Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenging Projects around Blackrock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭spillit67

How many of those people really really need to drive there? That's the problem, most of them probably live within a 10/15 minute walk of the place.

Not really to be honest. Given the religious position (or former position) it attracts people from all over and a certain type of local.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

spillit67 wrote: »
    The 4 comes every 15 minutes. Blackrock has commuter trains that go by doesn't it? The 114 is hooked upto the Green Luas line too.

Again, the dart is nowhere near me
    114 buses are an hour apart and luas line no use to me or anyone who lives in another county

after 8.30 in the evening the 4 is every half hour
    During the day, given that its a cross city bus, its frequently half hour (or more) between and then two come together
    What I described above is the easiest way for me to get to my place of work by public transport, but cheers for the friendly advice

Newtownpark Avenue is a far busier road and that part has only gotten busier with the Monkstown Ring Road bringing traffic lights down there. I can understand why the residents are pissed off.

What is the schools role in this? Surely they thought of this as a possibility before?

They have massive blinkers on from what I can tell
    The secondary school have claimed all the parking that's left outside the building site so it doesn't really affect them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's not up to employers to provide parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

lolo62 wrote: »
    Im not sure you know what you are talking about there with public transport
    I did it for two years and would happily sell my car and get the bus if it was a viable option. I personally hate driving.

When using Dublin bus leaving home at 1 to get a bus to town I would then wait for a 4 on oconnell bridge that might or might not come, get that out to blackrock to start work at 3 o'clock
    finishing at 8.30 walk to the bus stop ( the 7 at that time of night randomely wont go all the way into town stopping at rds which means a three bus journey home) to get the next 4 which is at 9 o'clock into town and wait on aston quay for another half an hour for a bus that would get me home for 10.
    that's 3 and a half hours travelling time for 5 hours work, and that would be on a good day, by that I mean busses showing up on time (or at all)
    dart is nowhere near me

also some teachers commute from arklow, ardee etc so obviously public transport not possible in these situations

so to answer your question, needing.

I do know quite a bit about public transport.

Why did you never try the Dart to get you into town? If you're waiting at O'Connell Bridge, Tara Street is a five minute walk from there and Aston Quay is similar.The trains are usually reasonably on time, the school is a 15 minute walk from Seapoint Dart max and the Dart will get you to there quicker than the bus.

Did you try using Real Time Passenger Information through your smart phone or on the web for the stop you were waiting at?

Have you tried www.a-b.ie to see if there were better public transport options?

• Advertisement

I do know quite a bit about public transport.

Why did you never try the Dart to get you into town? If you're waiting at O'Connell Bridge, Tara Street is a five minute walk from there and Aston Quay is similar.The trains are usually reasonably on time, the school is a 15 minute walk from Seapoint Dart max and the Dart will get you to there quicker than the bus.

Did you try using Real Time Passenger Information through your smart phone or on the web for the stop you were waiting at?

Have you tried www.a-b.ie to see if there were better public transport options?

Ah you're insulting my intelligence now.
    I'm off, happy posting and happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 annoyed mum

I HAVE TO DRIVE there every day public transport is not an option & the weight of those school books would break the back off a 13 yr old.I feel sorry for the Teachers there is no place for them to park & to come out from a days work to find a 40 e parking fine on their car is mad.The Residence many of them knew there was a school there before they bought those houses.I do not know what the schools role in this is they probably feel (my opinion) that it is outside the gate so nothing to do with them

I HAVE TO DRIVE there every day public transport is not an option & the weight of those school books would break the back off a 13 yr old.I feel sorry for the Teachers there is no place for them to park & to come out from a days work to find a 40 e parking fine on their car is mad.The Residence many of them knew there was a school there before they bought those houses.I do not know what the schools role in this is they probably feel (my opinion) that it is outside the gate so nothing to do with them

Laughable. These people have to LIVE there. You just have to collect your kid from school. There are numerous spots to pull in around the area where your 13 year old can walk to (having to walk 5 minutes, the horror).

lolo62 wrote: »
    Ah you're insulting my intelligence now.
    I'm off, happy posting and happy Christmas!

Tbf the idea that the area Newpark is in is bad for transport is a nonsese. With real time it is very easy to plan your journey now. The picture you painted is completely ott.

Why not simply park 10/15 minutes away from the school if PT really is such an inconvenience? This is the reality a lot of people have to face commuting, getting parking provided for you is a luxury.

There the same size bags we had when we went to school, cycled everyday from rathfarnham to Terenure with a school bag on my back, rugby training gear on my crossbar and often a third bag for other sports.
    Up to 2006 few households had 2 cars and much more kids cycled or got PT. The residents knew there was a school there alright, they probably moved there so that the kids could walk to their local school. Most kids tend to go to local schools so no excuse for kids getting lifts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Annoyed mum I completely agree with you about the school books. I am a teacher in my 20s (so not out if school that long myself!) and the majority of subjects have 3 books plus a copy and or a hardback. We never had that many when I was in school in fact I can't even remember having workbooks, now all most if not all subjects have a workbook! Also they now do more subjects at junior cycle than previously. (I think they doing 11!) Alot of students do not live locally so a number of them get lifts. I would say it is just a nightmare with the school, music centre and sports centre at the minute. The sports centre is going to get refurbished soon so will be closed during this time so that may ease things a little. I think it is happening in the new year (if it hasn't started already!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Why don't children use the small cabin bags on wheels.
    When are we ever going to scrap all these books and have workbooks and computers.
    When are people going to realize that with an ever expanding population (Europe's fastest growing:(:(:(:(),
    how can we possibly still believing that the car is the way to get from A to B. Start walking, take public transport, CYCLE.

Time everyone was forced to go to the nearest school. End of.

Something has to give.:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Chinasea wrote: »
    Why don't children use the small cabin bags on wheels.
    When are we ever going to scrap all these books and have workbooks and computers.
    When are people going to realize that with an ever expanding population (Europe's fastest growing:(:(:(:(),
    how can we possibly still believing that the car is the way to get from A to B. Start walking, take public transport, CYCLE.

Time everyone was forced to go to the nearest school. End of.

Something has to give.:confused::confused:

Chinasea Newpark is the only free church of Ireland school in south county dublin, the students come from far and wide. I don't agree if someone is CofI they should be forced to go to the local catholic secondary school, nor should they have to pay to go to a fee paying CofI school (I know you can get a bursary or an education grant but it can still be quite expensive).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Millem wrote: »
    Chinasea Newpark is the only free church of Ireland school in south county dublin, the students come from far and wide. I don't agree if someone is CofI they should be forced to go to the local catholic secondary school, nor should they have to pay to go to a fee paying CofI school (I know you can get a bursary or an education grant but it can still be quite expensive).

Yep, I'm all for free schools. Totally agree with that. I'm all for religion free schools too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I got news this week for the new rates for the Guardian Angels church car park.

Unfortunately, I have no link to a website for these rates. The car park service will be run by Nationwide Controlled Parking Services (NCPS) in Mount Street, Dublin 2.

Daily Rate: 0.50c
    Hourly Rate: €1.00
    Day Rate: €5.00

The parking is free when people from the parish are attending church services. There is additional parking spaces located at the back of the church if you go by the Murray Centre on the church's right hand side.

Also, the new houses for Melfort are nearly finished on the outside. The materials used for the houses exterior are a mix of red brick and granite.

I heard a rumour from my local neighbour some time ago that these new houses are to be priced at €400,000 each when completed.

I got news this week for the new rates for the Guardian Angels church car park.

Unfortunately, I have no link to a website for these rates. The car park service will be run by Nationwide Controlled Parking Services (NCPS) in Mount Street, Dublin 2.

Daily Rate: 0.50c
    Hourly Rate: €1.00
    Day Rate: €5.00

The parking is free when people from the parish are attending church services. There is additional parking spaces located at the back of the church if you go by the Murray Centre on the church's right hand side.

Also, the new houses for Melfort are nearly finished on the outside. The materials used for the houses exterior are a mix of red brick and granite.

I heard a rumour from my local neighbour some time ago that these new houses are to be priced at €400,000 each when completed.

Very good for that part of Newtownpark Avenue, badly needed some development

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

http://tinyurl.com/pzzu8px

Planning application lodged last week for redevelopment of Frascati SC. No drawings are uploaded yet, but I'd imagine they should be up within a week or so.

This is the main part of the development description:

The proposed development provides for the part demolition and extension of the shopping centre to the north-east (towards Frascati road) and to the north-west to provide for an expansion of the retail, retail services, restaurant/café and ancillary floor space at lower ground, ground, first and second floor level, including a terrace for the second floor level restaurant. A lower ground and podium level of car parking is proposed in the north-east and north-west part of the site. The development consists of a building comprising part two/part three storeys over existing lover ground (basement) level of retail and a proposed lower ground floor level car park. The rejuvenation of Frascati Shopping Centre will comprise of 19,592 sqm gross floor area (GFA) of existing retained and proposed floor space, in addition to a lower ground floor level car park with a GFA of 6,158 sqm (total GFA including lower ground level car park of 25,750 sqm). The existing centre has a total GFA of 10,239 sqm. The rejuvenated shopping centre will consist of 16,020 sqm GFA of lettable retail, retail services and restaurant/café floor space, compared with 9,358 sqm lettable floor space in the existing centre. The proposed development provides for a net increase of 6,662 sqm GFA of lettable retail, retail services and restaurant/café floor space. the total floor space to be demolished, including mall floor space, is 1,708 sqm GFA. The proposal also provides for the demolition of the entrance lobby and canopy to the north-east elevation, the entrance lobby and canopy to the south-west elevation and the canopy to the north-west elevation of the existing shopping centre building. The development will be served by 556 no. car parking spaces and 170 no. cycle spaces at lower ground, ground (surface) and podium level. The proposal incorporates associated signage, including one no. totem sign fronting Frascati Road, a 'Frascati' centre sign and two no. anchor store signs on the north-east elevation, one no. anchor store sign and one no. 'Frascati' centre sign on the north-west elevation, one no. entrance sign on the south-west elevation and one no. sign on the south-east elevation. A new landscaped open space area is provided to the north-east of the rejuvenated shopping centre adjacent to Frascati Road.

They also intend to close the car park entrance by McDonalds, and improve the entrance at the intersection, to also include a right-turn into the centre from traffic heading southbound on the Frascati Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 In The Conversation

Newpark school redevelopment seems to be coming along quite nicely.
    Also see that the Melfort housing development alongside it is nearing completion. They are built in the style that you see a lot of the energy efficient homes these days. (Not that aesthetically pleasing.) Would have rather seen them build in a similar style to the new houses that were build in front of the Elm Park complex on the Rock Road. It is a similar sized site. I think the ones in front of Elm Park look a lot better than the Melfort houses.
    Anybody heard anything about what they plan to do with the Melfort houses when finished? Rent/Sell/Prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Newpark school redevelopment seems to be coming along quite nicely.
    Also see that the Melfort housing development alongside it is nearing completion. They are built in the style that you see a lot of the energy efficient homes these days. (Not that aesthetically pleasing.) Would have rather seen them build in a similar style to the new houses that were build in front of the Elm Park complex on the Rock Road. It is a similar sized site. I think the ones in front of Elm Park look a lot better than the Melfort houses.
    Anybody heard anything about what they plan to do with the Melfort houses when finished? Rent/Sell/Prices?

Elm park houses are not exactly new, it's a restored old terrace, hence traditional look.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

mhge wrote: »
    Elm park houses are not exactly new, it's a restored old terrace, hence traditional look.
    Yep, Llandaff Terrace as it's known is a set of 19th century buildings. They're listed (hence why they weren't demolished during the construction of Elm Park). From a distance it's a big improvement on the hoardings that were there for so long. Although when you look closely at the quick-and-dirty renovation that was done, you can see that they haven't exactly done an amazing job at preserving them.

• Advertisement

What is going on at the old Playwright? A lot of work was going on when I went by the other day.:eek: No sign of planning.

What is going on at the old Playwright? A lot of work was going on when I went by the other day.:eek: No sign of planning.

Planning lasts a number of years, there was definitely plans submitted a while back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

According to this thread, it's the end of the Playwright as we currently know it, to be reborn as Tesco/Aldi/Lidl etc.

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&p=779144

That was rumoured years ago. They looked for planning and were rejected. The Butlers bought it for 10 million iirc correctly.

Has there been any other planning signs? I haven't seen a thing and I go by regularly.

Either way something needs to be done with it. It has fallen into complete disrepair. That was a very poor investment by them, they didn't know the market.

The rumour is that a tesco express and Starbucks are going in there. The Butler brothers run the Starbucks franchise in Dublin.

The pp to extend the building and turn it in to a shop was rejected in early 2012. However if you look at the dlrcoco site the same plans were appealed and subsequently approved in late 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Well than tell me why I am seeing stuff from the planning forms from the Village Craft Centre in Cornelscourt that is to extend and refurbish the current Playwright building?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Well than tell me why I am seeing stuff from the planning forms from the Village Craft Centre in Cornelscourt that is to extend and refurbish the current Playwright building?

Or you could provide links to the planning forms and then everyone would be clear on the situation.

z

I think that's just a health and safety certificate for one of the contracters.

Because village craft centre is the address of one of the contractors working on the project.

• Advertisement
Advertisement