Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raw 08/07/13 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Maddox should get more mic time, he's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

J. Marston wrote: »
    Maddox should get more mic time, he's brilliant.

I agree, he's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

alright they've made a show of vickie enough can we just end this now ?

YAAAAAAAA!!! It's Maddox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Woohoo, more Maddox!

Edit: Hopefully more of this from him in the future...

http://www.wwe.com/videos/brad-maddox-checks-in-on-matt-striker-and-the-wwe-active-set-wwe-app-exclusive-26094392

micheal mcGillicudddy tron visuals for christian, thats feckin hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I guess that was kinda...ok

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Crowd didn't take to it at all. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Crowd didn't take to it at all. :/
    WWE just seems to have lost the knack for big arrivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

getting sick of these smarks everywhere.

debuting one of the best characters in a long time, what do they chant, "Husky Harris"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

debuting one of the best characters in a long time, what do they chant, "Husky Harris"

Yeah it almost ruined it to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The night after Wrestlemania is to blame. Had people not gone so OTT for the retarded actions of the crowd that night, other crowds wouldnt be trying to do the same.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The night after Wrestlemania is to blame. Had people not gone so OTT for the retarded actions of the crowd that night, other crowds wouldnt be trying to do the same.

I dunno, they did the same thing when Tensai came back too. Plenty of "Sexual Chocolate" chants for Mark Henry too. And the "Goldberg" thing with Ryback.

It was annoyingly noticeable with Curtis Axel and Bray Wyatt though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I dunno, they did the same thing when Tensai came back too. Plenty of "Sexual Chocolate" chants for Mark Henry too. And the "Goldberg" thing with Ryback.

It was annoyingly noticeable with Curtis Axel and Bray Wyatt though.

Repackages don't seem to work as well with the likes of Google these days though

well im satisfied with having stayed up for that.Was a decent Raw they are getting a lot better, though 3 hours is like an endurance test. Getting bright out now,time to hit the hay.zzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

round of applause for the people that chanted husky harris. so cool. so edgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

CSF wrote: »
    WWE just seems to have lost the knack for big arrivals.

Big arrival???

It's a big arrival for mark's who been **** over it the past few months. They ain't Lesnar, The Rock or Austin. The crowd last night didn't seem that assed. I loved the "Husky Harris" chants I knew the IWC would go crazy. I don't get the hype to be honest, Good character but Husky ain't the greatest in the ring.

Anyway the best thing about the show was D. Bryan. Great match with Sheamus then beating the crap outta Punk and Orton was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

The Wyatts Family promo was unreal. Bray Wyatt on the mic is sick. I was happy with their debut. Best they could do to beat down someone the fans love and it won't hurt him or squash him. Huskey chants wrecked my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'd argue that all the Wyatt family are decent talents when it comes to in ring skill.

Rowan's a bit lumbering but he's so massive he gets away with it. Lee and Husky could definitely be labelled big men that can go for miles. Never a bad thing.

Have to add that I'm chuffed they seem to have been placed with Kane. Could make a great feud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

while smarky crowds who ruin debuts can go get fúcked, it might teach WWE to think a bit more before throwing people on TV before they're ready, and/or really have a gimmick.

as much as they think the audience doesn't have a memory, it does.

• Advertisement

Should change Kane's name to 'Jobber', at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Who says it was just smarks?
    P_1 wrote: »
    Repackages don't seem to work as well with the likes of Google these days though

And video game appearances and god awful names that stay with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Thank god for Curtis Axels sake that Michael McGillicutty contains just too many syllables for the fans to get their head around.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Thank god for Curtis Axels sake that Michael McGillicutty contains just too many syllables for the fans to get their head around.

Nothing to do with Raw but yesterday Ivelisse Velez of WWE Tough Enough and NXT did a podcast that I listened to. She wanted to be called Catalina DeLeon in NXT but WWE turned it down as WWE thought fans wouldn't get it as it had "too many syllables." They gave her the more sensible Sofia Cortez instead. :)

Who decided it was a good idea to put the Bella's on commentary? They made Cole and Lawler look good by mumbling to each other and telling "jokes". I assume it was to promote the tv show but that wasn't even mentioned until the very last second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I'm find this "Kaitlyn is Fat" stuff a little much, I'm not one to complain on the grounds of "bad taste" as I can just change the channel, but it's a little irresponsible when you know there's young girls in your audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

SlickRic wrote: »
    while smarky crowds who ruin debuts can go get fúcked, it might teach WWE to think a bit more before throwing people on TV before they're ready, and/or really have a gimmick.

I think the Wyatt family were ready 3 months ago, they've been awesome with that gimmick on NXT for ages fair play to Bray he went through a massive change got down a nice bit of weight too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I think he meant the original Husky Harris character, not the current Wyatt family gimmick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

smokedeels wrote: »
    I'm find this "Kaitlyn is Fat" stuff a little much, I'm not one to complain on the grounds of "bad taste" as I can just change the channel, but it's a little irresponsible when you know there's young girls in your audience.

Ignoring the regularity of the Diva-is-ugly storyline, I think it depends on context. In theory, AJ should eventually get her comeuppance but WWE aren't very good at telling you why someone is in the wrong eye em oh. Usually through inaction of the commetary.

Though if JR was still commentating on Raw he'd probably be talking about Colter's amazing foreign policy.

Kids shouldn't get bad TV either but a fictional fued is better than the general LOOK AT THE PRETTY LADIES. LOOK AT THEM. ARE YOU A HOMOSEXUAL? LOOK AT THEM NOW AND ENJOY THEM. DON'T HIT THEM BUT LOOK, LOOK NOW (be a star) attitude of WWE anyway.

I think the Wyatt family were ready 3 months ago, they've been awesome with that gimmick on NXT for ages fair play to Bray he went through a massive change got down a nice bit of weight too

sorry for the confusion.

i meant that WWE shouldn't have maybe thrown Husky Harris on TV ages ago when they weren't that serious about that gimmick. WWE are trusting that the crowd don't remember when he comes out as Bray Wyatt.

the Wyatt Family gimmick looks brilliant.

• Advertisement

who in their right mind thinks Kaitlyn is fat?

good fúcking grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Yes, this woman is "fat".

8447854304_82145fc0e5_z.jpg

WWE has sparkling logic!

Please don't do this. It has been done a million times before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

SlickRic wrote: »

I think they have already started doing that though, new guys (and repackaged ones) have a clearer direction now with HHH taking more control than they did during Johnny's reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Great promo, awesome entrance, cool spots, a really cool gimmick and a strong wrestler whose waited his turn.

All placed in peril by WWE's lack of long term planning and getting kicks from placing a ridiculous gimmick on a young wrestler. Yes maybe the fans should take some blame but the bulk lies on the shoulders of the WWE. It completely derailed Tensai, it certainly took its toll on Ryback and still hurts Mark Henry (to a lesser extent). Those Husky Harris chants might prove to be the death knell for this new character and that would be a great shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

rovert wrote: »
    Please don't do this. It has been done a million times before.

That's the problem! #satire

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The whole Kaitlyn angle is basically the same as the Lay Cool/Mickie James angle a few years ago

So it takes Vince, HHH and Stephanie to fire you but just Vince to hire you.
    I wonder if he held out would HHH had offered Maddox the leading role in the next WWE movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Decent Raw,loved Bryan/Sheamus and Orton/Punk was alright too.McMahon segements were passable.It'll be another bullet in Ryback's career if he starts knocking about with Vickie though.

Thought Ziggler came across as a massive unlikeable tosser in everything he was involved with.His promo and backstage interactions including his ''whatevs'' response to AJ were cringeworthy,I see no reason to like him as a face.

Axel looked good in his match with Jericho.Heyman should keep wearing the shades.

Wyatt debut felt a bit flat because after all of the hype it was just another mid card heel stable (albeit a stable with a cool entrance) attacking a mid card face who has been involved in some awful angles over the years and who has middling boring matches for the most part.Them attacking Kane instantly takes all the seriousness out of the Wyatt's for me.

And it will get worse when they eventually start having matches and the crowd realises that they aren't as good as the other heel stable (Shield) in the ring too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was thinking the reason for attacking Kane like that was to have him taken out of the MitB match for whatever reason.

Layla must love the Kaitlyn/AJ rivalry since she gets to constantly restrain her. :)

And Vickie can't be gone. No other heel gets the reaction she gets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

I think pairing Ryback with Vickie is a great idea.

He needs a mouthpiece. He has no heat, Vickie has the most in the company. They need to do something with him to try and rebuild him.

Once again too many face v face matches. Kills the crowd.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Layla must love the Kaitlyn/AJ rivalry since she gets to constantly restrain her. :)

Funny that she is the other side of this highschool drama storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Really solid RAW last night, plenty of positives. My thoughts :

• Daniel Bryan def Sheamus : Great match, hot crowd, loved the (Irish) cloverleaf reversal into a small package. Now point towards the Mania sign, I mean MITB briefcase!
    • The unsung heroes of WWE are the video editors - very well-made video packages of Mark Henry & the biggest spots from RVD's career, hyping his MITB return.
    • Rollins & Reigns def Tons of Funk in a surprisingly fast-paced, entertaining bout. Depressing to see SHIELD in the pre-show of a PPV. Guaranteed if they didn't have the tag titles, they wouldn't be in this position.
    • Henry & Cena did a fine job selling their WWE title match. It's so refreshing to see someone whose only goal is to be champion. Henry should add Bane's back-breaker to his arsenal. Have him break Cena's back to win the WWE title & sell it huge.
    • Funny segment with the Heel MITB contestants - Zeb asked Barrett if he was speaking English, and they denied Fandango doing his schtick. Don't turn Cody though, he's better as a heel.
    • A major problem with so much TV time to fill, is not having decisive finishes - a lot of "distraction + quick win" going around. (Jericho defeated Curtis Axel to do so, a short time after showing a clip of Alicia fox rolling up Kaitlyn)
    • You could hear a pin drop during Del Rio & Sin Cara. It's nothing new but Del Rio's character/charisma/drama story-telling is far too low for his constant push.
    • Hearing talentless daughter Steph give out to Vickie for taking credit for other's work, and HHH (the worst kayfabe COO/authority figure in history), accusing Vickie at being terrible at her job was amusing.
    • Ryback hugged & consoled Vickie on her way out. His character will need some serious rehabbing but WWE are not done burying this guy.
    • Surprised to see Brad Maddox get Vickie's job. Maybe Guerrero will be his assistant, much like Teddy Long to GM Laurinaitis
    • Wyatt's debut, in the dark with Bray's lantern was awesomely creepy. Smark fans letting everyone know how smart they are chanting "Husky Harris!" almost ruined the segment. You know what's actually smart? Enjoying wrestling. Asshats.

Overall definitely a RAW worth watching. It felt like it needed to be 3 hours, between Vickie's job evaluation, MITB Go-Home and Wyatt Family debut. Good stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But who was chanting Husky Harris? I mean there are fans like us who are well aware of news and former gimmicks and all, which I believe is what would be called a smark, yet we appreciate the repackage and have enjoyed the Wyatt Family in NXT. So clearly they were just assholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

I really hated the fans chanting Husky Harris last night,the thing that really annoyed me was they were clearly "smart" fans because and i don't care what anybody says no casual fan would remember Husky Harris,yes it was a awful name and way too early for him to be brought up therefore you would have to have known about or seen the Wyatt family in nxt.

How the fans in the arena didn't know that chanting Husky Harris could ruin that segment i don't know cause if you had seen or heard about the Wyatt family you really didn't shouldn't give a **** that Bray used to Husky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bray Wyatt is Husky Harris :eek: well holy god I never knew :P

I miss Riccardo and so does Del Rio, he badly needs his ring announcer

The Kaitlyn and AJ feud isn't very entertaining like Trish and Lita's feuds were

As D Bryan came out top of the ladder with the briefcase is this a sign he isn't winning at the ppv

I don't get kaitlyn, does she have a personality, a persona that I am somehow missing?

AJ is crazy and uses that craziness brillinatly. Beth Phoenix was a straight faced ass kicker for example. I think those two feuding would be perfect if Beth was still around.

Kaitlyn just seems to be a strong lady dressed like she should be in the shield and simply reacts to what AJ does but with no identifiable character.

guys like Kofi have the same problem, he is just agile dreadlocked guy with no actual personality. Why should we care or be interested in him over another strong agile guy. It stops any feuds they are in getting any real momentum.

not sure I am explaining that very well. I used to feel like I knew who Stone Cold was, who Cena is, who Punk is, who Mark Henry is, who Laycool were, Trish was - so it made me interested in seeing them win/lose gave a reason to care.

That can be applied to a lot more than Kaitlyn. Probably 80% of the roster outside the main eventers.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    That can be applied to a lot more than Kaitlyn. Probably 80% of the roster outside the main eventers.

I agree.

I mentioned Kaitlyn as Liz referenced AJ v Kaitlyn and Trish v Lita. I think the feud would be more interesting if WWE bothered giving people a reason to be interested in Kaitlyn. That can certainly be applied to a lot of people.

Dolph Ziggler has not been doing well as a face. All those fans who have been cheering him the last few months have gone very quiet all of a sudden.

• Advertisement
Advertisement