Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation Megathread 13/14

Options
  • 08-07-2013 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭

As of now, I'm calling time on accommodation threads, as they're beginning to dominate the forum, and it's really annoying. Whether that's "I need somewhere to live" "I have somewhere to live" or various questions about the on-campus residences, it is no longer permitted to open new threads for the purpose. In addition, I'm sick of seeing newly registered accounts posting in every thread they can find.

Going forward, please direct all accommodation related posts here. New threads on accommodation related issues will be either locked, merged, or deleted according to how I feel that day.

I haven't merged other threads in here because it would be a confusing mess, and I'm not going to go thread to thread and direct other people here, because I have better ways to spend my time. I am, however, now going to go and lock the first 2 pages of threads on accommodation, unless there seems to be some stunning reason not to lock one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mrpockets09

Looking for accommodation near UCD (within walking distance) for myself, male, 21, 3rd year student. If anyone has a spare room they're willing to rent, or if anybody else is looking to rent somewhere give me an e-mail 11488952@ucdconnect.ie or private mail me, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

Have a question regarding off campus accommodation...Myself and a group of lads are taking a house near ucd, the same house we took last year. 3 of us are on placement from next january so we will not require the house for semester 2 and therefore we would need to find replacements as we cannot get a shorter lease.
    Have any of ye been in a similar situation ...IS there much demand for houses for students for a single semester? What are the chances of findin replacements?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Graham_Keogh

Landlords will probably not take you for 3-4 months. Demand will also be slack from students looking for only second semester accommodation off campus. You could break the lease in December, lose your deposit, and seriously piss the landlord off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Thè only people you'll find looking for second semester only accommodation are international students, who tend to end up in on campus, or people who were on campus and go pissed off with it.

You can occasionally find shorter leases, the short term part of daft might be worth a look. They're uncommon and a bit more expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 OisinHayes

Hey,
    My name is Oisin Hayes, i'm 18, and i am looking for first year students that might be up for sharing a house next year near UCD. I was late to the mark for signing up for on-campus accommodation and was wondering if any other first are in the same boat as me and want to find a house. Males and Females accepted.
    PM or Reply to this if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Sean_ros

What is the cheapest residence on the UCD campus that would have all the mod cons and would have spaces for postgraduate students?
    Which accommodation is the most sought after?
    Plus what is the latest date you should apply to ensure you get a place? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Poojash1

Hello Friends,

I am looking for a accommodation near UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Sean_ros wrote: »
    What is the cheapest residence on the UCD campus that would have all the mod cons and would have spaces for postgraduate students?
    Which accommodation is the most sought after?
    Plus what is the latest date you should apply to ensure you get a place? Thanks!

Your a bit late mate unless your a first year

Mr.Fun wrote: »
    Your a bit late mate unless your a first year

Surely there are places left even though you may be placed on a waiting list?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

It depends where on the waitlist you are. If you are far down you wont have a choice where to go

• Advertisement

I was in the residence office last week asking about campus accommodation and I was told every room is booked up, so unless there is cancellations or alot of 1st years that will be commuting it's looking unlikely!

I was in the residence office last week asking about campus accommodation and I was told every room is booked up, so unless there is cancellations or alot of 1st years that will be commuting it's looking unlikely!

Do you know how long the waiting list is at the moment? And after what number on the list would you not be able to get a place do you know?

Well I'm number 182 and started off at 550 or that and seems to only be dropping by 3 places every week! I checked my email from last year and I thought I had a high enough number aswell on the waiting list but I was offered a place in blackrock in June so I don't think I'm going to be offered anything to be honest. If I was you I'd be looking into alternative off campus accommodation unless your coming into 1st year, then you'l prob get a place! I was 1200 on the waitlist and I got offered Glenomena, and my friend was number 3 and he only got offered belgrove! Luck of the draw!:cool:

Well I'm number 182 and started off at 550 or that and seems to only be dropping by 3 places every week! I checked my email from last year and I thought I had a high enough number aswell on the waiting list but I was offered a place in blackrock in June so I don't think I'm going to be offered anything to be honest. If I was you I'd be looking into alternative off campus accommodation unless your coming into 1st year, then you'l prob get a place! I was 1200 on the waitlist and I got offered Glenomena, and my friend was number 3 and he only got offered belgrove! Luck of the draw!:cool:

If your number 182 now, surely you will get a spot. How many places are there between all UCD residences?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭omicron

If your number 182 now, surely you will get a spot. How many places are there between all UCD residences?

It's 182 for continuing undergraduates. Thats 182 on a list waiting for cancellations, the spots are already filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Raphael wrote: »
    As of now, I'm calling time on accommodation threads, as they're beginning to dominate the forum, and it's really annoying. Whether that's "I need somewhere to live" "I have somewhere to live" or various questions about the on-campus residences, it is no longer permitted to open new threads for the purpose. In addition, I'm sick of seeing newly registered accounts posting in every thread they can find.

Going forward, please direct all accommodation related posts here. New threads on accommodation related issues will be either locked, merged, or deleted according to how I feel that day.

I haven't merged other threads in here because it would be a confusing mess, and I'm not going to go thread to thread and direct other people here, because I have better ways to spend my time. I am, however, now going to go and lock the first 2 pages of threads on accommodation, unless there seems to be some stunning reason not to lock one.

Would a sub forum not be a better option as one thread for many different accommodation requests can get more confusing. Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 misstyc

Hi, I'm going to be doing a masters in smurfit this coming term. was wondering if anyone has a room (pref ensuite) near campus? Either that or anyone interested in looking for accommodation together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Would a sub forum not be a better option as one thread for many different accommodation requests can get more confusing. Just a suggestion.

No, and here's why:

1. Creating a sub forum is an admin decision which takes a long time, and requiress serious justification.

2. There is already a 3rd level accomodation forum elsewhere on boards, for people who want it

3. A subforum that's dead most of the year is pointless and a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joannalambe

We are three female third year student nurses looking for three rooms in a house or a three bed apartment or house. We haven't had much luck so far. We want to rent from August 2013 - June/July 2014. We're also looking to pay ideally no more than 420 - 450 a month in the Clonskeagh/Mount Merrion/Booterstown area. If anyone knows of anything or has rooms to let please let me know!:)

Hey all, just rang the accommodation office and there are now 600 on the waiting list. Told her i'd be doing a postgrad and she said there wouldn't be any chance really I'd get offered a place on campus.

She mentioned the accommodation pad where students commonly find places off-campus - does anyone know anything about this? I see you need a UCD email address to log in to the website but i haven't got this yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 millser19

Hey all, just rang the accommodation office and there are now 600 on the waiting list. Told her i'd be doing a postgrad and she said there wouldn't be any chance really I'd get offered a place on campus.

She mentioned the accommodation pad where students commonly find places off-campus - does anyone know anything about this? I see you need a UCD email address to log in to the website but i haven't got this yet.
    Ya I joined this today. You do need a UCD email address - you create an account with it and you wait for it to be approved by UCD. About 20 mins later I could log in - fairly slim pickings was my first impression of it! You dont get much in the way of information on each ad (compared to Daft.ie for e.g.) and pictures are rare. That said if you're not too picky about what you're looking for there might be something for you

millser19 wrote: »
    Ya I joined this today. You do need a UCD email address - you create an account with it and you wait for it to be approved by UCD. About 20 mins later I could log in - fairly slim pickings was my first impression of it! You dont get much in the way of information on each ad (compared to Daft.ie for e.g.) and pictures are rare. That said if you're not too picky about what you're looking for there might be something for you

I haven't been a student of UCD before so do i need to ask for my email address?

So, is it all UCD students that live in any of the advertised accommodation?

Is the message board good for trying to find suitable housemates or have you used the message board yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 millser19

I haven't been a student of UCD before so do i need to ask for my email address?

So, is it all UCD students that live in any of the advertised accommodation?

Is the message board good for trying to find suitable housemates or have you used the message board yet?!
    That I couldn't honestly tell you. If you have received your student number, then your UCD connect email address should be 12345678@ucdconnect.ie but then this might not be set up until registration - someone can correct me on that

It seems to be just nearby accommodation that would be particularly handy for UCD students, but then I saw one or two houses that were advertised for Bray and Killiney so maybe its just another place for landlords to advertise rooms.

Message board on accommodationpad looks decent but I haven't used it, there does seem to be a good few notices up there all right. I have used the UCD notice board in ucdconnect last year RE accommodation which is essentially another version of the same thing. .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nimnom

Hi, if anyone wants a room in blackrock halls for the second semester pm me sometime. I got a room but I'm only in ucd for the first semester, sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 acse101

Hey I am looking for a house mate to share a very nice modern 2 bedroom house in Clonskeagh. It is just beside the AIB bank so right beside UCD. The room is a large room with double bed. Rent is 575 a month with 12 month lease starting the end of August. Sharing house with 4th year male. Let me know if interested! Thanks

I've been looking for shared accommodation for past month and haven't found anything suitable, i.e less than €450/month within walking distance to UCD, so if there's anyone that wants to join up to find a property message me!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 calron

misstyc wrote: »
    Hi, I'm going to be doing a masters in smurfit this coming term. was wondering if anyone has a room (pref ensuite) near campus? Either that or anyone interested in looking for accommodation together?

hi do you want to find somewhere? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 36 garlicmayo

HI, I have a double room for rent in Blackrock, 2 mins from Smurfit, €600 a month plus bills. I am a mature student myself (32). Easy-going, sporty and out a lot, looking for someone easy going. PM me for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hyper_on_water

nimnom wrote: »
    Hi, if anyone wants a room in blackrock halls for the second semester pm me sometime. I got a room but I'm only in ucd for the first semester, sound

Campus doesn't work like that, UCD will reallocate your room to someone on a wait list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

General question here

Where would be the best place to look for off-campus accommodation? I tried looking on Daft last year but if a half decent place popped up it'd be taken down a day later and there's way too many people looking for the same thing. In August it goes mental which doesn't really help.

Last year I was looking for a 2 bed place so there was plenty available, but this year I'm looking for 3 bed minimum.

Would there be a better chance of getting a place by ringing estate agents, or looking on the UCD notice board, or other property sites?

Advertisement