Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rare,deleted LPs to be pressed on demand!

Options
  • 08-07-2013 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Universal says YOU can choose the reissues!!
    We're currently developing a crowd-funded vinyl service that makes use of Universal Music's extensive catalogue to offer sought-after deleted records to be re-pressed in this great format. Funders will become owners of limited edition rare records
    SOUNDS GOOD RIGHT??

Maybe not..... Today everything is about MONEY not quality! (THE STUFF THEY DO WILL MOST LIKELY BE DIGITAL CRAP RECORDED TO THE RECORD!!)

I wouldnt pay 2 cents for that garbage UNLESS I KNEW FOR SURE IT WAS PURE ANALOGUE!!!! (Like my beatles records icon7.gif)

Here is the signup page: http://zaphod.uk.vvhp.net/vvreg/6965-287568

There is no way to send them comments unfortunetly!!! (I would tell them my feelings on this: I HEAR ENOUGH DIGITAL CRAP ONLINE AND ON THE RADIO... WHEN I GET RECORDS,I WANT BETTER ANALOGUE SOUND!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Its not quite anything you want from their back catalogue, they send you a survey of selected titles and the ones that get the most votes will apparently be re issued, here are some titles from the survey you can vote on:

Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman
    Cream - Disraeli Gears
    Def Leppard - Hysteria
    Cat Stevens - Teaser & The Firecat
    Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Def Leppard - Pyromania
    Eric Clapton - Slowhand
    Supertramp - Crime Of The Century
    Sonic Youth - Goo
    Bjork - Biophilia
    The Jam - All Mod Cons
    Nirvana - MTV Unplugged
    Sting - The Dream Of The Blue Turtle

Re: analogue, I wouldn't be as absolutist as you, on the pre 80s titles I already own I absolutely prefer the original analogue recordings and generally wouldn't buy a new reissue of say "Rumours", "CSN" "AJA" or Kraftwerk's back catalogue that was digitally sourced, but not all bands record totally analogue (or even partly) since the 80's, between CD or vinyl I always choose vinyl, apart from loving the format the vinyl tends to have at least better mastering with more dynamics, recent examples of vinyl I bought that sounds great from hi rez digital sources are Daft Punk's new one, 'In Our Heads" By Hot Chip" and "Tomorrows Harvest" by Boards of Canada".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Yes I realise that..... I have one album from 1981 (Ruah - MOVING PICTURES) that was digitally recorded and I CAN TELL!! (I only got that album for TOM SAYWER -- USUALLY I WILL NOT GET ANY ALBUMS THAT HAVE BEEN RECORDED THIS WAY! (Im quite selective (I check the jacket sleeve,etc))

I emailed them about this (I got an addy for them) and asked but they didnt reply which i believe says it all!!

Dude111 wrote: »
    Yes I realise that..... I have one album from 1981 (Ruah - MOVING PICTURES) that was digitally recorded and I CAN TELL!! (I only got that album for TOM SAYWER -- USUALLY I WILL NOT GET ANY ALBUMS THAT HAVE BEEN RECORDED THIS WAY! (Im quite selective (I check the jacket sleeve,etc))

I emailed them about this (I got an addy for them) and asked but they didnt reply which i believe says it all!!

Perhaps they didn't reply because they get hundreds, maybe thousands if emails a day and it takes awhile to reply. I know last year I had an issue with a Universal release and it took them a month to get back to me. They told me that if I had not already done so to return the item in question and get a refund. Couple if months later I got a package from them with a fixed version of the product in question with a note apologising for the inconvience.

It's very easy to jump to conclusions as you've already done so but I think that ill be holding off on forming my opinion till I read a little more about these reissues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Dude111 wrote: »

Actually one of the best sounding albums of all I have is "The Nightfly" by Donald Fagen, so go figure. Its one of the first digitally recorded albums (81/82) and is really rated sound wise by audiophiles, so it pays to not be totally close minded when it comes to digital:

"Paul White, editor-in-chief of Sound On Sound magazine, said The Nightfly "is always a good reference for checking out monitoring systems and shows what good results could be obtained from those early digital recording systems in the right hands."In addition to its use in recording studio tests, Clive Young of Pro Sound News called Fagen's I.G.Y. the "Freebird" of Pro Audio, claiming that almost every live sound engineer uses the song to test the front-of-house system's sound response.".

Advertisement