Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MEPs voting on ecigs/vaping this Wednesday afternoon!

Options
  • 08-07-2013 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

Snagged from Dragonmum over on UKV:
    E-mail from Chris Davies

You can do something today to help protect e-cigs

Dear friend

The MEPs who sit on the European Parliament's environment and public health committee will have three e-cig choices before them when they vote this Wednesday afternoon.

To accept the European Commission proposals to require all manufacturers to have their e-cigs registered as medicinal products, very much to reduce their nicotine content, and to insist that all packaging carries large (and suspect) health warnings. This would be hugely damaging to the use and development of e-cigs.

To adopt the alternative proposal (compromise amendment 48) from the 'rapporteur', Labour MEP Linda McAvan, which also calls for e-cigs to be registered as medicinal products but seeks to do so with a lighter touch on the grounds that the use of nicotine is well established. Whatever the good intentions the requirement to comply with the Medicines Directive is bound to impose significant costs on manufacturers and restrictions on e-cigs, in some countries more than others.

To support instead compromise amendment 49 from my Belgian Liberal colleague Frédérique Ries that calls for e-cigs simply to comply with general product safety requirements. It specifically states that they should be available for sale outside pharmacies. This also has the support of the British Conservatives.

You know from personal experience all the arguments in favour of the availability of e-cigs. My view is very simple - we should not be introducing any measures that make it harder to obtain e-cigs than it is to obtain tobacco cigarettes.

I will be voting for amendment 49, trying to make sure that while e-cigs are safe, they don’t have to jump through any more hoops than necessary.

If you want to encourage other MEPs to do the same then why not ask them on Twitter or email the Environment Committee MEPs.

I’m not going to give you a form letter to send (your own words will be much more effective) but you can find a list of MEPs who sit on the committee here: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/committees/en/envi/members.html#menuzone

Best of luck getting the message on e-cigs out there and if you want to keep up to date with the campaign, you can visit my website at http://www.chrisdaviesmep.org.uk

Kind Regards

Chris Davies MEP

You're receiving this because you emailed Chris Davies MEP. Chris Davies MEP and the Liberal Democrats may use the information you have provided to contact you from time to time about this and other issues. Some of these contacts may be automated. If you don't want us to contact you any more just let us know by email or use one of the unsubscribe options in this email.

Edit your subscription | Unsubscribe

87a Castle Street, Stockport, SK3 9AR

Nice that they have the bolded part as a choice - COMMENCE LETTER WRITING!

Comments

Advertisement