Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Campsite Dumore East

Options
  • 08-07-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Has anybody been there yet ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Are you referring to the unofficial - wild spot - at the cliffs in Dunmore? This has become very very popular this summer. Several campers each weekend up to this and I'd say everyday now with a summer actually here. Not aware of official site.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

wow! never knew. While from Waterford I'd use this as Dunmore is a lovely spot.
    They need some signage.

Martin_D wrote: »
    wow! never knew. While from Waterford I'd use this as Dunmore is a lovely spot.
    They need some signage.

They have some good photos on their Facebook page of the pitches etc whereas the website has mostly photos of Dunmore East itself.
    It seems to be priced competitively and seems to be a welcome addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Looks nice but €34 per night for 2+2 (and more € again for a shower) and no variation for low season aint that competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

Hi,
    Stayed here about three weeks ago have to agree with previous poster its expensive .They are registered with Safe Nights Ireland.
    That’s a ten percent discount if you’re a member.
    I live nearby so don’t have to spend money on diesel so it would suit me.
    Please don’t be afraid to tell them they are expensive.
    The site itself is well set out, very clean and new, the staff are polite and friendly and the little village itself is just magic with beautiful thatched cottages lovely pubs and restaurants and The Bay cafe overlooking the harbour is a great place for a fry up after a skin full of pints the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Looks nice but €34 per night for 2+2 (and more € again for a shower) and no variation for low season aint that competitive.

its good that its beside the village but no site is worth that price

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

karmaan wrote: »
    its good that its beside the village but no site is worth that price

Agreed €34 and did someone say you have to pay for showers on top.

I am already paying and bought the lodging, paid for the laundry, I clean it and I make up the bed, there is no breakfast and I am sharing a shower with randomers.

It's expensive for parking really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The development started out to be a continental type private Aire for motorhome parking for about €10 per night, like the one recently opened in Ardmore.
    However, by the time 'officialdom', who couldn't get their head around the concept, had finished with its planning requirements etc. it ended up as a fully serviced caravan and camping park.

AFAIK the owner has to charge the kind of price mentioned to cover the developement and running costs of something he got 'railroaded' into :eek:

While it might not be a first choice for many motorhomers who simply want somewhere to park for free or at a reasonable price, I hope those looking for full camp-site facilities plus caravanners and campers will support the enterprise.

Fair comments niloc1951 - yes price (28 for 2 including electric) is a bit steep but aren't they all given that it seems most Motorhomers want free or very cheap facilities - if we used these properly developed facilities more we might make the economics of development and running them cheaper; if using them we can also urge owners to cut prices and do 3 night/week long deals - what would be wrong with paying 100 for a week at Dunmore East or the like? Safe, good location, facilities and the beach 300m away. Not using them is a catch 22. Expect the free wild spot in Dunmore to be closed if this properly developed facility is ignored - who would blame them.

• Advertisement

I agree that €34 for 2+2 is expensive. I travel with just 2 of us and that would be €28 I think.
    We spent a weekend in a campsite in Killarney around early May and it was €29.
    So if the facilities are new and well kept and the location is very good, their prices are not totally out of line with other campsites in Ireland.
    The fact that it is very expensive compared to France for instance is not relevant to me as If I dont want to wildcamp here then I will pull into a campsite.
    There is better value out there no doubt but I hope this place gets lots of visitors and maybe the prices will come down a bit as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

i suppose it depends on what people want from a site,it seems to me a family with young children also very large motorhomes with 2 adults are happy to pay a high price for security and clean well run sites,but most people i meet need access to fresh water, grey water and toilet disposal facilities every few days, and not much else. A fairly level grass area is fine for parking, not much point in having a motorhome if the shower is an ornament, the toilet is for emergencies and the kitchen is only used for boiling a kettle!
    A fair price for basic needs will do me fine,also need to be able to walk to the village to spend a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

pastense wrote: »
    I agree that €34 for 2+2 is expensive. I travel with just 2 of us and that would be €28 I think.
    We spent a weekend in a campsite in Killarney around early May and it was €29.
    So if the facilities are new and well kept and the location is very good, their prices are not totally out of line with other campsites in Ireland.
    The fact that it is very expensive compared to France for instance is not relevant to me as If I dont want to wildcamp here then I will pull into a campsite.
    There is better value out there no doubt but I hope this place gets lots of visitors and maybe the prices will come down a bit as a result.

That isn't how market forces work. If they are really busy they will potentially charge more, supply and demand.

I wish them well we do need more sites around that would bring down the prices.

Stayed at achill on site in keel @ €15 a night, we didnt use it but it included hookup. That seemed a reasonable price to me, and a great if out of way location.

.................................... it seems most Motorhomers want free or very cheap facilities -..............................

I think you misunderstood my point.

It's not free or very cheap facilities a lot of us want, it's somewhere official to park for a night or two and it can have no facilities, like Cobh at present.

Somewhere to empty our grey and black water and a tap to replenish our fresh water would be nice, like Midleton, but it's not a must have as most motorhomes can be self sufficient in this department for good few days.

If we need a camping pitch, EHU and the facilities of a camp-site we will pay the going rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

Just spent last Saturday night at Dunmore East Holiday Park with motorhome and 2 kids. Never knew the place existed until I read this thread! Anyway gave them them a call Friday to make sure they would have space and I mentioned the FB offer. The girl said they were very quiet and to come on down the next day.
    We liked the site as it was only a 2 min walk from the golf club where we could get a drink and food if we wanted. Also the beach was just down the road.
    The toilet block and showers were immaculate, and I don't think €1 is going to break anyone for a nice hot shower with space and cleanliness too.
    Small playground for the kids and a few other campers around. Will definitely go back as safety is our priority. Learned the hard way in France a few years ago......

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lob

niloc1951 wrote: »
    The development started out to be a continental type private Aire for motorhome parking for about €10 per night, like the one recently opened in Ardmore.
    However, by the time 'officialdom', who couldn't get their head around the concept, had finished with its planning requirements etc. it ended up as a fully serviced caravan and camping park.

AFAIK the owner has to charge the kind of price mentioned to cover the developement and running costs of something he got 'railroaded' into :eek:

While it might not be a first choice for many motorhomers who simply want somewhere to park for free or at a reasonable price, I hope those looking for full camp-site facilities plus caravanners and campers will support the enterprise.

What hope is there for this country if "officialdom" cannot get their heads around a simple continental parking spot for motorhomes. The park will need a lot of support to recoup the reportedly cost of €400,000 including reportedly the €250,000 in grants.

The free area on the cliff is going to be closed in an effort to get the motorhomes to use the new site.

Where will these people go in the off season? It is going to result in a big loss to the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

We stayed a couple of nights in the parking on the cliff top 2 weeks ago. Great views, close to the village facilities (pubs, shops, restaurants etc). If they close that parking off - we won't be staying there again - a loss to the village, as we spent over 120 euro in the shops, pub and restaurants. There was also a collection for the Dunmore East life boat which they will lose as well.

Add in another 60 euros for the campsite for the facilities that I already have in the motorhome? - that's me out.

Short-sightedness is not the word

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This site is actually on our list to visit later on in the year, as it sounds like a pretty good location walking distance to the village and the beach (we won't wildcamp with the children). It is however, steep enough if you ask me (€34 for 2+2 with hook up). And to the poster earlier, yes paying extra for showers is an irritant - sites can go for the changing room style showers if they're that bothered about wasted hot water.

What are the pitches like? Is it hardstanding and grass per pitch or is it an either/ or job? Are they level or is it a levelling ramps job? This is another bugbear of mine - if you're looking for the type of money Irish sites do, I shouldn't have to mess around to get the 'van reasonably level!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

Lots of hardstand pitches to be had with electric, tap and drain at each one. pitches are 804 stone, not tarmac and the grass is new so not fully mature yet. They are level enough although we used the chocks at the front so Im not sure how level the other pitches are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 boardlog

''It is however, steep enough if you ask me (€34 for 2+2 with hook up)'' Not sure where the €34 is coming from I make it out to be €30 for 2+2. I took a drive up there last week and it looks like a lovely spot, plenty of room, €22 for two adults is reasonable enough I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

boardlog wrote: »
    ''It is however, steep enough if you ask me (€34 for 2+2 with hook up)'' Not sure where the €34 is coming from I make it out to be €30 for 2+2. I took a drive up there last week and it looks like a lovely spot, plenty of room, €22 for two adults is reasonable enough I think
    €30 on offer, €31 on the rates listed. Still expensive (in line with other sites, but very few offer good value IMO).

muint wrote: »
    Lots of hardstand pitches to be had with electric, tap and drain at each one. pitches are 804 stone, not tarmac and the grass is new so not fully mature yet. They are level enough although we used the chocks at the front so Im not sure how level the other pitches are.

With electric, nice to have. Tap and drain on each space, way over the top :confused:

The site seems to be more of a fully spec'd caravanning and camping park than a motorhome parking area.

....Expect the free wild spot in Dunmore to be closed if this properly developed facility is ignored - who would blame them.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread heard on local radio today that the free spot nearer the village, harbour, shops, pubs etc is being closed by the Fisheries agency from 12th Aug - will clamp and charge 150 release fee. Apparently by Order of the Minister!!!!
    Uproar now about this rather than creating a low fee Aire type facility they cut off the visitors who don't need the full facilities of the new Caravan site. Not to mention it's poor location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

No doubt Dunmore East will lose over that move. Last time we were there, there were about 30 campers.

Imagine, just shutting out visitors who spend money - obviously, not enough for the local businesses to appreciate. Somebody down there must think that the country is still in the boom times and they don't need the custom. And there was me thinking that every little helps.

We won't be near DE again until that mentality changes.

odds_on wrote: »
    No doubt Dunmore East will lose over that move. Last time we were there, there were about 30 campers.

Imagine, just shutting out visitors who spend money - obviously, not enough for the local businesses to appreciate. Somebody down there must think that the country is still in the boom times and they don't need the custom. And there was me thinking that every little helps.

We won't be near DE again until that mentality changes.

In fairness, listening to WLR fm to-day there was a significant amount of comment from business people in Dunmore East who do appreciate the economic benefits derived from motorhome tourists who stay at Shinoon and are anxious that parking be allowed continue there.

Listen HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lob

Where will the motorhomes go in the off season? The new campsite will be closed in the off season this will result in an even greater loss to Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

muint wrote: »

The pitches are not level and there is no proper area if you want to put up an awning, all the pitches slope at the side. The stone is also the pits as it absolutely wrecks the floor in the vans and it's too expensive for what you get. The folk running it are very nice and I wish them the best of luck with it but we wont be returning unless the price comes down and they do something with the pitches.

Anyone know if the newly imposed closure of access to the unofficial site by the harbour went ahead today? - Strange that they picked today to impose it and not after August summer season- also closing off options for the upcoming Bluegrass Festival on last weekend of this month (trying to build custom for the new site it seems which is welcome but so poorly located relative to the action in the lower and upper village).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dave_Power

It was on wlr today. I wasnt listening to it intently, but yes its getting closed down

paudi coffey passed a letter onto one of the motorhome spokes people.

wlr do a playback, listen back to the billy macarthy show. the interview was today and they'll have the podcast up tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mhen66

Just parked up in the Dunmore site now. Well impressed, to be honest. Good few campers here. I hope this site does well as its nice to see new sites in nice places .

Advertisement