Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I go back into 3rd year?

Options
  • 08-07-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey all. I missed my junior cert on grounds of me being sick and because I missed it, I got so depressed with my future I didn't even go in for the whole of transition year.

Anyway, now its summer and instead of going into 5th year I was wondering can I go back into 3rd year and do my junior cert?

Is that allowed?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm not sure whether it's permitted or not, it's certainly somewhat unconventional.

My personal point is that it wouldn't be the best decision to make. Most of what you learn at Junior Cert level isn't directly transferred to the Leaving Cert curriculum and that which is is generally thought again. If you're intending to complete your Leaving Cert, then I wouldn't bother. The Junior Cert is a fairly meaningless qualification these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

A kid in my class is in the same situation, he missed every day in third year and he didn't attend the Junior Cert. I don't know if he's repeating or moving on, I don't even think a repeat is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

A kid in my class is in the same situation, he missed every day in third year and he didn't attend the Junior Cert. I don't know if he's repeating or moving on, I don't even think a repeat is possible.

A friend of mine recently came to Ireland and his English isn't the best so as a result he was always behind in class and didn't do his JC so he is permitted to repeat 3rd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

If I remember correctly, you don't need to have your Junior Cert done to do your Leaving Cert. If that's correct than doing a good Leaving Cert shouldn't affect your future at all. There's always ways around things OP :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You also only have a certain number of years you can spend in school.

Just go into 5th year and look forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 xMarthaxD

Did you do your junior mocks? If you did them, there is absolutely no point in repeating third year. Even if you did not do them, I would move onto fifth year and not worry at all. Just look at your 5th year winter tests and then summer.
    Also since you somewhat did transition year, you will be 17 soon presumably. Then 18 doing the leaving. If you go and do third year now and then head into 5th year you will be presumably 19 doing the leaving? And if you want to repeat the leaving, 20! I am going into my leaving in september and I am 16!

So go into 5th year and if 5th or 6th year go bad, repeat one. But repeating the J.C is of little to no benefit when it comes to the leaving. Just look to the future not the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Don't listen to Martha, live the present. Repeat transition year then go back to 3rd year then repeat transition one more time. This will allow you to excel at life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

xMarthaxD wrote: »
    Did you do your junior mocks? If you did them, there is absolutely no point in repeating third year. Even if you did not do them, I would move onto fifth year and not worry at all. Just look at your 5th year winter tests and then summer.
    Also since you somewhat did transition year, you will be 17 soon presumably. Then 18 doing the leaving. If you go and do third year now and then head into 5th year you will be presumably 19 doing the leaving? And if you want to repeat the leaving, 20! I am going into my leaving in september and I am 16!

So go into 5th year and if 5th or 6th year go bad, repeat one. But repeating the J.C is of little to no benefit when it comes to the leaving. Just look to the future not the past.

I'm currently 16 and heading into TY. I'm no where near old enough to be doing my Leaving Cert and am very glad to be 19 doing mine. 20 if I have to repeat. Age isn't a factor to consider in terms of choosing whether or not to do TY or whether or not to repeat or whatever. It makes no difference, what-so-ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

xMarthaxD wrote: »

Leaving Cert at 16 ... I guess then you will have to wait a year or two before going to a college? I'll have mine done when i'm 18 :pac: .. and i'm sure most people are 17-19 when doing the leaving, age doesn't matter.

Advertisement