Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love Longford - Longford Summer Festival

Options
  • 08-07-2013 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

After hearing about the Love Longford festival last weekend, it brought me back to my teenage years when the Summer Festival rolled in to town.
    It was always a great week - the shops did a shop window competition (where you had to get all the clues to win a prize) music every night on the streets, the carnival down near the old swimming pool and then on Bog Lane and culminating in the Beat on the Street on the Saturday night.
    It was great when local bands got a chance to showcase their wares i.e Yellow Snow, Verdict etc;
    Anyone else have any memories of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

After hearing about the Love Longford festival last weekend, it brought me back to my teenage years when the Summer Festival rolled in to town.
    It was always a great week - the shops did a shop window competition (where you had to get all the clues to win a prize) music every night on the streets, the carnival down near the old swimming pool and then on Bog Lane and culminating in the Beat on the Street on the Saturday night.
    It was great when local bands got a chance to showcase their wares i.e Yellow Snow, Verdict etc;
    Anyone else have any memories of it?

Seeing the excellent Whipping Boy in 1995, I think it was. Also seeing a guy attempting a stage dive and completely missing the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

haha i remember the frames played one year. one fella i know got up on stage to do a stage dive but everyone pulled back so he just clambered down really awkwardly.
    jools holland played one year too. wasn't really into that music but he was one of the best entertainers that was ever there.

public liability screwed everything up and put an end to the good summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

I remember The Frames played another time too..
    The Beat on the Street was like an open air Pop Fizz. Every teenager in the town drank a naggin/flagon (or 2) behind the Library/Teagasc. Then we discovered Buckie and the Council Offices...
    Good times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭davehey79

The one that sticks out for me was Pato Banton doing the Longford Festival, can't remember which year but he had that sony Baby Come Back out at the time and possiblty even number 1 !!

Advertisement