Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance - contents insurance in a shared rented house?

Options
  • 08-07-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here knew the best way to get contents insurance for a share rented property in Dublin?

Can one policy be shared between the members of the house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You insure your own goods. Nothing more.

For a shared property, each person should have their own insurance for their own property.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Paulw wrote: »
    You insure your own goods. Nothing more.

For a shared property, each person should have their own insurance for their own property.

Oh right, I wasn't aware of that. And there are no insurance companies that will allow a communal policy?

Would anyone here have recommendations for a single policy for myself. Less than €5000 worth of contents, laptop, iPhone, various other bits and bobs cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Deedsie wrote: »
    Oh right, I wasn't aware of that. And there are no insurance companies that will allow a communal policy?

I don't think any insurance company would do a communal policy as you need an insurable interest to have a valid insurance policy - for example, you don't have an interest in your mates laptop or he any interest in your fancy trainers!

I don't think any insurance company would do a communal policy as you need an insurable interest to have a valid insurance policy - for example, you don't have an interest in your mates laptop or he any interest in your fancy trainers!

Fancy trainers? The very cheek :-)

Ah I think I understand, I'll explain that to the other lads in the house. Thanks for the reply. Would there be any policy or company recommended for tenants contents insurance?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Fancy trainers? The very cheek :-)

Ah I think I understand, I'll explain that to the other lads in the house. Thanks for the reply. Would there be any policy or company recommended for tenants contents insurance?

Personally, I don't think any of them differ too much, except on the price. You'll need to sit down and try a few, and they all have websites that can give you quotes there and then.
    I have my contents insurance with BOI, but that was tied to my mortgage and life assurance so I got a 'package/loyalty' discount.

If you have items that you take outside of the house (smart phones, laptop, bikes) then try get insurance that will cover them off the premises too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Not many, if any, insurers will offer a policy to an individual in a communal situation. It has to do with control of access to the property. If you can convince them that you have full control over your section of the property, you are in with a chance

oldyouth wrote: »
    Not many, if any, insurers will offer a policy to an individual in a communal situation. It has to do with control of access to the property. If you can convince them that you have full control over your section of the property, you are in with a chance

Course they do..that is why there is contents only insurance and insurance for landlords.

Even in my own situation there is building insurance as part of my management fee, I have content insurance and my lodger has her own content insurance. You just have to declare the situation you are in so that the insurance company can assess the risk appropriately.

Course they do..that is why there is contents only insurance and insurance for landlords.

Even in my own situation there is building insurance as part of my management fee, I have content insurance and my lodger has her own content insurance. You just have to declare the situation you are in so that the insurance company can assess the risk appropriately.
    What has 'landlords insurance' got to do with this discussion from the OPs point of view?

oldyouth wrote: »
    What has 'landlords insurance' got to do with this discussion from the OPs point of view?

It was an example of the products available for the rental market. The insurance companies are aware of the set ups and amended their product offerings.

It was an example of the products available for the rental market. The insurance companies are aware of the set ups and amended their product offerings.
    A landlord can easily get appropriate cover from a number of insurers, as can a single occupancy tenant. It is not easy (if at all) for a tenant to obtain cover for his own belongings if he is in a communal occupancy situation with other persons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dah

Its a very limited market for a sole tenant to get contents only cover.

I'd be interested to know also if there is a market for contents cover for shared tenants. I'd be very surprised and cant think of any providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

I rang around a few companies looking to get contents insurance like this about 2 weeks ago. None of them would cover me. It seems to be only a single person, couples or families. Can't believe there isn't an option for people sharing.

If anyone hears of one, please post it. I will try a few more companies and see if I have any joy.

Edit. Just found this other thread:
    sadie9 wrote: »
    Yes I think a good few of them do. What you are looking for is Contents insurance on it's own. I know Eagle star definitely used to do it or look on www.123.ie. It's fairly cheap for the year.

2nd Edit: 123 don't do it apparently

3rd Edit: Rang Chill.ie and they were able to sort me out to cover my contents in the house.

^^^^^^

Glad to hear you got the cover. Will you check the conditions on the theft section? Make sure there are no onerous exclusions. In a communal situation, it is a problem with the number of keyholders involved, in addition to any visitors they let in to the premises

I got a quote from liberty insurance for contents cover including a pedal cycle worth €600 for €162.75 per year...

The landlords house insurance is with liberty, I wonder would it be worth linking them together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

You can't. Landlord has no insurable interest in your contents.

Advertisement