Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Weather Foods

Options
  • 08-07-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

With the warm weather upon us appetites for hot foods have dropped Chez Kylith. Unfortunately being raised by an Irish Mammy has given me a full repertoire of stews and casseroles for warming you up on winter days, but very little for hot weather.

Tonight will probably be a medley of smoked fish with rice noodles, or some charcuterie with foccacia and oil and vinegar.

What do you like to make when the weather is too hot for slaving over a pot of spuds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The obvious, B-B-Q!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

We are all the same I reckon, lots of recipes for cold winter days and very few for summer. Probably because sunshine is such a rare occurrence :D
    Have to agree with Rasta about the bbq. Tonight we had chicken fillets marinated in hot sauce, olive oil, garlic, soy and honey. Butterflied, thrown on the bbq and served with baked potato and salad.
    Fish is great for this time of year and there are so many things to do with so many types of fish. Love cooking it outdoors so it doesn't stink up the kitchen.
    Paella goes down well in this house during the summer too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Spicy curry. ;)

I joke. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd say as a rule of thumb go easy on the carbs.

You don't really want a huge pile of spuds, bread or rice.
    Speaking of curries though, you don't need to make them all hot. A mild thai green curry would be quite refreshing, particularly with lots of extra veg.

Pineapple left in the freezer is a nice treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Cold cuts, cheese, pickles, tomatoes choppped and sprinked with salt, olive oil and oregano, hummus with batons of carrots, peppers, celery anything crunchy, chopped apples, grapes, strawberries with balsamic and black pepper, greek yoghurt with chopped pecans and honey, white wine, hoppy ale and cider.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Jap Chae! - korean noodles with vegetables.

iUJBQLp.jpg

It's quick, easy, and can be eaten hot, cold or anywhere in between.

http://rasamalaysia.com/japchae-chap-chae-recipe/2/

The only fiddly bit is getting the right noodles -they have to be either sweet potato vermicelli or mung bean vermicelli, the texture will be all wrong otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Salads are always great - chicken and avocado works really well and lately I threw in sweet red pepper which was a nice addition :)

I love cured meats too though, and bits of tapas if the mood takes me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Going home now to make a salad with some cold meat and avocado, all I can think of for the hot weather as I've missed the fresh fish shop for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I used to get this small (single serving) tub of feta cheese and olives in a herb and olive oil in Lidl. Tip it onto a plate with tomatoes and lettuce, served with crusty bread and a Lidl Perlenbacher.

Ideal hot weather food.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Had a barbeque last night of lamb chops marinaded in oil with fresh mint, courgettes (from the allotment) sliced lengthways and cooked on the barbeque and charred red peppers with a salad of fresh lettuce and rocket with a French vinaigrette. I also cooked some chicken breast fillets on the barby yesterday and we had them cold in a salad tonight with cherry tomatoes, a lettuce, rocket, scallion and onion salad with a side of raw grated beetroot and Greek yogurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Had some Salmon cooked in tinfoil with a splash of lemon juice and some salt and pepper cooked over the coals, kept it lovely and moist, had some left over potatoes from yesterday so sliced them up and heated them over the coals, side salad to boot. Nom !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Aldi is my friend this summer, I have been mostly eating this concoction I made up, all bought there:

Bag of salad (the one with the peppery lemon balsamic dressing)
    Some cherry tomatoes
    Feta cheese, cut in cubes
    Ramiro Peppers from the Super 6, diced
    A few black olives

Gorgeous stuff all together!

Edit; Also their spicy Couscous (found in the chilled cabinet near the salads), mixed with the aforementioned feta, peppers and tomatoes is extremely tasty too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Doner kebab with extra chilli sauce :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Whole chicken, cut out back bone and place flat / butterflied bone side down on indirect heat on you BBQ for about 45/60 mins. Baste with BBQ sauce towards end.

Let rest for 15 mins and serve with crusty bread, blue cheese, salad and cider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Whole chicken, cut out back bone and place flat / butterflied bone side down on indirect heat on you BBQ for about 45/60 mins. Baste with BBQ sauce towards end.

Let rest for 15 mins and serve with crusty bread, blue cheese, salad and cider.

I would put my face in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I would put my face in this.

here is one I did earlier right after I brushed with sauce.

c7qw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

Diced chicken marinated in Chinese 5 spice, garamasala and squirt of tomato purée. Cook on the barbie and serve with salad in a wrap, yum

BailMeOut wrote: »
    here is one I did earlier right after I brushed with sauce.

I roasted 5 chicken legs yesterday to have cold for lunch and dins for the next few days.

I love me some chicken. Skin on, of course. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Various charcuterie, salad, hummous and flatbreads last night.

Can't bring myself to turn the cooker on these days, but I might get the barbie out for that spatchcocked chicken.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Quite honestly, I think I'm taking in most of my calories from booze these days :D

A glass of wine is as good as a salad, right?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm making rice salad a lot, it goes well with whatever is cooked on the barbecue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Faith wrote: »
    Quite honestly, I think I'm taking in most of my calories from booze these days :D

A glass of wine is as good as a salad, right?

It's more like a fruit salad, I think. I tend to go for beer, which is just runny bread.

Tomorrow will be my first drinking sesh of the hot spell, off to a BBQ. :o

Couple of classy cans of cider to go with the food, followed by G&Ts to channel my inner Audrey from 'Coronation Street'. :)

So liquid apples, and liquid juniper berries pour moi. Faaaancy. :cool::P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Spicy curry. ;)

I joke. :P
    You needn't joke. Eating curries and other spicy foods are an excellent way to cool down. What d'you think sweating is 'for'? :D

Ice cream is, counter-intuitively, not so good for cooling down. All that sugar..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you want a really handy feed OP, brush some halloumi slices with chili oil, toast them and serve up in pitta bread. Pop in whatever salad veg you like, and top off with Ballymaloo relish. Surprisingly filling, tasty and about five minutes work! Nomnon...

Ballymalloumi sambos!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

I am living on Pasta Salads at the minute they are handy you can make them night before and they taste better next day.

Tonight I had smokey bacon with Penne, Mayo and Parmesan - yummy

Of course a few ice cold beers to wash it all down sure it's Friday don't know what my excuse was last night !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Call me strange, but I find a frying-pan cooked curry good for summer heat.

If all the rice bothers you, half it with some salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

endacl wrote: »
    If you want a really handy feed OP, brush some halloumi slices with chili oil, toast them and serve up in pitta bread. Pop in whatever salad veg you like, and top off with Ballymaloo relish. Surprisingly filling, tasty and about five minutes work! Nomnon...

Ballymalloumi sambos!

:D

You are my hero!

Advertisement