Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certifying degree with an embassy

Options
  • 08-07-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

This is a very general question (perhaps a silly one) but when looking for work abroad do the majority of companies look for a copy/ proof of your third level qualification? Im guessing yes?

Since im not living in Ireland would i have to get someone at home to bring my degree to the embassy to get it verified?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Wouldn't you just give a photocopy of your cert to potential employer ?

These things IMHO don't get verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Depending on what country you are in and what you are applying for you may need to get it officially translated and stamped by a notary public.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

What kind of degree are we talking about here and for what purpose?

If you require it for some kind of professional work then you'll need to have it recognised by the local authorities in that country. At least in Europe there is usually a particular authority for that purpose - medical, accounting, teaching and so on.... For instance here is the body responsible for the recognition of foreign qualifications in Switzerland.

If you are talking about an application to a multinational or large local company, then in most cases they'll happily accept the English versions. If, like me, your degree is in Latin, then an English transcript from the college will do.

For translations I would suggest you start with the Irish Embassy where you are, they are far more likely to have experience of the local requirements than their colleagues in Dublin. And may even have standard forms they can fill in for you. Failing that I'd consult the country's Embassy in Ireland as again they are far more likely to have experience of what is required than most other sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

scruff321 wrote: »
    This is a very general question (perhaps a silly one) but when looking for work abroad do the majority of companies look for a copy/ proof of your third level qualification? Im guessing yes?

Since im not living in Ireland would i have to get someone at home to bring my degree to the embassy to get it verified?

You do this at the Department of Foreign Affairs ... 40 squid per page:

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=268#1
    Educational Certificates can be Authenticated provided they fall within the National Framework of Qualifications established by the National Qualifications Authority of Ireland \ are recognised by the Department of Education.

Easiest way is to go directly into the office in the morning and take a number.

Germany anyway you need an official translation to accompany your document.

Generally this is only really required when dealing with a Government office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

why wouldn't the official looking cert not do as proof of you having the degree? It was with me anyhow.

now, the acceptance of the qualification as being equivalent of a local qualification is another question.
    Bavaria in Germany being an especially good example where the bureaucracy and red tape can be over the top.
    I.e. for nursing and similar professions they have been known to not accept any qualifications from other regions in germany as being equivalent to the local standards let along foreign ones!

• Advertisement
Advertisement