Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 2013 Beta

Options
  • 08-07-2013 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

So, anyone opt in for this? The obvious NDA will of course be in place & we can't discuss details...but I signed up this morning. Apparently, MS points are going to be eventually phased out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, in favour of real money. Those of us who were buying cheap points cards from sites like live-codes will now have to pay full price for digital content. Good for MS and developers, but bad for the consumer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

In the short term we could stand stand to gain though, like 2100 are 24.99 on the dashboard but we all know of places where we can get them sub €20, when the change happens they will be converted to local currency so if they get converted at the 24.99 rate we could profit ..... maybe :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mr E wrote: »
    Yep, in favour of real money. Those of us who were buying cheap points cards from sites like live-codes will now have to pay full price for digital content. Good for MS and developers, but bad for the consumer.

I'm probably the last of a dying breed, but I only ever buy physical media. I'll buy digital where there's no choice, so in that respect, it won't really affect me too much. As you mention, the savings from potential 3rd party discounts on points will die along with the points system...but now at least I'll know exactly how much content is costing, & not be confuddled with converting to points currency :o

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

calex71 wrote: »
    In the short term we could stand stand to gain though, like 2100 are 24.99 on the dashboard but we all know of places where we can get them sub €20, when the change happens they will be converted to local currency so if they get converted at the 24.99 rate we could profit ..... maybe :o

That was my thought process too. Smiley included!!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

I for one am happy the points are going when you want to buy something the points are odd system sometimes. During the sale I wanted wwe 13 and it was 15 euro. But I also wanted to buy Gunslinger and as this was on the market I needed points. So I bought 4200 points and got what I wanted and a few other things in the sale but as I bought wwe 13 I noticed it was 1240 points but 15 in points is 1200. So if I wanted just wwe 13 I would have had to spend more than 15 on points and I think that's really stupid sorry for mini rant.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'm probably the last of a dying breed, but I only ever buy physical media. I'll buy digital where there's no choice, so in that respect, it won't really affect me too much. As you mention, the savings from potential 3rd party discounts on points will die along with the points system...but now at least I'll know exactly how much content is costing, & not be confuddled with converting to points currency :o

Will they though? Just did a quick look on some of the sites as I got to thinking about what if you didnt have a credit card? So I would imagine there will be new cards akin to the ones for PSN credit....maybe :D and those generally go 2 to 3 pounds cheaper than the marked value.

Will they though? Just did a quick look on some of the sites as I got to thinking about what if you didnt have a credit card? So I would imagine there will be new cards akin to the ones for PSN credit....maybe :D and those generally go 2 to 3 pounds cheaper than the marked value.

Yeah true, never thought of the no credit card option

I for one am happy the points are going when you want to buy something the points are odd system sometimes. During the sale I wanted wwe 13 and it was 15 euro. But I also wanted to buy Gunslinger and as this was on the market I needed points. So I bought 4200 points and got what I wanted and a few other things in the sale but as I bought wwe 13 I noticed it was 1240 points but 15 in points is 1200. So if I wanted just wwe 13 I would have had to spend more than 15 on points and I think that's really stupid sorry for mini rant.

€34.58 for 4200 on go2arena and with the aid of the Hungarian brethren the amount of points required are substantially reduced.
    I had never used go2arena but I had the points within 5 minutes. Obviously, Microsoft are looking at closing these loopholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Don't know if anyone can remember the Beta when IE came in, but I opted in for that, and almost every second day there was a huge update required to be downloaded and installed before I could go online.

Now I'm all for getting new tech and playing around with it, but those updates became seriously annoying when you wanted a quick game of FIFA online and had to wait around 20-30 mins before the machine was ready.

Just to keep it in mind people.

Don't know if anyone can remember the Beta when IE came in, but I opted in for that, and almost every second day there was a huge update required to be downloaded and installed before I could go online.

Now I'm all for getting new tech and playing around with it, but those updates became seriously annoying when you wanted a quick game of FIFA online and had to wait around 20-30 mins before the machine was ready.

Just to keep it in mind people.

Yeah that is true, I was in the last Beta too & there were regular updates. Though if I'm all that honest, I found them very quick & hassle free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah true, never thought of the no credit card option

if the only option to pay for xbla stuff was via credit card, it'd be a bigger shot in the foot than the X Bone DRM s***.

if the only option to pay for xbla stuff was via credit card, it'd be a bigger shot in the foot than the X Bone DRM s***.

Well there's Paypal with a debit card too. I totally forgot about store cards. Anyway, the update was pushed to my console yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Well MS have done it again. When you convert the MSP to real money you are losing out. They are claiming that MSPs are worth less now that they have to pay you back for them. Only last week they claimed that no one would be left short and they would round up the prices if needs be.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-15482-Report--Switch-From-Microsoft-Points-to-Local-Currency-Increases-the-Price-of-Xbox-Live-Content.html

Well MS have done it again. When you convert the MSP to real money you are losing out. They are claiming that MSPs are worth less now that they have to pay you back for them. Only last week they claimed that no one would be left short and they would round up the prices if needs be.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-15482-Report--Switch-From-Microsoft-Points-to-Local-Currency-Increases-the-Price-of-Xbox-Live-Content.html

From that link
    One of the problems with this is that if you have 1200 MSP and want to buy a 1200 MSP game, once those points are converted into real currency, you don’t have enough to actually buy the game.

Put simply, your MSP are worth less now.

Here’s a breakdown of the conversion rates:

1600 MSP games now cost £14.99; but 1600 MSP previously converted to around £13.33

1200 MSP games now cost £11.99, but 1200 MSP previously converted to around £10

800 MSP games now cost £8.99, but 800 MSP previously converted to around £6.66

400 MSP games now cost £4.49, but 400 MSP previously converted to around £3.33

Seriously, what happened them lately. They can't do anything right. They are slowly killing Xbox and Windows.

Going on that conversion it works out slightly better for us 400 points is €4.99 to us

A conversion from 4.49GBP is 5.20EU at the moment

So it's the UK getting screwed more so. Suppose, we think we are getting hard done by and then look at what the UK has to pay for the X1 and PS4 compared to us and the US.

So basically, the people who signed up to Beta to help microsoft to improve things, are the first to get shafted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

erkifino wrote: »
    So basically, the people who signed up to Beta to help microsoft to improve things, are the first to get shafted?

Basically.

I think/hope people will only buy XBLA and DLC content now when its on sale. That's the only way to get value from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

cdkeys.com have 4200msp for 34€, redeems at 50€

• Advertisement

This is a safe/good site to use for goods?
    Do they email them?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

Yes instantly, use them often.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

feckers....the switch to real money will end up costing customers more!!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-10-new-real-money-xbox-dash-raises-game-prices

here are the numbers from that article

1600MSP games are now £14.99; previously this was the equivalent of £13.60
    1200 MSP games are now £11.99, previously £10.20
    800 MSP games are now £8.99, an even bigger increase - previously this was £6.80
    400 MSP games are now £4.49, previously £3.20

Going by the 400 points = 4.99EU from earlier a 1200 point game (common price point) will work out at €15EU?????? :eek:

Those who know the PSN are their prices rigidly fixed? like X, Y or Z 4.99 9.99 etc?????

More importantly it will cost MS dearly in the long term, I would have thought nothing of getting an arcade title on impulse but not if it's now going to cost me €15

Edit: I'm willing to wait until MS comment etc before I light my torch and ready my pitchfork as this all still part of the "Beta" dashborad and might not be final though if they are already converting points to money it likely is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Anyone got a link to sign up for the beta?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

CMpunked wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to sign up for the beta?

It wasn't a web sign up this time, there was a link on the home section of the dashboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

It wasn't a web sign up this time, there was a link on the home section of the dashboard.

Ah. Which means everyone seen it and they got well enough people to cover this year. Dam. Oh well, I'm guessing its not gonna be as monumental of an update as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

even though i agreed to not saying anything about any of the updates, i shall break the rules !!!!! i love ms :) and their oh so trusting ways

• Advertisement

Confirmed. Did it yesterday. Got my 50 quid.

Advertisement