Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diary of a wanna be :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

Man you are a bit of an inspiration!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

SamBrugha wrote: »
    Man you are a bit of an inspiration!

Ah no, not an inspiration at all, but thanks for the comment. More a lunatic!

Had a wedding on Saturday, so was on the bike for 7am, got in 42k in 90 mins which was grand, spun the legs as they were still sore after Thurs.
    A LOT of standing up on Saturday and now have a full on numbness on the outside of the right leg, from 1/2 way down the thigh to just below the knee, numb to the touch which is a worry.
    Will buzz the doc and see what he says.

Must get on the bike for 30 mins tonight and get in some stretches. Last week was poor for core, need to get back at it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Appointment in Beaumont for 23rd Oct. Fingers crossed now that it will show some cause of the issues.

Wednesday I did an hour on the turbo, was late as had to bath the kids and get them to bed. Was an ok session, did it from TrainerRoad 10 min warmup with three 10 min 95% FTP blocks with 30 second breaks in between. My cadence sensor is playing up on the bike so not recorded right distance.
    Yesterday evening went out to do a quick session as it was late and running out of light.
    5km warmup and then 25k as quick as I could go, roads weren't ideal and stuck behind a frickin tractor on a really narrow road, but averaged out at 31kmph on the 25k section which was ok for me based on the last few months of spins.
    Phyiso sent me online training videos, a new thing she has. Have to get onto them now.

Oddly I seem to have developed weird shakes in both my arms, not all the time but it might last for a few mins at a time.
    The spasms were quite bad in bed last night, so very tired and sore today.
    47 days til the appointment. :D

Went out Sunday for a spin, didn't intend to go and brought the young lad to mass, but weather was too nice to sit at home :) Went into the wind for 25k and then had a belter on the way home. Was a good 53k spin.
    Mon and Tues were totally core, only 20 min sessions.
    Wed @6.30am was the stretching/yoga class. New sessions so new people and wasn't as intense.
    Went out then after work, managed just under 44k and a good 30kmph. Hip was roaring at me for the last 3 or 4 km.

• Advertisement

So 16 days til the appointment! Can't wait to see if I can get a cause of this.
    Training hasn't been good, just lacking energy and interest, seem to be tired all the time and weight if flaking on now.
    Been back to physio who said she couldn't see the point in continuing until I got reviewed as I wasn't sore.
    Did a back to back over the weekend just to use up the georgous weather here, did 28k on Sat morning and 66k (slow) on Sunday morning. So it was mighty just to get out. Oddly no pain in the hip but every time I tried to stay over 33kmph for more than say 30 seconds I felt my calves cramping so had to ease off.

Haven't gone back to pilates/yoga/stretching class now in about 3 weeks, too much to get out of bed at 5.50am been so tired, might try it this week.
    Physio told me to go onto a multi-mineral and a multi-vitamin and to be honest even after 1 week I feel a lot better and more positive.

Still a wannabe :D

Tomorrow is D-Day. It will be interesting!

Ok, so had the visit, Prof Bolger is a very nice person.

Talked through the conditions, checks the scans, read the MRI and physio and doc reports.
    A number of things came out of it, a crash back in 2009 where I was hit side impact at 80mph looks like it has done a lot of damage to the spine, not really noticed before.
    The cyst on the cord is in a place which is impacting 2 discs, he is going to get that out, probably not cancerous but he wants to check to be 100% sure.
    The fasciculations are odd, they are occurring around the calve and thigh on the right hand side, he said that one nerve would cause say the thigh issue, but the fact that I have it in 2 areas is unusual. Also the 100% numbness on 2 sections of the right leg is odd. He is referring me to a guy who specializes in this area.
    Have to have a CT scan, 2 of the disc are in very bad shape and one is dropping downwards, he said this could be highlighting a crack in the disc.
    IF that is the case then it will require a fusion, he doesn't like doing it on someone young, but he is afraid that this disc will pop out totally and even the one above it could pop out also. He labelled it as major surgery, requiring screws/bolts!

The main Q I wanted answered was the MS or similar conditions and he said its looking totally mechanical.

So sín é. More appointments anyway and no MS which is great relief!

Well another appointment due. Going to Bon Secours for a EMG/Nerve Conduction to Dr Moorhouse on Wednesday week so thats great.
    Power has been steadily reducing in that leg, ONLY after walking though if that makes sense.

Training wise hasn't been great, I have started doing "Insanity" workouts, just to keep me sane and to try and fight the fat. Bike wise its been realitively quite. I went out Sunday week, did just over 50k but had to get off at 35km as the tightness in the hip had spread to the knee. Haven't been on it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Man you have some serious health issues by the sounds of it. I hope you get them sorted out. What kind of core work are you doing. I recommend Tom Danielson's book. It's called core advantage and it's written especially for cyclists. Deals a lot with posture correction which may be an issue for you giving your accident. Also what's your 95% FTP? Always cool to compare numbers. Anything at that level on a turbo is hard.

• Advertisement

Man you have some serious health issues by the sounds of it. I hope you get them sorted out. What kind of core work are you doing. I recommend Tom Danielson's book. It's called core advantage and it's written especially for cyclists. Deals a lot with posture correction which may be an issue for you giving your accident. Also what's your 95% FTP? Always cool to compare numbers. Anything at that level on a turbo is hard.

Wouldn't call them serious to be honest, if I was dying with cancer or something then that would be serious, its an annoyance I need to sort out :D

I read the earlier post about "choral work" :D, at this rate all I might be able to do it sing at this rate :D

Core work, at the minute I am doing the insanity program or as much of it as I can, some exercises like "superman pose" are impossible and leave me in too much pain. The plank also is another of those which I find nigh impossible.
    I have had physios and a PT do up programs to help but all have conceded that any core programs aren't going to cure this program.

I will though have a look at any books, but I know myself its outside of what I can do myself now and need them to sort out the issues first.

My 95% FTP is 196, it was higher last year but I just fall off badly.

Just bought that book online there for 14 dollars :D

Will keep me quite for a few nights.

Siri for those with a strong Wesht Limerick accent is due out soon so there should be no more speakos. :)

Is 196 your HR or power? 1st 60 pages of the book are mainly medical speak and I could only read 2 pages at a time before my brain switched off but it's interesting reading all the same.

Siri for those with a strong Wesht Limerick accent is due out soon so there should be no more speakos. :)

Is 196 your HR or power? 1st 60 pages of the book are mainly medical speak and I could only read 2 pages at a time before my brain switched off but it's interesting reading all the same.

LOL, ah I am well used to the Limerick accent, spent over 6 years there, my 2nd home.

Its my power. AVG heart rate over say whats now "my normal" Sunday spin is over the last 5 rides is 156bpm, maxing at 186. You'd be talking around 60-65km per spin. All done on my own as I cant push it too long on the power without cramping so I can't go out with the club group I should be in and the other lower groups would be a little too slow. :o

Weekend was poor, minding the kids and was totally wiped out, so ZERO :( training.
    Had to have a chat with myself on Sunday night as the weight is now 14st 6, probably heaviest I have been in 2 years.

Decided to really do a job on the food and have set a 1500cal max for each day for the next 2 weeks, I should be able to shift 4 or 5 lbs.
    Of course thats the base, when I am exercise I will adjust according.
    Gone is bread, cereals, sh!IT food, very very little pasta, no bread. Smaller portions and having 5 sittings per day.
    Whats making it harder is that I am having to training during the week around 9pm as I can only get out when the kids go to bed and I can't manage to get out before 6am before I head to work.

Monday night was Insanity Plyometric Cardio Circuit - 41 mins long, mapmyrun has it at 900 cals or so, seems like a lot of cals for that workout though.
    Tues night was Cardio Power & Resistance - 40 mins long, marked as 540 cals.
    My glutes are killing me today and my calves feel like they will cramp at any minute.

Them workouts I find very tough as I am like an earthquake once the pressure goes on.
    Won't do a weigh in until Saturday.
    Tonight is Cardio Recovery, haven't done this before so we will see what its like.

Physio and doc have said that they can't see that the training I am doing is doing any more damage to keep it up, good for body and head.

Decided to the Insanity Cardio Recovery, 33 minutes, suggesting 469 calories burnt. A lot of stretching and core, feel great after it have to say, really helped my ass and legs recover.

Week hasn't been bad. Have been really watching all I eat and also I have done an Insanity workout each day except last Friday.
    I am finding the sessions very good, always reach a stage in each workout where I am "broke" for 10 seconds and have to take a break.
    They mix has been:

Mon - 35 min walk - 170 cals (roughly)
    - Insanity Plyometric - 41 mins - 947 cals (seems high but thats the official reading)
    Tues - 35 min walk - 170 cals (roughly)
    - Insanity Cardio Power and Resistance - 40 mins - 569 cals
    Wed - Insanity Cardio Recovery - 33 mins - 469 cals
    Thurs - Insanity Pure Cardio - 39 mins - 693 cals
    Saturday - Insanity Plyometric - 41 mins - 947 cals
    Sunday - Insanity Cardio Power and Resistance - 40 mins - 569 cals

Scales reading 2lbs less, but I feel much much better, don't feel as bloated which is great. Measuresments are slightly better, not a lot.
    But over 14st is still too heavy, will hope to get sub 14 before the xmas and then enjoy my xmas and go back at it again.

Back has been stiff and hips a little tight, but I notice that only in the mornings, after the workouts I feel great.

Trying to eat the right things after a 9pm workout is a balls, using recovery drink and then a cracker and either peanut butter or tuna to bring up the cals.
    According to the myfitnesspal recording, and I am measuring everything with a scales, I only averaged 1,000 cals per day intake AFTER the exercise was taken into consideration, think thats wrong though.
    The goal was 1300 before exercise, so I am running off 1300 less, need to correct that though in case I am only at that level, because that isnt the right way to do it.
    I haven't been on the bike/turbo at all, just think that for now I will do these sessions to see if I can strip poundage and help the core. The bike will come in time.

With the trip to Dublin on Wednesday for these tests it will interferre now with the training a little, don't think my legs will be up to it after 6+ hrs of driving and those tests.
    I might get in a big of the Insanity "abs work" on Wed morning.
    So tonight and tomorrow its more insanity.

Well tests done and outcome for those tests are good, totally ruled out nerve damage and any muscle diseases like MS and motor neuron. He said the tests didn't show up a thing which is causing the leg issues.
    He stuck a few needles into the things and calves and shot a few currents down them, had to do some pressure tests on the legs and he was happy with those also. He did though send me for an Xray on my hips as he thinks there could be an alignment issue or some damage from the crash in 2009.
    Dr Woodhouse and Prof Bolger both agree that the cyst has to come out and they think that the fact is pushing against the L5 so this could be the cause of my problems.
    So they have suggested to get it out before xmas, I won't hold my breath on that!

Training has been ok, just feeling a bit tired. Insanity workouts on Tues, missed Wednesday due to the travelling, Thurs was Plyometric Cardio and today was Cardio resistance.
    Diet was good, Wednesday I did have "cheat" to kinda celebrate the results, but for some reason I haven't shifted a pound this week.

Frustrating, but will keep going. Sub 14 before the xmas is still the goal! :D

Good to hear. Did you make up the names for your workouts yourself or are they Sufferfest workouts? They sound mad.

Good to hear. Did you make up the names for your workouts yourself or are they Sufferfest workouts? They sound mad.

lol no, they are the Insanity workouts.

insanity-workouts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

have been following your log - great news about the tests. Is insanity worse or better than the turbo in terms of boredom? Is it the kind of thing that you can keep doing or do you get to the end and thats it for the season?

• Advertisement

Ryder wrote: »
    have been following your log - great news about the tests. Is insanity worse or better than the turbo in terms of boredom? Is it the kind of thing that you can keep doing or do you get to the end and thats it for the season?

Thanks buck, suppose it actually helps to type it up whats happening and put a bit of logic on it.

I find the turbo sound to be honest with you, I have some of the sufferfest videos, I have big tv on the wall for watching the channels and I have trainer road also which is great.
    I found a few workout videos on a download site also so I downloaded those, give you 1hr sessions.

Insanity is great, I am finding it very tough as I am a) on the verge of cramping all day b) my fitness is pants, but oddly if I come away from a workout whether it be insanity, weights, turbo or out on the bike and am not emptied then I feel I wasted the time.

Go the official letter today from the visit last Wednesday, LOADS of medical stuff! But he stated that Motor Neurons is NOT an issue, didn't mention MS, but I am happy he said it wasn't an issue.
    He mentioned L5 nerve issues, so will see what that leads to when it goes back to Prof Bolger.
    No mention of pre Xmas op.

I didn't do anything tonight, I went out on the bike and 13 mins in I was awful tight in my right hip and that started dragging the muscle on the outside of the knee so I got in only 1.5 hours at an avg of 24.5kmph, which is cat bad for the weather conditions that were in it.
    Ice tonight and rest maybe for 2 or 3 days.

I dont really mind the turbo either, although use rollers exclusively now. In fact the really depressing thing is that I havent been out on a training spin (commuting excluded) in months.....when I have only 2 hours to do a spin I find myself choosing an hour on the rollers instead to maximise the time

When I lived in Ireland I had a set of adjustable dumbbells - great for training at home. Need to get another set..

Poor week, not sure whats going on here now. Zero energy have fallen asleep at 8pm 2 days during the week and got 11 hours sleep but still zero improvement.
    Have a dulling headache now since Thurs but told its related to the cyst... don't know how they know that.
    Exercise wish its be almost zero, a lot of tightness in lower back and hips made me go and do the Insanity Cardio recovery, it helped a little but I had very little power for the 30 mins program.

Got a letter re the xray on Friday. Hips are causing no concern though they have noticed a calcium build up on the right (paining) hip and they want another xray in 2 months to ensure its not growing.

I have noticed before that when I do train I have more energy, but at this moment in time I am just wrecked tired and the dull headache doesn't encourage me at all.

Weight wise, no change at all.

Its been a month now, things not going well, training has ceased and my weight has gone up now to just under 15st.
    Total lack of energy and pain in my legs means my ability to train has gone, suffering a cold for 3 weeks also and no matter how much sleep I have I get no recovery, it seems to be worse when I sleep.
    Shakes are now very evident in my arms and have become violent in the right leg. Walking ability is circa 10 mins continuous without a rest.

On the treatment front I have a CT scan next Thurs 16th and then I am up to Dublin again for the final meeting to decide what we are going to do.
    The options are:
    a) Remove cyst, ensure not cancerous and hope that fixes it.
    b) If discs are damaged do a double fusion, plate and bolt. Circa 4 weeks out. Be 3 months before I can cycle, be 6 before I can run.
    c) If disc is cracked then need to do triple fusion, be in hospital for 9 days, out for min 8 weeks, 6 months before I can cycle and over 1 year before I can run.

So fingers crossed its option a), the other 2 are too depressing to contemplate.

On the the up side the sun shone today! :D

Ok, well today is D-Day!!
    Had CT scan there last Thurs and then meeting with Prof Bolger today, nervous to say the least!!

I got a few turbo sessions in the last few weeks, poor avg but great to get legs spinning.
    Weight hit just under 15 stone, but I have shed weight and down to 14 7lbs now.

Started swimming lessons now also. So that may help keep things ticking over! :D

Ok, so this is the update.
    I am getting away with the best of the 3 options, for now.
    Discussed his findings and agreed on an approach.
    1 disc is fractured, he is saying it occurred when I was a teen, possible impact during sport, not necessarily a fall, which I dont recall a fall.

The cyst is sitting against the spinal cord and he is 99% happy that this is the cause of all my fasciculations and weakness, he also noted it has grown and he said that cysts like that which grow can be "nasty" so he wants it out.
    So we are going to take that out first, get it sent off and ensure that its not "nasty".
    We will see if that fixes the issues, the discs aren't great, but he is confident that I will return to form of 2 years ago when the cyst is out, that he doesnt want to do a fusion for the sake of it.
    If removing the cyst doesn't work, then we need to reassess and look at a double fusion.

I am booked in for surgury since Oct so he expects I will get a letter in the next 2 weeks, if not then I need to get onto them and we might move it to a private hospital.

So thats it for now, I AM relieved :D

Fingers crossed it works!!!

yop wrote: »
    Ok, so this is the update.
    I am getting away with the best of the 3 options, for now.
    Discussed his findings and agreed on an approach.
    1 disc is fractured, he is saying it occurred when I was a teen, possible impact during sport, not necessarily a fall, which I dont recall a fall.

The cyst is sitting against the spinal cord and he is 99% happy that this is the cause of all my fasciculations and weakness, he also noted it has grown and he said that cysts like that which grow can be "nasty" so he wants it out.
    So we are going to take that out first, get it sent off and ensure that its not "nasty".
    We will see if that fixes the issues, the discs aren't great, but he is confident that I will return to form of 2 years ago when the cyst is out, that he doesnt want to do a fusion for the sake of it.
    If removing the cyst doesn't work, then we need to reassess and look at a double fusion.

I am booked in for surgury since Oct so he expects I will get a letter in the next 2 weeks, if not then I need to get onto them and we might move it to a private hospital.

So thats it for now, I AM relieved :D

Fingers crossed it works!!!

glad you got an answer and best of luck with the surgery. Keep us updated when you're able

Ryder wrote: »
    glad you got an answer and best of luck with the surgery. Keep us updated when you're able

Thanks v much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Best of luck with it, hopefully this will sort you out, it's never nice going to hospitals for tests, then waiting for results and the docs to come up with a plan but at least you know the road ahead now.

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    Best of luck with it, hopefully this will sort you out, it's never nice going to hospitals for tests, then waiting for results and the docs to come up with a plan but at least you know the road ahead now.

Cheers hey, ya HOPEFULLY I might get back on the bike for May time.

Advertisement