Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring a Mature spot, possible?

Options
  • 08-07-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey folks, I got offered few of my CAO choices(and done few tests for the maynooth one) And maynooth is the 1st on the CAO list, but Ive got news of a maternity leave contract I can get in civil service, so want to do that for most of the year and save up, and go to maynooth to do same course next September.

But I have no idea how to go about it esp since its mature spot and I done a test to get the place.

Do I accept the place threw the CAO(got emails last week saying I have till 11/7 till accept etc) then defer after that?

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BinaryRyan

Yes, deferring is possible as a mature student. I deferred last year in UCD all do I had to defer after I had already accepted it, they had no problems at all.

CAO Handbook says:

Seeking a deferral: If the HEI has confirmed that it operates deferred entry to the course in question, on receipt of an Offer Notice:

1.Do NOT accept the offer in the manner shown on the Offer Notice.

2.Write or e-mail IMMEDIATELY to the Admissions Office of the appropriate HEI. Give your name as it appears on your CAO application, quote your 2013 CAO Application Number and the Course Code of the offer you wish to defer, and set out the reason(s) for the request. Mark "DEFERRED ENTRY" clearly on the envelope or in the Subject Line of your e-mail.

3.The letter or e-mail must arrive in the Admissions Office at least two days before the "Reply Date" shown on the Offer Notice.

4.The HEI will communicate their decision to you. If the deferral is not granted, you may then accept the offer for the current year. You must send all communications about deferral to the appropriate Admissions Office and not the cao.

So just go to the their site and get the admission address, follow the above and if in doubt give them a call. Hope it works out for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FatherFrost

I cant get threw to Maynooth threw the Phone. And The deadline for CAO acceptance is Thursday yet as you quoted, I need to do this 2 days before that date which is today. Ill send an email in a minute but Post is obviously not an option as wont get there till Thursday/Friday.

Bit worried Ive left it to late to defer? I didn't realise the time limits were so tight :/

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BinaryRyan

It's down to the college(s) decision and discretion, their usual fairly prompt in getting back to you too.

Advertisement