Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a room

Options
  • 08-07-2013 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advise, I'm planning on leaving the country for work for the next 2 years, I'll be traveling the world and will in essence have no fixed abode, I'll have the use of an apartment in London were I'll be flying in and out of for a few days here and a few days there.
    My question is, I'm planning on renting my place to a friend and the agreement is that she'll have use of the house but the small box room will be kept for me, for when I get a chance to come back to Dublin, hopefully every 2 months or there abouts.
    Would this qualify under the rent a room scheme? All my bills and paperwork will be sent to this address but I'll be paid under the uk tax system but if I am out the UK for more than a 182 days a year I won't be paying tax at all, which is highly likely.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It sounds a little bit contrived, so get advice from an accountant.

the normal definition of 'home' is where you go at the end of the day. You admit this might not happen for months.

You will likely end up paying tax somewhere, which may also need the accountant. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I imagine it will come down to where you are tax resident. I can't imagine revenue accepting this house as your PPR if you are tax resident elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Yeah you see the tax resident thing is a tricky one, as I'll be working on ships and the tax implications are different from when you work ashore. But you're both right, I'm off to have a chat with my accountant. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Have a chat with your accountant but I'd say being a seafarer will enable you to pull it off legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

If your an IRISH* seafarer and your registered with the Irish revenue as living in Ireland for tax purposes then it would be your Principal Private Residence so even though your abroad it's still your PPR and thus a rent a room.

This link got posted up on a FB page for Irish seafarers and it explains the Irish/UK tax system Growth Accountants, it'll give you a basic idea of the two systems but you'll still need to talk to an accountant - is the accountant your going to familar with the seafarer rules, some aren't and it gets annoying if they don't

* = VERY important as the UK & Eire have reciprocal tax agreements but different ideas of what is resident/non-resident

• Advertisement
Advertisement