Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fighting dogs

• 08-07-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Hey,

can someone answer a question for me.... The likes of pitbulls, mastifs and other so called fighting dogs. Is it a legal requirement for them to be muzzled when they are out in public?...
    I'm seeing lots of them out for walks with their owners and even off the leash at times.... It's unnerving when i have my little defenceless pooch with me...!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Under the Control of Dogs (Restriction of Certain Dogs) Regulations, 1991

◦American Pit Bull Terrier
    ◦English Bull Terrier
    ◦Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    ◦Bull Mastiff
    ◦Doberman Pinscher
    ◦German Shepherd
    ◦Rhodesian Ridgeback
    ◦Rottweiler
    ◦Japanese Akita
    ◦Japanese Tosa

And to every other strain or cross of these breeds

Should be muzzled. And all dogs should be under control, regardless of the breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why do you call them fighting dogs??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Under the Control of Dogs (Restriction of Certain Dogs) Regulations, 1991

◦American Pit Bull Terrier
    ◦English Bull Terrier
    ◦Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    ◦Bull Mastiff
    ◦Doberman Pinscher
    ◦German Shepherd
    ◦Rhodesian Ridgeback
    ◦Rottweiler
    ◦Japanese Akita
    ◦Japanese Tosa

And to every other strain or cross of these breeds

Should be muzzled. And all dogs should be under control, regardless of the breed.

thanks for that.....

Just wondering do people generally report this to dog wardens?

andreac wrote: »
    Why do you call them fighting dogs??

of the list posted above i would consider some of them as fighting dogs....personally i think it would be a better island if they weren't around..

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

Some of those breeds should be banned outright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

jobless wrote: »
    of the list posted above i would consider some of them as fighting dogs....personally i think it would be a better island if they weren't around..

Why? They are not born fighting. It's ignorant sc*mbags who use them for fighting that give rise to this name. There are plenty of responsible owners of some of these dogs. I am sure they wouldnt be happy with you calling them this. From what I have seen, its the yappy little paris hilton handbag sh1ts that are more interested in fighting. (and I own one of these!)

You can report them if you want, but not for simply existing. Once the owner is following the law there is nothing you can do about them.

There are plenty more things I would choose to ship out of here before restricted breeds.

Enda Kenny comes to mind....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The UK implemented a ban on so-called "fighting dogs" and the net result was that the number of these dogs exploded and the number of injuries as a result of dangerous dogs also exploded. Turns out that banning something makes scumbags want to do it more. Who'da thunk it?

The number of injuries in Ireland due to do dogs of any breed is absolutely tiny. I think it would be a better island if people read up on facts and figures instead of regurgitating what they read in the Daily Mail, but sadly some things are unachievable.

There is no logical reason to ban any breed of dog any more than there's a logical reason to ban black people.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Why? They are not born fighting. It's ignorant sc*mbags who use them for fighting that give rise to this name. There are plenty of responsible owners of some of these dogs. I am sure they wouldnt be happy with you calling them this. From what I have seen, its the yappy little paris hilton handbag sh1ts that are more interested in fighting. (and I own one of these!)

You can report them if you want, but not for simply existing. Once the owner is following the law there is nothing you can do about them.

There are plenty more things I would choose to ship out of here before restricted breeds.

Enda Kenny comes to mind....

I'd have no problem them being here if people had them muzzled but i can't remember seeing one pitbull/mastif being muzzled around dublin.

I know they are not born to fight but i'd prefer if a young child who might set a dog off, for it to be a yappy little thing than a dog that can kill them....

maybe Enda can drive the boat with them out of here!

seamus wrote: »
    The UK implemented a ban on so-called "fighting dogs" and the net result was that the number of these dogs exploded and the number of injuries as a result of dangerous dogs also exploded. Turns out that banning something makes scumbags want to do it more. Who'da thunk it?

The number of injuries in Ireland due to do dogs of any breed is absolutely tiny. I think it would be a better island if people read up on facts and figures instead of regurgitating what they read in the Daily Mail, but sadly some things are unachievable.

There is no logical reason to ban any breed of dog any more than there's a logical reason to ban black people.

i said that was just my personal opinion...and i dont read the daily mail. i'd have no problem with them if they were controlled and muzzled but me and you both know that doesn't happen.
    And i'm sorry but a lot of the owners of pitbulls look like its an accessory to their 'hardness'....

If the UK really wanted to ban them they could have..... employ more dog wardens for a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I know they are not born to fight but i'd prefer if a young child who might set a dog off, for it to be a yappy little thing than a dog that can kill them....

And you don't think a yappy little thing could do severe damage to a young child? What about Labradors, Collies, Springers etc.?

Ban them all is it? :eek:

I'm not sure why you're singling out the restricted breeds here when your argument against them seems to encompass all dogs.

• Advertisement

Toulouse wrote: »
    And you don't think a yappy little thing could do severe damage to a young child? What about Labradors, Collies, Springers etc.?

Ban them all is it? :eek:

I'm not sure why you're singling out the restricted breeds here when your argument against them seems to encompass all dogs.

I've never heard of a labrador mauling a child to death but i've heard plenty of stories of pitbulls doing it....

I've also never heard of groups of scum bags around a ring with two labradors in the middle of it.....

Some breeds of dog are deadlier than others..... and again i said thats just my opinion and i'm entitled to it...... My main problem is the scummers who bring these dogs out into public without muzzles making others uncomfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I've never heard of a labrador mauling a child to death but i've heard plenty of stories of pitbulls doing it....

I've also never heard of groups of scum bags around a ring with two labradors in the middle of it.....

Some breeds of dog are deadlier than others..... and again i said thats just my opinion and i'm entitled to it...... My main problem is the scummers who bring these dogs out into public without muzzles making others uncomfortable

Oh I see, because its your opinion you can say whatever daft sh1te comes into your head. The dog breed isn't the issue, its the owner.

Oh I see, because its your opinion you can say whatever daft sh1te comes into your head. The dog breed isn't the issue, its the owner.

It's daft is it?.... why did the uk try to ban them then?.... and not labradors

It's daft is it?.... why did the uk try to ban them then?.... and not labradors

Because they are similarly uneducated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Title should be changed.
    Fighting dog can be any dog. All dogs have a bit of aggression in them. It's how they are brought up.
    Title should be changed to rb

Because they are similarly uneducated?

Yes that's it alright, now go bring your pitbull for a walk....

Title should be changed.
    Fighting dog can be any dog. All dogs have a bit of aggression in them. It's how they are brought up.
    Title should be changed to rb

Fair enough, they all have a bit of agression in them.... but why aren't all of them on that original list posted?

Yes that's it alright, now go bring your pitbull for a walk....

Don't have one, but if I did I would muzzle him and take him wherever I wanted to, as is my right.

You seem wildly uneducated about dogs. Why don't you take the googleizer for a spin for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Didn't a JRT cave in a childs skull last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Fair enough, they all have a bit of agression in them.... but why aren't all of them on that original list posted?

Because uneducated people that know nothing about dogs drew it up.

Here are some examples of the friendly family labrador mauling kids..you should email Enda asking him to add them to this well thought out list;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003849/Boy-3-left-horrific-facial-injuries-Labrador-savages-Poole-Harbour.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/labrador-shot-and-killed-after-attacking-toddler-maine

hthttp://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/dog-killed-2-month-old-baby-ripped-child-legs-father-slept-room-police-article-1.1065711

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2033892/Two-week-old-baby-mauled-death-family-dog.html

Any even some of JRTs

http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2013/04/10/jack-russell-killed-newborn-baby-in-cot/

Its official, all dogs should be banned forever. :rolleyes:

Time to educate yourself love, otherwise you may be made to look stupid by people you dont even know.

• Advertisement

Don't have one, but if I did I would muzzle him and take him wherever I wanted to, as is my right.

Did i say i had a problem with this?....

If you google Pitbull attacks and Labrador attacks i wonder which one produce more results?....

You still havent explained why they are on the muzzle list

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Because uneducated people that know nothing about dogs drew it up.

Here are some examples of the friendly family labrador mauling kids..you should email Enda asking him to add them to this well thought out list;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003849/Boy-3-left-horrific-facial-injuries-Labrador-savages-Poole-Harbour.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/labrador-shot-and-killed-after-attacking-toddler-maine

hthttp://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/dog-killed-2-month-old-baby-ripped-child-legs-father-slept-room-police-article-1.1065711

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2033892/Two-week-old-baby-mauled-death-family-dog.html

Any even some of JRTs

http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2013/04/10/jack-russell-killed-newborn-baby-in-cot/

Its official, all dogs should be banned forever. :rolleyes:

Time to educate yourself love, otherwise you may be made to look stupid by people you dont even know.

I could post many times more articles about pitbulls attacking kids.....

Anyway as i've stated over and over my problem is with people who dont follow the laws so untwist your knickers!...

Did i say i had a problem with this?....

If you google Pitbull attacks and Labrador attacks i wonder which one produce more results?....

You still havent explained why they are on the muzzle list
    If a survey of all owners were conducted how do you think the results would appear? Sh1tty owners who abuse their dogs are the reason certain breeds have a bad name. Its not the dogs themselves.

They are on the list due to miseducation, as i already stated.

Anyway as i've stated over and over my problem is with people who dont follow the laws so untwist your knickers!...

Reports on pitbull attacks are more likely to generate the type of responses the media seek and are more likely to be reported in the first place anyway.

I agree with you on the people who flout the law, but the law itself is badly thought out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

So how many kids should die by labrador bite before you think we should ban them? 100 more would be your limit maybe? Quantity matters in this regard right?

I muzzle my Jack Russell, even though I don't have to, because he is bitey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

but you said

My knickers are very much untwisted. Maybe you should open your mind and consider you are wrong? I have a feeling that is unlikely to happen.

Have you ever met and spent any time with a pitbull? Or a rottie?

keelanj69 wrote: »
    So how many kids should die by labrador bite before you think we should ban them? 100 more would be your limit maybe? Quantity matters in this regard right?

I muzzle my Jack Russell, even though I don't have to, because he is bitey.

well done you're responsible..... although i dont think you jack russell would do as much dammage to a toddler as a pitbull

well done you're responsible..... although i dont think you jack russell would do as much dammage to a toddler as a pitbull

This is illogical. If you are going purely on damage that can be done then why aren't St Bernards on the restricted breed list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I've never heard of....
    i've heard plenty of stories....
    Therein lies your problem!

It'd serve you better not to base your judgments on hear-say. I personally know a kennel owner who'll honestly tell you her worst attack was from a Lab. So strong were her feelings that, she gave me the name of the line so that I could ensure to avoid it when I was getting my Lab.

The simple fact of the matter is: it's the owner not the dog. Personally I'd ship every owner that picks up their dog before any of the "restricted breed" dogs.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    but you said

My knickers are very much untwisted. Maybe you should open your mind and consider you are wrong? I have a feeling that is unlikely to happen.

Have you ever met and spent any time with a pitbull? Or a rottie?

how are those two points contradictory?...... i dont have any problem with people keeping pitbulls as long as they are muzzled....
    I personally dont like those kind of dogs but thats just my opinion... (which has been jumped on)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Big Bottom wrote: »
    Some of those breeds should be banned outright.

Why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement