Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eco 2 Run - 20, 10 and 5 Mile races - Sun 29th Sept 2013

Options
  • 08-07-2013 3:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭

We are having our 20, 10 and 5 mile "Eco 2 Run" races starting and finishing in Eastpoint Business Park again on Sunday 29th Sept 2013.

Last year's board's thread is HERE

Last year's Poll Resuts HERE

The course is totally flat and potentially quite fast if not very windy.
    Location is very accessible being beside the Port Tunnel's city side exit with great cycle lane, public transport links (Dart and Luas within walking distance) and parking right at start for those who need to drive.

We hope to build on the positive feedback we had last year and make this either a DCM prep event in case of 20 miler or a good PB potential event in the case of the 10 and 5 mile events.

We have kept our entry prices at a very accessible level again particularly for those that enter early on line.

Full event details at Eco 2 Run Website

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I went out to this last year and regrettably had to drop out at 10 miles. Good race, well organised - horribly boring course but if you're using this as a DCM training run there is nothing better. Might go out to race the 10 or 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ran this last year. Enjoy the run but its a boring doing the same course 4 times for 20 miles.

One thing I would like to see is mile markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Ran this last year. Enjoy the run but its a boring doing the same course 4 times for 20 miles.

One thing I would like to see is mile markers.

I did it aswell and to be honest boredom didn't enter into things at all. 4 x 5mile flat loops is kind of perfect for a Marathon prep race. I mean if you're doing it for the scenery then I'd do athlone instead which is a beautiful route. But Like I said, M-paced run, scenery shouldn't matter, its about nailing even splits in each of those 5 mile blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I ended up running the 10 miler last year. Had entered the 15 miler but the wind was very strong and I'd had enough after two laps.
    Perfectly flat course and as excuseless says if it's not a windy day then a very fast course.
    I've already signed up in a bid to smash by 10 miler pb!
    RQ - Mallow rematch??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Not the prettiest of courses for sure but it does what it says on the tin in terms of convenient location for many and as a great Marathon prep or 5 & 10 Mile PB potential route :)

We have mile markers in addition to km markings.

If it was good enough for 2012 National Marathon Champion Maria Mc Cambridge as her DCM prep race then it should be good enough for most IMHO ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Entry prices go up by a fiver after this Sat (31st) :eek:!

Best entry this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

Just signed up for this today- cheap enough for a 20 miler!

May just run 15m but hope to do 20 if i'm feeling good on the day!

belcarra wrote: »
    RQ - Mallow rematch??

I've been trying to convince myself not to do the 20 (as if I could run 20 miles in my current whale like state).
    I'm in for 10...are you in?

edit: read your post again and saw you'd signed up already. I'm not going to fall into that trap of leading you out so you can try pounce on me towards the finish again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I went out to this last year and regrettably had to drop out at 10 miles.

Ahem..... :D;)

I've been trying to convince myself not to do the 20 (as if I could run 20 miles in my current whale like state).
    I'm in for 10...are you in?

edit: read your post again and saw you'd signed up already. I'm not going to fall into that trap of leading you out so you can try pounce on me towards the finish again...

This is 2 weeks before Chicago so I'll be racing the 10 miler for a PB. Will firm up the target after Athlone but probably around 68mins or so.
    So, if ya could manage a nice 4:12/km pace around the place then I'd be grateful!:pac:

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Ahem..... :D;)

Whatever trevor. I'd had a bronchcoscopy 3 days earlier. :P

belcarra wrote: »
    This is 2 weeks before Chicago so I'll be racing the 10 miler for a PB. Will firm up the target after Athlone but probably around 68mins or so.
    So, if ya could manage a nice 4:12/km pace around the place then I'd be grateful!:pac:

Good luck.

See you 5 minutes later when I cross the finish line...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

signed up for the ten mile race, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Just signed up for the 10M. Should be a good sharpening race before DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mr_bump

Thinking of doing the 20 miler as prep for DCM. Will there be pacers running? and if so, at what paces?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

mr_bump wrote: »
    Thinking of doing the 20 miler as prep for DCM. Will there be pacers running? and if so, at what paces?

No pacers at this one but it's flat 5 mile loops which should hopefully make self pacing a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Going to run the 20 mile around the 7.10 pace if anyone wants to PM me. Using it as an LSR for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Cotton tshirts, whats that about €29, no gels or isotonic drinks either. Joke

SnailsPace wrote: »

I'd have put myself down for mens small if I'd known that they were cotton. :D Not sure why you expect the race to provide isotonic drink and gels tbh??

Might not make the race now myself. Cross country training session will take priority for me this weekend unless I do this as part of a long run. Will see how I'm fixed Sunday morning.

SnailsPace wrote: »

I think their emphasis is on having it well organised & keeping entry fees down, so they've decided not to offer tech tshirts this year.
    The cotton ones seem to be something that has been provided for free by eastpoint management.

I think the entry fee is really fair for a 20 mile race! And after doing it last year it was really smoothly run & well organised.

...also I have enough race tshirts filling up my wardrobe so I don't really mind about not getting another one! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Personally I have more than enough technical tees at this point. I got a cotton one from the Clonliffe 2M a couple of years ago, and I wear that all the time as regular clothing. So if the design is decent on this one, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Link to provisional results now on the website

I did the 10mile last year and came near the bottom then but signed up for the 20 mile a few months ago in prep for Dublin. Given my recent results I had seen today as a possibility of getting my first DNF due to the 4 hour cut off. I was even more worried after the late start and the instruction on the site that the roads had to reopen at 1. I spoke to one of the Marahals on a bicycle on the third lap and he just told me to power on and hope for the best. Thankfully I got through the 3rd lap in under 3 hours and was allowed to continue (although I was told I was last and may have to run on the paths on the way back). Big thanks to the marshals all around the track who waited for me and gave me some of the biggest cheers I had heard today. And to the timing guy who took my team even though the chip reader was packed away at the time.

The race itself is minimalist (no gels, sports drinks) etc but this is made up by simple and close parking, number pick up yesterday in Amphibian King, 2 water points in each lap (1 with bottles, 1 with cups), opportunity to leave your own drink/supplies at the drinks table at the start of each lap, chance for toilets at 3 points on the lap, plenty of chatty and encouraging marshals and port security. It is also great timing for dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

good race, well organised and nice bunch of runners & marshalls but the "scenery" isn't the best - still, was very happy with my time and would look at doing it again

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mr_bump

I really enjoyed this event (did the 20 mile). As other posters have said it was well organized with good marshaling, attracted a good running crowd and had nice refreshments afterwards. Not sure what the 15 minute delay was about at the start, but given the good weather conditions I don't think many were bothered. It's really a no frills event that has simply positioned itself well to serve as preparation for DCM, and did the job for me. Paced conservatively with a friend for 3 loops, and then picked up pace for the last 5 miles. I had previous reservations about the idea of an out and back course of 4 loops, but to be honest I thought it was great getting to see the race leaders at several points in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

cianc wrote: »
    I got a cotton one from the Clonliffe 2M a couple of years ago, and I wear that all the time as regular clothing.

Always thought that was the best race shirt out there. Pity they went with a white technical shirt version of it this year. Have two of the grey cotton ones from a few years back which I wear more than any other race shirt. They were befitting of the tradition and age of the race too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 runner44

Was the first time doing this race - did the 20 mile in preparation for the DCM. Really enjoyed it.Parked beside start.No long queues at loos.The marshalls were great and gave a lot of encouragement especially at times when I seemed to be running on my own! As for the t shirt - I have plenty of Dri fit so that didn't bother me.I brought my own gels and left a sports drink on the table just past the start line.Water station half way around each loop.Nice flat course-I have a thing about hills!! I liked having to do 4 loops and getting to see friends who were running and also the elites! My only gripe was that the finish line was taken down before I finished, denying me my sprint finish, even though I was well under the time! Even so I will certainly be doing this race again.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 purceninho

Did the ten mile race yesterday. Very enjoyable. All ran very smoothly. Easy parking beside start. Key drop (nice touch). Well marshalled. Flat fast course. Good day out.
    And a PB.

Thanks to all involved.

Did the 20 mile and found it was ideal preparation for the marathon. The encouragement from the marshals was great. Will definitely do it again.

In general I got the impression that things were pared back to basics even more than last year. There was less effort put into the post race refreshments this year & not all the miles we're marked out. These are just minor complaints though.

My main criticism is with the finish line being taken down over 10 mins before the 4hr cut off for finishers.
    I understand that the roads were meant to reopen at 1pm but there would have been few if any cars driving down that stretch of road in the business park on a Sunday afternoon.
    It would have been easy to show some flexibility in keeping that small stretch open for a few more minutes.

I think it was fairly bad that some runners had no finish line to run over after running for nearly 4 hrs! Especially since it was due to a race delay that they could do nothing about.
    I don't know whose call it was to take down the finish line at 1pm sharp - the race organizers may not have had any say in it - but whoever it was it was a very mean thing to do!

Either don't have a 10min delay at the start of the race or show some flexibility and keep the finish line up until the 4hr cut off.

I'm sure Excuseless (race organiser) will be along here shortly to explain as he's usually very good with the feedback.
    From my own perspective I got the €20 entry for the 10 mile and thought it was very good value. I ran it at MP pace and have no complaints about the event (apart from the lack of scenery but not very high up in my priority listing yesterday!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

I ran the 20 miles and it was a good preparation for DCM : I used it as a pacing exercise and achieved my goals.
    Thanks to the volunteers and marshals involved : their support was much appreciated :-)
    It was nice to cover the distance with other runners [ as I usually do my LSR alone ] and fantastic to see ' the big boys / girls ' make it look easy
    Yep, the scenery isn't the best , especially when you work in Eastpoint and see the place week in - week out , but I was happy to complete the race and may do a shorter distance next year .

Advertisement