Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postage for Returning Incorrect Items

Options
  • 08-07-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

I ordered a few things online from the UK last week. They arrived today but all the items are wrong. What they've sent is of similar but of lower value to what I purchased and is of no use to me so I'll have to send it back.
    Anyway, I've contacted them but they haven't got back to me yet. What I'm wondering is do I pay for return postage or should they cover it as it was their fault?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They should cover it.

Often if they're particularly low value they'll just write them off, this has happened to me with ebay sellers and actually Amazon before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭rock22

MYOB wrote: »
    They should cover it.

I had a similar problem, agreed with the vendor to send the items back and they would refund postage.
    When they got the item back they refused, although they did refund the purchase price.
    European Consumer Agency, http://www.eccireland.ie/, told me to make a claim in the small claims court. Smalls claim court wouldn't entertain the claim as I had been refunded the purchase price and there was nothing they would do about the postage costs.
    In the end, although the costs was over €50, I just dropped it after about 6 months going from one office to another.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As they sent the wrong items, they are liable to cover the cost of return. Contact them and ask how to proceed. They may write off the items and reissue. Alternatively, they could ask you to post back and then provide you with credit for the cost of the postage. Or they may arrange return altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Thanks all. I have a positive history with them so I don't think they'll try to screw me over or anything. Maybe I'll make sure they'll offer some credit for the postage in advance as it will be €10 to €15.
    Assuming I have to send them, back do you think I should send this registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Just treat them like unsolicited goods and tell the retailer the items are not what you ordered and are available for them to collect. You can advise them that you are willing to ship them at their cost and responsibility but state clearly that you will not accept any liability for any loss or damage.
    Let them advise how they want the items shipped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

You could cancel the credit card transaction, if used, or PayPal dipute if used, then let the vendor can arrange collection, or send you price of postage, before you return goods

dharn wrote: »
    You could cancel the credit card transaction, if used, or PayPal dipute if used, then let the vendor can arrange collection, or send you price of postage, before you return goods

Cheers, I hadn't thought of that. I used paypal but I don't want to open a dispute unless I have to. Looking through there facebook page, any sort of problems others have had, they've sorted very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

rock22 wrote: »
    I had a similar problem, agreed with the vendor to send the items back and they would refund postage.
    When they got the item back they refused, although they did refund the purchase price.
    European Consumer Agency, http://www.eccireland.ie/, told me to make a claim in the small claims court. Smalls claim court wouldn't entertain the claim as I had been refunded the purchase price and there was nothing they would do about the postage costs.
    In the end, although the costs was over €50, I just dropped it after about 6 months going from one office to another.

Good luck

How similar? Getting a refund doesn't sound like the same scenario as this, where presumably the OP wants his actual items re-sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭rock22

I think very similar otherwise I wouldn't post.
    I don't want to hijack the post but just for clarification -
    The item was of less quality and would not fit correctly. The vendor agreed that it would not fit, and as all the stock was the same they were not able to replace the item.
    My problem came in enforcing my rights. The European consumer agency agreed that I should get my money back for postage. The small claims court would not accept a claim. That left me going to higher court ( district/circuit / high court) to enforce judgement for about €50 on a foreign company. Even if I won the case I would then need to have English sherriff enforce judgement.
    The truth is that the EU have put these rights in place but they are almost impossible to enforce. In my case the ECA closed the file rather than take any action themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In your case, I would have gone to my credit card provider, with all the information above, and sought a chargeback. I'd only seek to do that as a last resort mind.

• Advertisement

Just to update, I've sent all back and they're sending my proper order plus some extras. They said they'll reimburse for postage so for now I'll have to take them at they're word. Thanks all!

Advertisement