Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third Party Modem Recommendations

Options
  • 08-07-2013 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi,
    I looked this up on boards already and cannot find such a thread. (sorry if there is)
    I am looking for a new router as I currently have both of eircoms models (the Zyxel and motorola Netopia)
    The Zyxel was bought to replace a failing Netopia, when it was received after paying €50, it had various issues in terms of wireless and high latency ('ping') problems.
    I then tried the Zyxel power adaptor on the netopia and bang it was working back to old standards since then I have been using that but it's now back to being problematic (dl speed down to 0.4mb/s when it is normally is 1.7mb/s and various issues when two devices are connected) and am back on the Zyxel which is working in a acceptable way.

This is not a looking for a refund thread or fixing, I would like to hear recommendations from others of modem routers that they have had a good experience with or can recommend in any way (preferably not too costly :)) and I will compare and consider buying. And I have an idea on how to set up these.
    (I am not the account holder but being the youngest I am charged with all the techy problems!)
    Thanks in advance
    Owen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi ow9654,

I am sorry to hear the issues you are having.

Have you reported this to our technical support team on 1890 260 260 (telephone number and option 0) They can troubleshoot with you to identify the issue.

Thanks

Tracey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ow9654

Well, I troubleshooted using your online service, but to be honest I would like an upgrade anyway, from what I hear the Zyxel is a pretty poor router (no offense meant), would like an improvement from Netgear or Belkin for example.
    Thanks anyway

No problem, sorry I can't help you any further from here.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭andublin

I researched this, As far as I could find out, routers with a Broadcom chipset seem to have best stability on a poor line. Your speeds seem to indicate that. One name that came up most was the Billion; BiPAC 7800N.

I confirm from experience that Xyzel are truly unstable on poor lines, though OK on good/stable ones.
    I never bought the Billion, as Eircom eFibre or UPC is a better option if available. Please let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I'm going to jump in and say that the new DSL Zyxel (white one) is a vast improvement on the previous black one. My line is not great, but I get pretty good stability. Only 2 dropped sync in the nast few weeks, whereas the previous Zyxel would drop multiple times a day, and sometimes for longer than a few hours.

I also have a cheap TP-Link, which is pretty stable too.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input guys,I looked at the billon, too expensive for me I'm afraid. Cheapest I can find is €150, I'd be looking for something in the €50 region, need to get my computer sorted aswell as this.
    I actually borrowed a Belkin last week, pretty happy with its output, this one costs around €25 on ebay so its a good option (for me atleast)
    I can't find any of the white Zyxels for sale, but will keep an eye out.

Thanks again guys
    Owen

ow9654 wrote: »
    I can't find any of the white Zyxels for sale, but will keep an eye out.

Ask Eircom... they'll give you one for free.

gerryk wrote: »
    Ha, I'd doubt that, but will contact eircom to see :)

I'm going to jump in and say that the new DSL Zyxel (white one) is a vast improvement on the previous black one. My line is not great, but I get pretty good stability. Only 2 dropped sync in the nast few weeks, whereas the previous Zyxel would drop multiple times a day, and sometimes for longer than a few hours.

I also have a cheap TP-Link, which is pretty stable too.
    http://www.onestoppcshop.co.uk/networks/routers/td-w8951nd.html
    Would that be the TP link you're referring to? I'd be willing to give that a go, I see it's in argos but will cost £30 (guessing you got it there?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

With another 12 months contract ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Netgear dg834gt. Great stability on poor lines.

Ha, I'd doubt that, but will contact eircom to see :)

They did for me. I just told them that my black Zyxel was faulty and they sent a new one. No contract extension or anything.

http://www.onestoppcshop.co.uk/networks/routers/td-w8951nd.html
    Would that be the TP link you're referring to? I'd be willing to give that a go, I see it's in argos but will cost £30 (guessing you got it there?)

Yup. That's it.

Turns out they cant process my order due to software issues on the site, it did not add VAT or the shipping to Ireland...
    So I see: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Used-TP-Link-300Mbps-Access-Point-TL-WA801ND-/321159335079?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item4ac6968ca7&autorefresh=true
    TP Link still but a faster one with 2 antennas, might go for that...

Did you try asking Eircom for a new router?

Well, my dad did being the account holder, he did't say exactly what had been said but he said no...
    Anyway I've got the one of adverts and it should be here today I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Well, my dad did being the account holder, he did't say exactly what had been said but he said no...
    Anyway I've got the one of adverts and it should be here today I guess.
    Hi ow9654

eircom are now providing a Zyxel D100 as a replacement for the older modems. Is that what was arranged with support?

Thanks, Mark

Hi ow9654

eircom are now providing a Zyxel D100 as a replacement for the older modems. Is that what was arranged with support?

Thanks, Mark
    Seems like nothing was arranged perhaps I should contact support myself...
    Thanks

Seems like nothing was arranged perhaps I should contact support myself...
    Thanks

Hi ow9654

If your dad is happy to arrange the replacement modem, which does have improved wifi signal and range.  Broadband support 1890 260 260 can arrange once the account number and details are confirmed.

Thanks, Mark

Hi ow9654

If your dad is happy to arrange the replacement modem, which does have improved wifi signal and range.  Broadband support 1890 260 260 can arrange once the account number and details are confirmed.

Thanks, Mark
    Great, I'll see what happens with the TP Link first since it is on its way, I believe.
    Thank you!

• Advertisement

Great, I'll see what happens with the TP Link first since it is on its way, I believe.
    Thank you!

No problem,

Here is some info on the TP link - http://bit.ly/17CUmXg

Let us know if you need to follow up on anything for you when you get it.

Thanks. Mark

Well got the router today, VERY easy to set up took 3 minutes and it allows me to set the password aswell which I like! (save people continously asking me all 20 something letters and numbers when I can just say it!)
    Been using it for 30 mins DL speed is about the same as it was when the Netopia was going good but stability is great! Browsing is quicker too will update in a few days if all is well! I fthings go bad will update sooner :)
    Owen

Well got the router today, VERY easy to set up took 3 minutes and it allows me to set the password aswell which I like! (save people continously asking me all 20 something letters and numbers when I can just say it!)
    Been using it for 30 mins DL speed is about the same as it was when the Netopia was going good but stability is great! Browsing is quicker too will update in a few days if all is well! I fthings go bad will update sooner
    Owen

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the update.

Keep us posted.

Mark

Been using it for 30 mins DL speed is about the same as it was when the Netopia was going good but stability is great! Browsing is quicker too will update in a few days if all is well! I fthings go bad will update sooner
    Owen
    FYI, you can set up a 'guest' SSID, and segment it from your LAN, to avoid giving people access to your primary AP, and also avoing having to give them a big, secure key.

Well, the TP-Link has improved download speed, however, stability/ping in games is pretty much the same and I cannot find the problem (though I have suspicions its my brother on his laptop watching films etc)

Well, the TP-Link has improved download speed, however, stability/ping in games is pretty much the same and I cannot find the problem (though I have suspicions its my brother on his laptop watching films etc)
    [font=Times New Roman", "serif]Hi ow9654, [/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif] [/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]That's good to hear your download speed has improved. If you would like to see can you improve the stability you can contact our support team on 1890 260 260, they will troubleshoot with you but it could be your brother watching films that is causing the problems. However it is no harm contacting them to make sure.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]Tracey [/font]

The TP Link router has QoS, which means you can prioritise your gaming traffic over streaming. Streaming doesn't suffer as badly from latency, since it is stateless... a dropped or late packet isn't really noticeable, whereas in gaming it means you are standing still while your head gets blown off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

Advertisement