Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations/ideas for evening walks in/around Cork

Options
  • 08-07-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for some recommendations on where i could go for a nice walk on a beautiful sunny evening like this around Cork...it doesn't have to be in/around the City but maybe a 10/15mile radius outside...i don't really know Cork area too well but some people have mentioned Farran Woods and Currabiny Woods...any other ideas...

Much obliged for any replies :D

(the longer the walk the better ;))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

From The Marina to Passage West via the old railway line is a very popular one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

There's also a seaside walkway from Blackrock castle that goes behind the tunnel and Mahon point/Jacobs island and then links up with the old Passage railway line walkway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The regional park in ballincollig is really nice. If you keep to the left all the way down and thru the rugby pitch you end up walking thru fields with the river next to you and away from the crowds. Very peacefull and one of my favourite walks in the county.
    Farran woods is nice but i think theres a fiver charge for parking which is a bit much just for a walk. The regional park is just as nice and free, but will be busier.
    Another nice stroll is killmurray woods, just by lissarda. Theres a little stream around most of the path and the smells off the fresh cut trees around it is lovely. It might seem a little far away but time wise is probably the same distance as farran as its main road all the way bar the last mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Henry94 wrote: »
    From The Marina to Passage West via the old railway line is a very popular one

Another walking/cycle path stretch of the former rail line goes from Carrigaline to Crosshaven.

Marina - Rochestown tends to get crowded in better weather, plus might want to avoid same when it's getting dark.
    Teens and possible undesirables tend to go gowling around the place then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

louloumc89 wrote: »
    There's a lovely walk from the city center to ballincollig. It's by the water most of the way and the rest is lovely and shaded with a quiet enough road. If you're walking a dog in the city there are lots of good places, try to work Maccurtain street into your route, there are a couple of businesses around town that leave doggie bowls outside filled up with water for your pet to take a break. Good idea in this sun! One that leaves out a doggie bowl for sure is the new bubble tea cafe (where the berries used to be). There are lots of hills and stuff around, you could head up patricks hill if you want to get some cardio!

I do the walk along the North Mall, along the 'new' walk and across the bridge onto the Mardyke & Fitzgerald's Park; but I only continued on recently, it's a lovely walk beyond that point.

I got to the end of that park/field and turned back - how far is it to the next bridge over to the other side of the river? I hate having to turn around and come back the same way, would prefer to return along the other side of the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

who_me wrote: »
    how far is it to the next bridge over to the other side of the river? I hate having to turn around and come back the same way, would prefer to return along the other side of the river.

The next bridge over the river is out at the end of the Straight Road by the Angler's Rest and back in the Lee Rd.
    Another alternative is to cross the road at the traffic lights by the Lee fields car park and follow the walk up behind the football pitches to the back of the Tennis Village and back in Model Farm Rd. Very nice walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Thanks guys for all the tips! Great ideas!

Just one other question.....any nice coastal walks/beaches not too far from the City?

Once again, appreciate any replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    Thanks guys for all the tips! Great ideas!

Just one other question.....any nice coastal walks/beaches not too far from the City?

Once again, appreciate any replies!

There's a fantastic cliff walk in Ballycotton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Wyldwood wrote: »
    The next bridge over the river is out at the end of the Straight Road by the Angler's Rest and back in the Lee Rd.
    Another alternative is to cross the road at the traffic lights by the Lee fields car park and follow the walk up behind the football pitches to the back of the Tennis Village and back in Model Farm Rd. Very nice walk.

Thanks!

There's a lovely walk on either side of the river (along by the Straight Road, and on the Sunday's Well side), but I've never done the full loop yet, will give the Angler's Rest route a go.

Advertisement