Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Working day

Options
  • 08-07-2013 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey guys just looking for some opinions or advice from people wih similar experience..Ive started a new job,its factory work,and start at 8 every morning and finish at 4.30 in the evening,however,its based in dublin city and im getting the bus from carlow every morning at 6am and the return bus at 5.30pm so i will be at home every evening at around 7pm,plus im up at 5.30am every morning..anyone with similar working hours or is this not a bad day at all??,thanks in advance guys:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

mickeyodee wrote: »
    Hey guys just looking for some opinions or advice from people wih similar experience..Ive started a new job,its factory work,and start at 8 every morning and finish at 4.30 in the evening,however,its based in dublin city and im getting the bus from carlow every morning at 6am and the return bus at 5.30pm so i will be at home every evening at around 7pm,plus im up at 5.30am every morning..anyone with similar working hours or is this not a bad day at all??,thanks in advance guys:)

8 till 430 is a normal enough working day. Your commute is the issue, any possibility of moving closer to the job?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Your commute is not counted as part of your working day. 8-4.30 is pretty standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Since your taking the bus you could take advantage of it and read books, or even computer based training's. During the M50 works a few years ago it used to take me 3 hours to get home through the traffic. Choice is to either move closer to the job or try and look at it on the other side and take advantage of the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Jeez thats not a long day at all, I normally get in to work for 8 and leave at around 5:45 on the days im in the city centre (commute is about 40 mins), some of the days im in Belfast I leave the house at 6:30, hour and a half or so in the car, work til 5 and repeat drive home, usually in the door at 7, then play with 11 month old for a couple of hours. Do the Belfast commute about twice a week.

What you are working is a normal day, if not in my opinion kinda short with a mediumy commute on a bus where you can switch off and sleep.

Im sure there are people who work 60/70 hours a week who wouldnt mind a 40 hour week, failing that ask a junior doctor what a long working day is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

OP, is there family reasons or something why you are commuting from Carlow rather than moving closer? Because that commute is crazy, and I would imagine the cost of it is eating into your salary also. It might be time to reconsider the logistics of this.

The actual working hours are pretty standard though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement