Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying Lawn Turf

• 08-07-2013 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to lay some lawn turf.
    I have an area that I have cleared of some debris, have rotovated the soil a bit etc...

I now need to put in about 10cm of top soil.

Can I use compost instead of top soil here???

I've been looking around and have found a large variation in prices for both top soil and compost. B&Q have a 125l bag of compost that costs €7 which seems to be by far the best value. It also suits me better to bring this in in bags rather than a tonne bag.

So, is compost ok to use instead of top soil or is there a particular reason for using top soil?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

doesn't really matter too much which you use (from my research 2 months ago when I was in a similar situation) B&Q do ripped bags of compost for 4 euro instead of 7 , it would be ideal if you were lucky enough to pick some of these up... they are normally in front of the piles of bags with €4 written on the front of them in marker... I've been lucky enough to get them like that whenever I needed compost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Topsoil when well firmed down by tramping and raked to level should then stay level whereas I suspect compost could subside a little over the first couple of years giving dips in the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭fatlog

@mister gullible: yeah I read that somewhere but also read that it can depend on the makeup of the compost itself. If the subsidence was uniform across the entire area that would be fine but I suspect I wouldn't get so lucky

@jameshayes: Have you experienced any subsidence with the area you worked on?

Thanks for all the feedback btw

fatlog wrote: »
    @mister gullible: yeah I read that somewhere but also read that it can depend on the makeup of the compost itself. If the subsidence was uniform across the entire area that would be fine but I suspect I wouldn't get so lucky

@jameshayes: Have you experienced any subsidence with the area you worked on?

Thanks for all the feedback btw

well I went with top soil, I just used the compost for the borders.. Top soil worked out cheaper. But what I did notice was even though I had my ground prepped perfectly level all the way across the turf itself is not cut at a level thickness so if I was doing it again, i'd aim for about 90% level or so then stomp the lumps level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭fatlog

@jameshayes - where did you get the top soil from?

fatlog wrote: »
    @jameshayes - where did you get the top soil from?

local builder providers, took a few days to arrive as they don't stock it... (KCR builders)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭p_o_s_t_y

I'd go with topsoil,compost will compact a lot more than topsoil,rake it level,apply a summer fertiliser to the topsoil to give the turf a kick start,start in a straight line,work from one end to the next,stagger the joints of the turf like a brick wall effect,use a long flat board across the turf when u r laying the turf from 1 end to the next to distribute your weight so u don't leave boot marks,water the turf later in the evening when it's cool as if u do it in high temperatures u may scorch the grass due to evaporation,have a bag or two of compost mixed with seed and fill any joints u have not butted together or joints may open due to the heat,water daily and do your best to not walk on it for a wk or two to allow the roots to get a good footing

Advertisement