Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC accom

Options
  • 08-07-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Not long till we know where we get our places, we all know its gunna be a long haul and funding etc is precarious! I figured let's at least put our hands up for where were going, or hope to go rather! My first choice is Ucc , so anyone in the same boat want to band together and we can try secure a house or something quick, make this whole venture a little bit cheaper!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 r.galway

Hey Billy, just got offered a place in UCC this morning so will probably be accepting. Did it all go ok for you? I was just wondering have you had any luck with accommodation yet or have you been looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Billydolan

Hey man, was offered limerick, on cork wait list...I'm in limbo for another week! Will look when I get my ucc offer

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kara27

Billydolan wrote: »
    Hey man, was offered limerick, on cork wait list...I'm in limbo for another week! Will look when I get my ucc offer

I'm in the same boat as you- what do you think our chances of getting UCC are?

Ah right, when does the next offer come out?

Round one offers aren't till the 19th so its going to be a long wait!

• Advertisement

Wow long wait is right, well regardless the hard part is over! Not sure what the odds of getting in are but most places seem to drop by about a point on subsequent offers so maybe this year will be something similiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Riibiik

Hi everyone! I just accepted my place at UCC and will also be looking for accommodation. I was initially going to look into halls but I am very puzzled by the fact that the lease in most places seems only to be until June 1st or 2nd..And when I looked at the term dates for GEM1 it looks like we have exams until the 27th..any thoughts?

I'm not sure, halls don't look like the best value either and I think a lot of the nicer places have been swooped up by international students. Does anyone actually know Cork city or the best places to live? I'm from Galway so I'm afraid I'm shooting in the dark...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Riibiik

No idea..I'm from France (half-American but fortunately have a EU passport!). I was looking at the UCC accom. page and they seem to reserve places for international students..They do look quite nice and conveniently located to be fair..a little pricey though, you're right and I don't know how I feel about having to move out before exams. I also found these 'postgrad houses', some of them look quite decent and good locations, for ex: http://www.uccaccommodation.ie/property/waterside-quay/
    I might contact a few landlords to see what the deal is in terms of tenancy period, bills etc..

Cool, I'm going to have a look on daft and such and see if there is anything nice going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 02ma

r.galway wrote: »
    I'm not sure, halls don't look like the best value either and I think a lot of the nicer places have been swooped up by international students. Does anyone actually know Cork city or the best places to live? I'm from Galway so I'm afraid I'm shooting in the dark...

Hi I just accepted my spot in UCC too. Did my undergrad there so know the place pretty well. The city is pretty small so you could easily cycle from most places but you're probably better off in town, bandon rd\barracks st area, glasheen, magazine rd, mardyke, or even somewhere like Wilton or Sundays Well. Wilton is very far from town tho. Prob more for the clinical years as CUH is there.

What is a reasonable rent if you are sharing a house? Have you got accommodation sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 02ma

r.galway wrote: »
    What is a reasonable rent if you are sharing a house? Have you got accommodation sorted?

You'd get a decent place for 300/330 a month. Most places around college rd are up towards 400. No way would I pay that though.
    Ya I think I might be sorted actually. Ill post back here if it falls through.

Rang them earlier, 18 people on wait list for ucc. They said its hard to know, depending on how people were offered in terms of their preference places may or may not reallocate...from what I can tell. Those 18 people , us included , have ucc as first choice. So if offers are not accepted or others are offered their own higher preferences. Applicants will be randomly selected from that pool of 18. Cao told me to accept my ul offer, and can still be offered higher preference.

Just to clarify, are the 18 people only the people who put UCC as their first choice?
    For instance if you didn't put UCC as your first choice but got 56 points, are you one of the 18 on the waiting list?

Think I jumped the gun, going on how the cao works , those on the wait list have cork as higher preference than what they where offered. Not necessarily first choice. As there may be people on the list who are holding out for an even higher preference. So over the next couple of weeks, points drop and there's a big shuffle, some people might get ucd, clearing space for ucc etc...I know there's at least one accepted offer in limerick that will be vacated when I get a cork offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 brenie

Hi All. Just wondering if those of you heading to UCC have managed to find accomodation. I just accepted an offer yesterday so I'm desperately trying to find something soon. I'd be interested in house sharing if anyone's got a room going! Thanks!

Hi Brenie, I'm not sure if there is much going but if I were you I'd just get a room somewhere as you have to get a place before all the first years. I'm staying in a pretty small room so I might move after a few months. Just get a room somewhere to start and after that I'd say you can see about moving on. Congrats on the offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 KingaC1401

Im very confused about accommodation as the on-campus one is very expensive and I've been looking on daft for house sharing.. but alot of owners dont allow first years to move in:/ anyone know anywhere pretty cheap near UCC?

Don't tell anyone you are a first year otherwise you are ruining your chances of getting accommodation. Most landlords tend to avoid first year undergraduates as they can be quite rowdy and troublesome. Tell the landlords that you are a postgraduate medical student and you won't have any problems. University accommodation is very expensive at least 100EUR a week. Try checking out private shared accommodation on daft.ie The houses won't be perfect but it will do for the first few months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 KingaC1401

I have looked on daft and went to a few viewings but the problem is the other tenants on the houses are much older than me eg professionals or final year students.. I would love to live with someone my age who also goes to UCC

hey guys, finally got my cork offer! anyone in the same boat as me and need to buddy up

Congrats Billy! We start on Friday just so you know! I'd say just get a room as soon as you can, they are being snapped up quickly!

What time on Friday does the course in UCC start at?

9:30 I think?

Advertisement