Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming spots?

Options
  • 08-07-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

Given the nice weather, myself and a few friends are looking for a quiet and secluded spot for swimming/picnicking for the day.

Anyone know of some nice secluded beach or freshwater/lake spots?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Are you looking in the West or the east of the county? Or just all over?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

All over! Somewhere accessible by public transport or walking distance to/from preferably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I'll take it you live in Galway city and you've no car. It's no secret swimming spot but black rock diving boards are magic in the evening even with a crowd. I used to try and hang on till about 10pm, nice and late to swim with the kids, when most folk have gone. I have sadly noticed that in about the last three or four years, the amount of young people boozing there has sky rocketed alas, but if that's changed back to it being quiet at late sun set, I'd give that a spin.

Any of the beaches in the city are packed from Ballyloughane to Silver strand, but the lake is a lovely spot. Dangan (down the road to the sports ground and keep going till you get to the lake) is a well known spot, but not too busy. Kids used to swim at the train arches in woodquay years ago. They don't so much now, but they used to... My Dad did when he was a kid, and then my son!! (it might have stopped due to so many lousy summers that folk have forgotten). So many generations have swum there. Obviously don't go beyond the floating safety area near the weir.

Up the river (same side) off the dyke road some folk swim. Mostly locals. Just beyond the quincentennial bridge.

Other than that, bus services are not good in the county so I don't know if you want to get a bus to Loughrea or Conamarra:o

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

From first hand experience, can recommend the long point at Loughrea lake, was there yesterday evening and it was great. 2 lifeguards on duty, clean water, as shallow or deep as you would like it and plenty of space to lay out too. Walkable from bus stop in town centre too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Eogclouder wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Given the nice weather, myself and a few friends are looking for a quiet and secluded spot for swimming/picnicking for the day.

Anyone know of some nice secluded beach or freshwater/lake spots?

there's a lovely sandy spot at the west end of Lough Nafooey, north of Maam, grid ref if it helps.. 95325 259970 ...calling it a beach would be going too far but it's lovely there with the mountains on all sides and shallow water.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

jkforde wrote: »
    there's a lovely sandy spot at the west end of Lough Nafooey, north of Maam, grid ref if it helps.. 95325 259970 ...calling it a beach would be going too far but it's lovely there with the mountains on all sides and shallow water.
    Its a lovely spot alright but there is no public transport from galway that passes near to there.

Advertisement