If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In wall centre speakers

Options
  • 08-07-2013 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi again guys. 

As I said in a previous thread I'm refurbishing a house at the moment. Wondering about recessing centre speakers into the wall. Walls are about to be lined with 90mm insulation boards. Is there something available that would fit into that thickness and won't break the bank? I've two rooms to do. 
    Vinnie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Vinnie.

Is that the mounting depth from the insulation to the outside of the plaster board (ie to the oustide edge into the room) ?

Are you looking these for stereo use rather than home cinema ?

Sorry for the questions but it will help narrow down the search.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinniemac

Hi Dave

Yes. It's 90mm including the plasterboard. The centre speakers are only required for home cinema. I use pure direct stereo for music.

Any luck with this Dave? They've started slabbing the walls. Electrician needs to wire before the wall is covered. 

Vinnie

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

vinniemac wrote: »
    Any luck with this Dave? They've started slabbing the walls. Electrician needs to wire before the wall is covered. 

Vinnie

If it was me an you didn't want to spend a fortune I'd use the Monitor Audio CWT140SQ - this is a really excellent quality in wall or in cling speaker with a trimless grille - You can select either a square or circular grille - however traditionally you would normally select the square option for in-wall applications.

I installed 4 of these yesterday and to be honest - they just sounded fantastic and they are inexpensive at £99.95 each ( and I'll do a Boardie special free shipping at that price).

Have a look at the manufacturers weblink here: http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/ci-series/cwt/cwt-140/

cwt-5.jpg

( The 140 is the smaller of the trio shown above - and they come in single units)

The CWT140 uses a 4" Bass driver with a pivoting 25mm Gold dome tweeter - its 98.6 mm deep (so maybe slightly too deep for you? (this includes the grille)) but is really compact with a cut-out diameter of just 149 mm - the pivoting tweeter makes it ideal for slightly off centre seating positions.

If you wanted a dedicated centre then the CWT150 is probably the way to go - at £179.95 its more expensive and unfortunately it's slightly deeper than the 140 at just a touch over 100mm - have a look at the spec here: http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/ci-series/cwt/wt150-lcr/#/specification

wt150-lcr.large.jpg

Apologies for the late response and keep us posted if these may suit - we always keep the 140's in stock and we can order in the 150 for you no problem,

Thanks again and give us a shout either via PM or at sales@richersounds.ie if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks John. 

They'd be perfect if they were 10mm thinner :-( I saw a review of some Yamaha ones on a US site that would fit. http://in-wall-speakers-review.toptenreviews.com/yamaha-ns-iw470-details.html
    Would that model or similar be available on this side of the pond?

Failing that is there a slimline bookshelf option that would sit on the mantle? Something up to 150mm deep

Vinnie

• Advertisement

Another question guys. I'm concerned that the insulation around the speaker means that there's no cavity for the sound to resonate in and could make them sound flat. Would it be practical to ceiling mount the 140s? The ceiling is 9 feet high

Thanks John. 

They'd be perfect if they were 10mm thinner :-( I saw a review of some Yamaha ones on a US site that would fit. http://in-wall-speakers-review.toptenreviews.com/yamaha-ns-iw470-details.html
    Would that model or similar be available on this side of the pond?

Failing that is there a slimline bookshelf option that would sit on the mantle? Something up to 150mm deep

Vinnie
    Vinnie,

that Yamaha isn't one that we stock on this side of the pond - but if you like I'll volunteer to set up RS Miami Beach if the would help? : )

If you want a slimline centre then I'd suggest the Radius 225HD - this is just 105mm deep but is a dedicated centre - have a look here: http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius-hd/r225hd/#/overview - we can do this on a Boardie deal at just £189.95 with free delivery or alternatively the even better Radius 250HD http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius-hd/r250hd/ at £219.95 - again with free delivery.

There is also the Shadow series which is wall mounted ( not-in wall) http://www.richersounds.com/product/centre-speakers/monitor-audio/shadow-centre/moni-audi-shad-ctr but is rather more expensive at £449.95 (eek..)

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks John,

I'll check with the builder in the morning to see if he can hack out a bit of the old wall for the MA 140s. Budget is taking a bit of a hammering, so anything else would be too much of a stretch. 

Vinnie

Thanks John,

I'll check with the builder in the morning to see if he can hack out a bit of the old wall for the MA 140s. Budget is taking a bit of a hammering, so anything else would be too much of a stretch. 

Vinnie
    Vinnie,

no problem and I'm sure he will be able to make the cavity slightly larger - there re very few gaps where a 140 wont fit so they are pretty standard to be honest - of course keep us posted if we can assist - I'm not sure if this would be of interest to you but I have found a dusty open box pair of Boston DSi250 in wall-speakers which are new but open box and one is missing the grille (and the surround of that one was sprayed black for a custom job) - they were £99.95 - I'll happily clear this pair at £29.95 which would keep the budget well under control! have a look here:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hrLJnXnKDTx/p_065DSI250/Boston-Acoustics-DSi250.html

I also have one brand new boxed pair of the DSi250's at £49.95

the Boston's are only 70mm deep

I also have a single Artsound DC101 again brand new boxed and sealed which again has a 65mm mounting depth - I'll clear it at £19.95
    http://artsound.be/en/products/loudspeakers/p/detail/dc101

Food for thought perhaps..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

Hi John
    He's made the cavity bigger so I can go with the 140s. Have you my card details on file?

Vinnie

• Advertisement

Hi John
    He's made the cavity bigger so I can go with the 140s. Have you my card details on file?

Vinnie
    Vinnie,

good builder!!!

I have the square CWT140's available from stock - but I only have the home number for you on file (we don't keep credit cards on file - as soon as they are charged we crunch them!) if you would like to drop me a PM or a mail to sales@richersounds.ie I'll get one of the guys to get your delivery sorted sharpish!

Thanks again for the biz - it's much appreciated,

ATVB,

John Mc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.