Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€50 per room painting in Limerick Post

• 08-07-2013 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

I was looking in Limerick Post classifieds and there are lots of guys saying they'll paint a room for €50. This really seems too good to be true. Has anyone used any of these guys? Perhaps the room needs to be tiny - like box bedroom or prison cell maybe. Perhaps you need to pay extra for ceilings?

Failing this is anyone here a painter or recommend a painter/decorator to do walls/ceilings/skirting in living room/kitchen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

As a tradesman I beg you to reconsider this.

I don't care what anyone says, you get what you pay for especially when employing skilled labour.

I realise that prices have come down recently and everybody has had to get competitive to win the custom but I would much rather pay someone €100 to paint a room and be sure that it got two, neat coats of paint and took the day to do.

For €50 I imagine you're getting one coat and a few floor splashes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

I don't care what anyone says, you get what you pay for especially when employing skilled labour.

I realise that prices have come down recently and everybody has had to get competitive to win the custom but I would much rather pay someone €100 to paint a room and be sure that it got two, neat coats of paint and took the day to do.

Problem is it is hard to decern who is going to do a good job even at a higher rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

So:
    1. Get several free copies of the Limerick Post, lay the sheets on the floor.
    2. Get a €50 per room guy in to paint the room.
    3. Get another €50 per room guy in to do a second coat.
    4. Gather up the newspaper with all their splashes.

Job done! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I couldn't find a painter for €100 let alone imagine what a €50 job would be like.

I'm still looking but wouldn't dare pay €50. It's a "get what you pay for" thing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I painted the walls on the hall, stairs and landing at home the summer I did the Leaving Cert. €50 seemed like a lot of money at the time...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I couldn't find a painter for €100 let alone imagine what a €50 job would be like.

I'm still looking but wouldn't dare pay €50. It's a "get what you pay for" thing.

I rang a few and they all say they do a perfect job but hard to know - I can't paint - back injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was in a friends house last year and they were showing me the paint job that they had got done and other than to say it was clean it was hard to see any positives.

I do my own DIY so may notice stuff others wouldn't but it was really close to being a botched job.

The house owner bought the paint but strangely when I offered to touch up a piece near the fireplace where they left a gaping hole the owner said there was no paint left, the tins were all empty - my thoughts were had they to water down the paint to finish the job or did they transfer the paint to a can of their own, just found it odd that all the cans of various colours were empty.

Be careful and try and check a job they've done before letting them loose in your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I guess if you were on the dole and lashed it out of it, with no materials, then €50 quid for getting out of the house for the day is not the worst!
    If you were trying to earn a living, one not subsidised by the taxpayer, then €50 is way below what you would need.
    As an ex decorator,I would say that to paint an average room it would take a day and a bit, depending on what you had to do.
    Two coats to the ceiling, fill and caulk skirtings, two coats to the walls and undercoat and gloss woodwork. Can't be done in one day, unless you take a shortcut or two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I painted the walls on the hall, stairs and landing at home the summer I did the Leaving Cert. €50 seemed like a lot of money at the time...
    How much was that in the old money?

;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

peckerhead wrote: »
    How much was that in the old money?

;)

Probably about £40, but you'd have to account for inflation too! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    I guess if you were on the dole and lashed it out of it, with no materials, then €50 quid for getting out of the house for the day is not the worst!
    If you were trying to earn a living, one not subsidised by the taxpayer, then €50 is way below what you would need.
    As an ex decorator,I would say that to paint an average room it would take a day and a bit, depending on what you had to do.
    Two coats to the ceiling, fill and caulk skirtings, two coats to the walls and undercoat and gloss woodwork. Can't be done in one day, unless you take a shortcut or two!

Id say its just paint on the walls and none of the caulk or gloss work.

It certainly doesnt take more than a day to paint an average sized room (walls) having worked at it for a while myself.

For the price Id imaging you'd be supplying paint, brushes and rollers.

Now, Id happily paint an average sized room(2 coats) for 50 quid if the person was supplying all the bits needed. Once the cutting in is done neatly the rest doesn't take long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 If_Only

I used a polish guy I had before to do some more work for me as I simply didn't have the time he did the Hall/Stairs/Landing/Kitchen/Sunroom/Utility/4 bedrooms - walls filled and wood work gap caulked neat tidy job -€600.

He doesn't advertise and gets all work through word of mouth - happy to PM you his number if you want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I just used a decent Polish lad there this week to paint the outside of the house and did a fantastic job over 4 days power housed the whole house and gutters. Put concrete sealer on first then two coats of masonary paint, the trim, all woodwork and the gates for 600. While the power washer was on site he did the driveway and paths as a bonus. Would gladly recommend him to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,608 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I got a fellow in to paint a few rooms as I was to bust to do it myself. 50 euro a room, doesn't include skirting. Did a good job and would only use trade paint such as Johnstone. I 'be use him a few times with other properties I let out. Does a great job.
    He is actually a tiler by trade and ingot him to do a splash back. Irish guys quoting 500 he did it for 150 and I couldn't fault it, very tidy, very flat , very even etc. I supplied tiles he supplied grout etc at a cost if 40 quid, because that's what it cost him

He even pointed out all the short cuts the Irish tiler took on my floor such as only grouting corners in some places which means the tile will eventually crack as its hollow in the middle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement