Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation Megathread 13/14

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Of the 3 places I've rented, 2 were from daft, 1 was from knowing the landlord was starting to look for tenants and making him an offer.

You just need to be prepared to see an ad, go to a viewing that day, and agree to take the place immediately if it's good. People doing that is why the turnover is so fast, but the turnover being so fast is why so many landlords and letting agents put places up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ChSH

Hi folks,

I'm graduate entry going in my second year of vet med. I have a two bedroom apartment in Blackrock and I am looking for someone who wants to move into the second bedroom in September, 350 euro plus bills. Here is the catch: I am looking for a mature student, non-smoker, grad entry, female...sounds like a laundry list, but this should equate to meaning you are actually here to study and not party all night:) those in the med programs get my point here...

feel free to PM me and I can send you a pfd with more details on the apartment.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sean_ros

I'm a 21 yr old male doing a postgrad course in UCD in september. Looking for a house/apt as near to UCD as possible.

Campus is all booked I believe so if anyone is interested in finding accommodation with me, send me a message sure :)

I'm going to try and have some viewings organised for the second week of August..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

Hi folks!

I'm a mature student who'll be starting a full time course at UCD in September (Computer Science). I'm putting a notice here as the competition on daft.ie is ramping up :)

I'm 30 years old, a non-smoker, I don't drink that much and I'm great with keeping the place clean. All I'm looking for is a place with reasonable rent and within walking distance to UCD. Send me a PM if you like, thanks a lot!

Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 36 garlicmayo

Hi folks,

I have a double room to rent in a 2 bed apartment on Carysfort Avenue. I'm a mature student, just 32, female and very active and easy going. Looking for someone chilled, with a life and easy to live with. If you want more info send me a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 anniene

OisinHayes wrote: »
    Hey,
    My name is Oisin Hayes, i'm 18, and i am looking for first year students that might be up for sharing a house next year near UCD. I was late to the mark for signing up for on-campus accommodation and was wondering if any other first are in the same boat as me and want to find a house. Males and Females accepted.
    PM or Reply to this if interested.

Hi Oisin. I find myself in the same position. I am signed up for on campus but told that there is little to no chance of getting a place. I would be interested in sharing a student house ideally with mostly first years and as close to UCD as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AdityaKumar

Hi all,

My name is Kratika Jain and I am an Indian girl.
    I have been offered a place in UCD and would arrive Ireland on 1st September (+/- 1 day).

I am looking for an accomodation for 2 weeks. If anyone has any idea, or willing to share, please contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 natashab

I'm actually just moving out of the student residences at UCD. I'm looking to sell all the items I bought to live here for another student to use. I have a long list of items (most of them from ikea), including plates, bowls, kitchen utensils, duvet, bed linens, towels, clothing storage compartments, etc... They're all in excellent condition. I'm looking to sell all the items to one person rather than break up the items so if anyone is interested in them please let me know and I can send you more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

Can anyone roughly tell me how many campus places for accommodation are allocated to first years? I was about number 1400 on the list when I applied back in May, are my chances slim or..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

702 Spaces. But you should be fine, according to them:
    As the ranking system is open to all CAO students it is our experience that even students with a ranking of over 3,000 on the list can get an offer of accommodation.
    http://www.ucd.ie/residences/how-to-book-a-room/first-year-students/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 cathal4344

Hey there,

I'm starting in UCD in September and am starting to look for housing. I'm 24 so I don't want someplace noisey. I'm not a dry arse but dont want to live with freshers basically. Can anyone recommend the best of way of going about finding a place with a nice balance or what area would be most suitable for what I'm looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭computer44

Look for Rathgar/ Rathmines and look on Daft.ie or Rent.ie plenty of choices there.

You will be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

If anyone knows of any rooms for rent in houses near campus pm me please !

For those looking for off-campus accommodation, have you found a place yet or have you viewed any houses/started looking?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Sean_ros wrote: »
    For those looking for off-campus accommodation, have you found a place yet or have you viewed any houses/started looking?

Most people I know are sorted by this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

I was lucky to catch a really good property just as it was entered into Daft - called up the guy and got a viewing almost straight away. Place was offered to me soon after, which was great! ^^ Goatstown woo

Vorophobe wrote: »
    I was lucky to catch a really good property just as it was entered into Daft - called up the guy and got a viewing almost straight away. Place was offered to me soon after, which was great! ^^ Goatstown woo

Dunno if you know, but say if there is a five bed place and if 3 people agree to live there for a year, is the landlord responsible for filling up the remaining two beds in the house?

Dunno if you know, but say if there is a five bed place and if 3 people agree to live there for a year, is the landlord responsible for filling up the remaining two beds in the house?

Pretty sure it's up to you to find the 5 unless the landlord is renting it out room by room

• Registered Users Posts: 3 michaelwalker

Hi... hopefully I'll be getting a place in UCD this day next week. I've applied for accommodation a while ago and now I'm just wondering if there are any particular places recommended for first years? Any tips or recommendations on accommodation in UCD in general would be appreciated too. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Merville and Belgrove.

Belgrove has ovens and floors like concrete apparently.
    A friend tell's me Glenomena was the place to be last year and the year before that it was apparently Merville.

The Glenomena apartments are a bit more expensive than Merville and Belgrove.

Me, I'm gonna try and get in order:

Belgrove
    Merville
    Glenomena

I love chicken and in order to eat chicken ya need an oven, so Belgrove automatically has 1st preference :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Belgrove is the worst of the accomodations, chicken is not a reason for going there

Anyone have any advice at how to go looking for a room to rent ? I've been trying daft, gum tree and the ucd message board but to avail ! I'm guessing that things will only get worse Monday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Breda_m

Does anyone have any idea which houses in Merville are renovated? And which apartment numbers are not on the ground floor? Thanks :)

Is anyone finding it hard to find accommodation off-campus? There doesn't seem to be many places available near to ucd and those that are have so much interest. I'm finding it hard to even get a viewing. Considering areas like ranelagh and stillorgan now..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Is anyone finding it hard to find accommodation off-campus? There doesn't seem to be many places available near to ucd and those that are have so much interest. I'm finding it hard to even get a viewing. Considering areas like ranelagh and stillorgan now..

Stillorgan is only a 5min bus journey/10min (at the very most) cycle to college. You could be in a much worse place.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaisyFay

Breda_m wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea which houses in Merville are renovated? And which apartment numbers are not on the ground floor? Thanks :)

Apartments 1/2 are on the ground floor, 3/4 on the first floor and 5/6 on the top floor. I thought all merville houses were renovated but don't take my word for it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Stillorgan is a great place to live. And tbh, you should have been looking for something in Ranelagh/Stillorgan in the first place. Anything very close to UCD is going to be very expensive and have a high demand.

Myself and a friend have been trying to find somewhere in Ranelagh/Rathmines area cos it's cheaper and we can't afford an expensive place. It's a pain in the hole though. There's so many people looking and even the fact we're both final years isn't helping.

Looking for accomodation makes me hate the southside... Such a wankering place to look for somewhere to live

Stillorgan is a great place to live. And tbh, you should have been looking for something in Ranelagh/Stillorgan in the first place. Anything very close to UCD is going to be very expensive and have a high demand.

Myself and a friend have been trying to find somewhere in Ranelagh/Rathmines area cos it's cheaper and we can't afford an expensive place. It's a pain in the hole though. There's so many people looking and even the fact we're both final years isn't helping.

Looking for accomodation makes me hate the southside... Such a wankering place to look for somewhere to live

I went into the accomm office in ucd aand they said this year for some reason people are finding it harder to find a place. I hope to get a 4 bed place and we're all masters students. Do you think it will be any harder so on monday when the cao offers come out? Unless i have a few viewings sorted, i see no point in travelling to Dublin, 2 hrs and a half. I suppose the way to do it is ring to view a place once you see it online

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

I went into the accomm office in ucd aand they said this year for some reason people are finding it harder to find a place. I hope to get a 4 bed place and we're all masters students. Do you think it will be any harder so on monday when the cao offers come out? Unless i have a few viewings sorted, i see no point in travelling to Dublin, 2 hrs and a half. I suppose the way to do it is ring to view a place once you see it online

I'm lucky in that my friend is working in Dublin for the summer (he's not keeping the place he's living in) so if we see something decent online then he can go to a viewing cos he's down the southside anyway. There does seem to be less places than normal compared to last year...

It shouldn't be much worse come Monday, more people will be looking (most will have campus accomodation) but the fact you're doing your masters gives you an advantage if it's between you and a first year looking for a place.

One thing I found is that there's more places available if there's only 2 or 3 looking. A group of 4 lads I know had to split up and find their own places cos they couldn't get anywhere as a group. And ya can't be picky at all. That's what happened us last year. That, and some very very very shítty luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 AdamH95

Anyone know how many houses there are in Merville?

Advertisement