that night, or perhaps after the event you'll have to get back to Maynooth to pick up you bicycle from T2.

That's only a small sampling of things to be considered, but for a host of similar practical reasons I never see a race like that working.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

zico10 wrote: »
    So for athletes from abroad, fly into Knock International Airport. Then from there get your bike to Galway, where you should stay on the eve of he race, but be ready to check out of the hotel in advance of the 6 a.m. start, because you'll have to stay in Dublin that night, or perhaps after the event you'll have to get back to Maynooth to pick up you bicycle from T2.

That's only a small sampling of things to be considered, but for a host of similar practical reasons I never see a race like that working.

all very valid points, but if this stuff was easy somebody would have done it already! make it unique hold it every three years and I could imagine it working. just my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

zico10 wrote: »

The poster above obviously thought about the iconic coast to coast race in new zealand which is the countries top multisport endurance race. So it can be done but is of course a logistic nightmare at this magnitude i theink they, run cycle, run, kajak and then cycle again.
    Having said so of course not nearly at the same level roth has split transitons and that works fairly well with a good schuddle system.
    Ironman Melbourne took it even further than Roth and and had t2 and the finish line 42 k apart. So thats defo a 2 city approach frankston- melbourne. (i think the race sold out in 15 min so seems to be ok for people )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can't imagine the support would be too great as you cycle through Offaly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

If there was to be an ireland IM then wouldnt kerry be a good option, swim from valentia or something and cycle the ring, beautiful scenery that would attrach a lot of foreigners and plenty of b&bs. The ROK cycle seemed to be a great experience this year and works out nearly exactly the IM distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

adamski8 wrote: »
    If there was to be an ireland IM then wouldnt kerry be a good option, swim from valentia or something and cycle the ring, beautiful scenery that would attrach a lot of foreigners and plenty of b&bs. The ROK cycle seemed to be a great experience this year and works out nearly exactly the IM distance.

It's a pity no one has thought of that already :). www.hardman.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

griffin100 wrote: »
    It's a pity no one has thought of that already :). www.hardman.ie

Cant believe you went and stole my idea and made a website so fast

Can't imagine the support would be too great as you cycle through Offaly...

Wasnt there an Irish corner even in alp d uez. All we need to do is to fly in a few dutch party people and then the Irish will want to copy them ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

peter kern wrote: »
    Wasnt there an Irish corner even in alp d uez. All we need to do is to fly in a few dutch party people and then the Irish will want to copy them ;-)

Nope just have the cycle or run go past coppers at 3am !

• Advertisement

out of coincidence as i was looking for a room for friends and i had a quick look for hotels in dublin
    sorry for the long link but it suggests that their is 27 % percent of hotel rooms not booked for bank the august holiday weekend. so it would suggest 5000 hotel rooms availabe or place for 10 ooo people and that does not include B&Bs.
    I have no idea how much this reflects the truth but having looked at another web site it looks plenty of hotels not booked out.
    would like to see numbers from those people that say their is no capacity for that weekend.

http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?src=searchresults&city=-1502554&ssne=Dublin&ssne_untouched=Dublin&error_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.booking.com%2Fsearchresults.en-gb.html%3Faid%3D303948%3Blabel%3Ddublin-WnfD8mFIm_F_dJaPGXe9ewS12790735821%253Apl%253Ata%253Ap1250%253Ap2%253Aac%253Aap1t1%253Aneg%3Bsid%3D6a6f5c1967ca5ccc5f927bf484d4a9b9%3Bdcid%3D1%3Bcheckin_monthday%3D3%3Bcheckin_year_month%3D2013-8%3Bcheckout_monthday%3D5%3Bcheckout_year_month%3D2013-8%3Bcity%3D-1502554%3Bclass_interval%3D1%3Bcsflt%3D%257B%257D%3Bdtdisc%3D0%3Binac%3D0%3Binterval_of_time%3Dundef%3Boffset%3D0%3Bredirected_from_city%3D0%3Bredirected_from_landmark%3D0%3Breview_score_group%3Dempty%3Bscore_min%3D0%3Bsrc%3Dcity%3Bss_all%3D0%3Bssb%3Dempty%3B&aid=303948&dcid=1&label=dublin-WnfD8mFIm_F_dJaPGXe9ewS12790735821%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1250%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg&sid=6a6f5c1967ca5ccc5f927bf484d4a9b9&si=ai%2Cco%2Cci%2Cre%2Cdi&ss=Dublin&radius=&checkin_monthday=2&checkin_year_month=2013-8&checkout_monthday=6&checkout_year_month=2013-8&in_a_group=on&org_nr_rooms=1&org_nr_adults=2&org_nr_children=0&group_config=&group_adults=2&group_children=0&dest_type=city&dest_id=-1502554

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheEagles

I think it would be a great idea to have a IM or Challenge run event, will be interesting to see how Shadowman event goes this weekend. So with 2 full distance events already here, can't see the problem havin 1 of the above run 1 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

would like to see numbers from those people that say their is no capacity for that weekend.

August bank holiday weekend is probably one of top 3 busiest tourist weekends of the year.
    How many extra people do you think will fly into Dublin and stay in a Dublin hotel for the weekend because of a triathlon?
    How much disruption would be caused to the tens of thousands of tourists who are already in Dublin if the city centre is shut down for most of the day?

TheEagles wrote: »
    I think it would be a great idea to have a IM or Challenge run event, will be interesting to see how Shadowman event goes this weekend. So with 2 full distance events already here, can't see the problem havin 1 of the above run 1 also.

Or as happened with other races that one of the events currently ongoing would be rebranded as IM or Challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RayCun wrote: »
    August bank holiday weekend is probably one of top 3 busiest tourist weekends of the year.
    How many extra people do you think will fly into Dublin and stay in a Dublin hotel for the weekend because of a triathlon?
    How much disruption would be caused to the tens of thousands of tourists who are already in Dublin if the city centre is shut down for most of the day?

Won't happen for the following reasons:
    - Too many other races on that weekend already
    - Its a big GAA weekend
    - Its the biggest Summer Bank Holiday weekend for tourist.

If an Ironman was to happen it would need to be outside the city.

The more i think about it the more Athlone seems a good option.

1. Good lakes for the swim
    2. Town has held large events before
    3. On motorway network
    4. 1:15 from Dublin ( ish )
    5. Glasson etc have some nice climbs for the bike and run.
    6. Lots of hotels in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

It's all down to demand but also dollars. If Galway struggled with franchisee payments then it's likely most other venues would also. The ITU stop in Athlone a few years back was big dough but to be honest a great weekend and well supported.

Whatever the host town/city, they would need a rich uncle as Failte Ireland are not too forecoming with the readies as Galway found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The more i think about it the more Athlone seems a good option.

1. Good lakes for the swim
    2. Town has held large events before
    3. On motorway network
    4. 1:15 from Dublin ( ish )
    5. Glasson etc have some nice climbs for the bike and run.
    6. Lots of hotels in the area

if the word "good" was in the second point........

tunney wrote: »

I wasn't at those events so don't know how well they went. Anyone else have feedback on them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I wasn't at those events so don't know how well they went. Anyone else have feedback on them ?

I was at the ITU race when it was held there and really enjoyed the day out. It looked well organised but I guess unless you compete it's hard to tell how well organised it was. The weather was really nice that day too which is always a plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

tunney wrote: »

I assume any such event would have different organisers so one would hope it would be better organised...........

Anyhow anyone who would travel to Ireland to do an IM in the sh!thole that is Athlone and the surrounding area would have to be mad. Kerry and the ROK is the ideal location, at least the scenery is nice which cant be said about Athlone.

(I'm still trying to decide if that should be in pink ;))

Its great to bring up locations but has as any of those locations actually done something to bring a big race their? (Athlone had the foreseight which Dublin back then did not have)
    In the article quoted originally I did not read any other place actually trying to organize a big race apart from Dublin....
    so not much point speculating about other venues unless somebody has expressed and interest

To have a race i guess it takes a few things.
    -As we have seen in Galway the most important fact (or deal breaker) is the foreseight of a council to see that a big race can lift the profile of town and generates income.( i dodnt think there is a town in Ireland that does not need income. We can argue weather Galway brought in the 5 million or not but we can not argue that the 70.3 did not bring money to Galway.
    -You need somebody willing to invest .You want a big race with a big brand , they dont come cheap so you need to invest before you get income.
    If we look at Ironman Austria that draws 2000 people, and the really fantastic Podersdorf ironman distance race - the only race I know in Europe with with certifyed distances for bike and run course- gets aobut 350 entrants for the full distance..

Costs ..... Podersdorf also costs about 33% of the entrance fee of Ironman Austria) so thats not what the punter really worries about. ( they like to complain aobut it but they dont go for the cheap option)

-If you want a international race ( especially in a small country like Ireland i think it would really help being close to an international airport. or a really great location so that really leaves only Dublin and Kilarney
    -If you can promise your partner a location where you can go shopping i guess that might help. ( on an averge every Ironman brings 2 people with them, that like to be entertaint)
    But again the most important thing of a race is the coorparation of the council ( as I am sure BHT et all can confirm this and athlone had this for a few years which is why they got the europenas over) so I guess only a place that has the vision and the support of the council is a possible place.
    -If you have done a race like Ironman Arizona which has the most boring race course i have ever done you see the course is the easy bit.This race sells out in 15 min.
    -Weather ... Ironman new zealand's swim has been cancelled 2-3 times in the last 10 years nobody cares about that really the race sells out year after year (New zealand has and Ironman race and a challenge race and and about the same population as the republic of Ireland )
    Road surface
    again Nobody that has done Im new zealand would say their road suface is above the road sufrece we have in Ireland. ( to be fair it dosnt get slower for surface than New Zealand.

Rather than saying that Ireland cant support a race we should be thinking we need to get the country fit enough to be able to support 2 long distance races ( one razzmataz race and 1 or 2 no frill races ) and have another world class ITU event in the country. I mean the Europeans in Athlone 2010 where fantastic.I d love to see more ot that in Ireland.
    Ireland has a serious overweight problem the more people we can get of the couch the better it is and if people see that some "idiots " swim 3.8 k cycle 180k and run a marathon than it might be easier for them to run 3 times a week 5 k.
    Overall, fitter people cost the state less money so to me a win win situation .

People will complain whatever will happen but its will be mainly those guys that want to drive 1 k in the monring to buy the papers and Cigaretts ( ie the people that really need to execerise) and will have to walk 1 day becasue of road closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NewWheels

Its great to bring up locations but has as any of those locations actually done something to bring a big race their? (Athlone had the foreseight which Dublin back then did not have)
    In the article quoted originally I did not read any other place actually trying to organize a big race apart from Dublin....
    so not much point speculating about other venues unless somebody has expressed and interest

People will complain whatever will happen but its will be mainly those guys that want to drive 1 k in the monring to buy the papers and Cigaretts ( ie the people that really need to execerise) and will have to walk 1 day becasue of road closures.

Too long to quote whole piece - Peter, well said. I posted this originally as I thought anyone with half an interest in fitness would love the idea of bringing a world class event to our shores. We should all be putting our hands up to see how we can help - I for one will be raising mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

To have a race i guess it takes a few things.
    -As we have seen in Galway the most important fact (or deal breaker) is the foreseight of a council to see that a big race can lift the profile of town and generates income.( i dodnt think there is a town in Ireland that does not need income. We can argue weather Galway brought in the 5 million or not but we can not argue that the 70.3 did not bring money to Galway.
    -You need somebody willing to invest .You want a big race with a big brand , they dont come cheap so you need to invest before you get income.
    If we look at Ironman Austria that draws 2000 people, and the really fantastic Podersdorf ironman distance race - the only race I know in Europe with with certifyed distances for bike and run course- gets aobut 350 entrants for the full distance..

Costs ..... Podersdorf also costs about 33% of the entrance fee of Ironman Austria) so thats not what the punter really worries about. ( they like to complain aobut it but they dont go for the cheap option)

-If you want a international race ( especially in a small country like Ireland i think it would really help being close to an international airport. or a really great location so that really leaves only Dublin and Kilarney
    -If you can promise your partner a location where you can go shopping i guess that might help. ( on an averge every Ironman brings 2 people with them, that like to be entertaint)
    But again the most important thing of a race is the coorparation of the council ( as I am sure BHT et all can confirm this and athlone had this for a few years which is why they got the europenas over) so I guess only a place that has the vision and the support of the council is a possible place.
    -If you have done a race like Ironman Arizona which has the most boring race course i have ever done you see the course is the easy bit.This race sells out in 15 min.
    -Weather ... Ironman new zealand's swim has been cancelled 2-3 times in the last 10 years nobody cares about that really the race sells out year after year (New zealand has and Ironman race and a challenge race and and about the same population as the republic of Ireland )
    Road surface
    again Nobody that has done Im new zealand would say their road suface is above the road sufrece we have in Ireland. ( to be fair it dosnt get slower for surface than New Zealand.

Rather than saying that Ireland cant support a race we should be thinking we need to get the country fit enough to be able to support 2 long distance races ( one razzmataz race and 1 or 2 no frill races ) and have another world class ITU event in the country. I mean the Europeans in Athlone 2010 where fantastic.I d love to see more ot that in Ireland.
    Ireland has a serious overweight problem the more people we can get of the couch the better it is and if people see that some "idiots " swim 3.8 k cycle 180k and run a marathon than it might be easier for them to run 3 times a week 5 k.
    Overall, fitter people cost the state less money so to me a win win situation .

The problem is those fools that insist on driving 1km for the paper and their smokes tend to be very bloody vocal. However, if support of local councils and perhaps a minister with a budding interest in the sport can be gained then perhaps it is a viable option. I still think Kenmare/Killarney would be a great venue but obviously Dublin(or surrounding area) would have a certain attraction too.

Advertisement