Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New entrants to the public sector and the Haddington Rd Agreement?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What happens in practice, is you are moved onto the point closest to that which you were previously on, without a paycut occurring, so it would normally involve a small gross increase in pay. It would be highly unusual to be migrated to a lower point on the salary scale, increment point, notwithstanding.

Wait until its explained properly- the details have not been hammered out yet.

Old Scales €33,247 €36,194 €39,967 €42,838 €45,711 €48,593
    New Entrants €29,922 €32,575 €35,970 €38,554 €41,140 €43,734

Combined Scales €29,922 €32,575 €33,247 €36,194 €39,967 €42,838

As far as I can see, this is where it leaves my batch of new recruits.

In year 2 we will go to €32,575 but only to €33,247 in year 3.

However in the New entrant scales, you went to €32,575 in year 2 (same) but then up to €35,970!

Really pissed off about it to be honest - theres clearly not enough new entrants affected by this because I don't think its been mentioned anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

noodler wrote: »

Really pissed off about it to be honest - theres clearly not enough new entrants affected by this because I don't think its been mentioned anywhere.

This is a real problem. In my own sector the union is dominated by higher grades and union meetings are ~99% higher grades. When new entrants are mentioned they plead ignorance - but they voted in favour of these arrangements!
    New entrants need to join their unions and get onto their executive committees. It's the only way crap like this will stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

This is a real problem. In my own sector the union is dominated by higher grades and union meetings are ~99% higher grades. When new entrants are mentioned they plead ignorance - but they voted in favour of these arrangements!
    New entrants need to join their unions and get onto their executive committees. It's the only way crap like this will stop.
    Agree with you completely on this one, but by the time this happens there will be a whole new cohort to piss down on, and so the cycle continues! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

theres clearly not enough new entrants affected by this because I don't think its been mentioned anywhere.
    Its always those at the bottom that get shafted. You see what they did with the nurses, they have now stopped recruiting new entrants and are using new grads on 85% with two year contracts which is which is actually 85% of the 90% (2011 scale) .

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭chris_john_lane

I'm due to start on the public sector shortly. I got the contract today.. It says I will be paid on the Social Care Worker scale about 29000-57000...it says new entrants will be paid point one of the scale. I'm currently working for a charity based company funded by the hse. Am I a new entrant?

• Advertisement

Is this for Social Care Workers?
    Old Scales €33,247 €36,194 €39,967 €42,838 €45,711 €48,593
    New Entrants €29,922 €32,575 €35,970 €38,554 €41,140 €43,734

Combined Scales €29,922 €32,575 €33,247 €36,194 €39,967 €42,838

As far as I can see, this is where it leaves my batch of new recruits.

In year 2 we will go to €32,575 but only to €33,247 in year 3.

However in the New entrant scales, you went to €32,575 in year 2 (same) but then up to €35,970!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm due to start on the public sector shortly. I got the contract today.. It says I will be paid on the Social Care Worker scale about 29000-57000...it says new entrants will be paid point one of the scale. I'm currently working for a charity based company funded by the hse. Am I a new entrant?

Unless you are a public sector worker- regardless of the fact that the company you are working for is a HSE funded charity- you are a new entrant. Occasionally cases are made for recognition of prior experience, if the employer is unable to recruit another candidate at the minimum point of the scale- however, its exceptional in nature- and has to be sanctioned on a case-by-case basis.

Seems ridiculous to me. I have 7 years experience and I'll be paid the same as someone straight out of college with no experience?

Unless you are a public sector worker- regardless of the fact that the company you are working for is a HSE funded charity- you are a new entrant. Occasionally cases are made for recognition of prior experience, if the employer is unable to recruit another candidate at the minimum point of the scale- however, its exceptional in nature- and has to be sanctioned on a case-by-case basis.

Seems ridiculous to me. I have 7 years experience and I'll be paid the same as someone straight out of college with no experience?

Join the club- I joined the civil service @ age 28- with relevant qualifications and experience- and had people joining on the same day, 10 years younger than me, who had no qualifications or experience, on exactly the same salary.

Its just how the public sector works. You either accept it- or you look elsewhere. I was willing to take the hit- in exchange for the pension, family friendly policies and flexitime- but it cost me- my job before I joined the civil service paid 16k more than my civil service post did.

Its a case of swings and roundabouts- and unless you're willing to accept that the public sector job has benefits other than purely financial benefits, then you're better off in the private sector.......

The thing is as a Social Care Worker experience is vital so I'll more than likely be working with people fresh out of college. Someone in the public sector already will more than likely be taking a pay cut to take this position I've been offered.

Pay peanuts and you'll get monkeys
    Join the club- I joined the civil service @ age 28- with relevant qualifications and experience- and had people joining on the same day, 10 years younger than me, who had no qualifications or experience, on exactly the same salary.

Its just how the public sector works. You either accept it- or you look elsewhere. I was willing to take the hit- in exchange for the pension, family friendly policies and flexitime- but it cost me- my job before I joined the civil service paid 16k more than my civil service post did.

Its a case of swings and roundabouts- and unless you're willing to accept that the public sector job has benefits other than purely financial benefits, then you're better off in the private sector.......

• Advertisement

The thing is as a Social Care Worker experience is vital so I'll more than likely be working with people fresh out of college. Someone in the public sector already will more than likely be taking a pay cut to take this position I've been offered.

Pay peanuts and you'll get monkeys

True- but then- most of us certainly don't work in the public service for the money........ The media would have you believe we're all money grabbing yokels- which couldn't be further from the truth.......

I'm certainly not in it for the money but I do want all my hard work over the years to be taken into account. I won't be accepting point 1 of the scale. Do you think it's even worth trying to negotiate it?
    True- but then- most of us certainly don't work in the public service for the money........ The media would have you believe we're all money grabbing yokels- which couldn't be further from the truth.......

I'm certainly not in it for the money but I do want all my hard work over the years to be taken into account. I won't be accepting point 1 of the scale. Do you think it's even worth trying to negotiate it?

Its worth arguing the point- there is no guarantee you'll get anywhere- but I would certainly accept the job offer, but dispute starting on Point 1 of the salary scale. I know of people who have successfully argued the point (mostly in research roles)- and I know it does happen- but its rare........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I wasn't even a new entrant in the public service - I had worked there in an identical role (same job title) since mid 2010 - however when I moved to the exact same role/grade/title in another public service organisation I had to restart back at the start of the scale - which is even more unfair than the situation for new entrants to be honest. It's a very unfortunately situation and the unions don't seem to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I wasn't even a new entrant in the public service - I had worked there in an identical role (same job title) since mid 2010 - however when I moved to the exact same role/grade/title in another public service organisation I had to restart back at the start of the scale - which is even more unfair than the situation for new entrants to be honest. It's a very unfortunately situation and the unions don't seem to care.

Id look into that if I was you

I think I will accept the job and try argue my case based on my experience
    Its worth arguing the point- there is no guarantee you'll get anywhere- but I would certainly accept the job offer, but dispute starting on Point 1 of the salary scale. I know of people who have successfully argued the point (mostly in research roles)- and I know it does happen- but its rare........

adam88 wrote: »
    Id look into that if I was you

Big time. Sounds like someone in Personnel/HR screwed up.

Pre-existing public sector employees move posts to the point closest to their current salary point- if that point happens to be the lowest point on the salary scale on which they are moving to- so be it- you do not get to go to point 2 on a scale because you have 2 years service- you go to the nearest salary point on the scale. You are not expected to take a salary cut- but nor are you expected to benefit unduly from a move/promotion........

So- it depends on whether the lowest point on the scale was in fact the point closest to your pre-existing salary or not- if it is- you go on the lowest point of the scale- if not- you go onto the point closest to your pre-existing salary- without taking a cut.

A promotion in the public sector does not mean you get a large pay rise........ In some cases your terms may in fact be worse (for example SOs get 1 day more annual leave than EOs get........)....... Lots of little anomalies like this........

I think I will accept the job and try argue my case based on my experience

Go for it. I know several people who successfully argued the point- unfortunately alongside a significant number of people, myself and my wife included- who failed to convince them.

You have nothing to loose though- but make sure you accept the post- pending mutual agreement on an appropriate point of the salary scale- don't just sign the contract they send you- you will need to modify it- noting that you're accepting the post- but disputing the starting salary.

Make sure you accept the post no matter what you do- if you dispute the starting salary- without accepting the post- you'll have turned down the post- its how it works.......

How do I modify their contract?
    Go for it. I know several people who successfully argued the point- unfortunately alongside a significant number of people, myself and my wife included- who failed to convince them.

You have nothing to loose though- but make sure you accept the post- pending mutual agreement on an appropriate point of the salary scale- don't just sign the contract they send you- you will need to modify it- noting that you're accepting the post- but disputing the starting salary.

Make sure you accept the post no matter what you do- if you dispute the starting salary- without accepting the post- you'll have turned down the post- its how it works.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

How do I modify their contract?

You don't need to modify any contract. You simply seek incremental credit.

• Advertisement

Was the work you were doing before the same as being a social worker?

so do I include a letter requesting this along with the signed contract?
    ezra_pound wrote: »
    You don't need to modify any contract. You simply seek incremental credit.

so do I include a letter requesting this along with the signed contract?

Yes- however I would annotate the contract drawing attention to your request in the attached letter.

You should download the HSE terms and conditions of employment PDF. The last part deals with incremental credit. From reading through it I wouldn't be sure that you will get credit. It's not clear in your case - unless you were actually working as a social worker.

Good luck. I'd say a few years back you'd have got it sorted but in this day and age you'll be lucky to get rules bent in your favour.

This question probably isn't for here but it relates to the job I've been offered in the public sector.

I've annual leave booked in my current position (flights booked). What's the situation starting a new job, will they give me the time off? It's over the Christmas period also!!

This question probably isn't for here but it relates to the job I've been offered in the public sector.

I've annual leave booked in my current position (flights booked). What's the situation starting a new job, will they give me the time off? It's over the Christmas period also!!

What date do you start your new PS job?

They only sent me out the contract on Friday. I state on the 13th
    What date do you start your new PS job?

Most likely you'll be given your pro rata leave allowance for 2014 and then your full leave for 2015.

So you'll be working at least 2 months in 14 so you'll get at least one sixth of your 2014 leave I.e. min 3.5 /4 days based on 21 days leave per annum. Then you'll get full leave for 2015.

It sounds like your holiday may span both years.

BUT

some public sector employers including many civil service organisations don't run annual leave January to December. They often do the old year of April start or even possibly October start!

So for April start

Your initial leave would presumably be 5/12ths or so of your normal leave up until April 2015.

This is making lots of presumptions of how your employers he does things!

Edit: either way you should have enough leave to take your holiday! Main issue is ensuring you book the time off asap etc.

Yes the annual leave year runs from January to December
    Most likely you'll be given your pro rata leave allowance for 2014 and then your full leave for 2015.

So you'll be working at least 2 months in 14 so you'll get at least one sixth of your 2014 leave I.e. min 3.5 /4 days based on 21 days leave per annum. Then you'll get full leave for 2015.

It sounds like your holiday may span both years.

BUT

some public sector employers including many civil service organisations don't run annual leave January to December. They often do the old year of April start or even possibly October start!

So for April start

Your initial leave would presumably be 5/12ths or so of your normal leave up until April 2015.

This is making lots of presumptions of how your employers he does things!

Edit: either way you should have enough leave to take your holiday! Main issue is ensuring you book the time off asap etc.

• Advertisement

This is the response to my email questions.

1. Salary is the first point on the RCW salary scale which is currently
    €29698
    2. Unless your are currently working in the Public Sector not funded by the
    government you are placed on the first point
    3. The salary is not negotiable
    4. The hours are based on a 39 hours per week currently the roster is two
    days on three days off three days on etc., shift range from 13 hours, 10
    hours,
    5. No sleepovers are no longer required
    6. A secure unit allowance of € 2195.81 is paid yearly, other allowances
    would be Sunday, and public holiday premium allowance
    7. The Employee handbook is currently being updated, through negotiations
    with the IMPACT union and will be signed off by the Board of Management on
    the 8th October, I hope to have it available for the 13th October

Yes- however I would annotate the contract drawing attention to your request in the attached letter.

Advertisement