Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mosquitoes

• 08-07-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

The weather is fantastic now but come the night those mossies seem to
    lurk around every darkened corner, come in every open window and with
    so much stealth find me. I do get some but it just isnt fair so many of them

Are you on their hit list too or do they avoid you? Whats your story, your remedy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ireland?Mosquitoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

there's mosquitoes in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

We have a special species of Mosquito in this country, called Lucindae Cretinae, which lurks around Dublin trying to infect others. I'm sure you didn't encounter it, I just hope you didn't end up contributing to its reproduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

De Bellem wrote: »
    so much stealth find me.

There was a lad Mossie from down my way who got done for burglary.

Are you having a go at him?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭De Bellem

Mossie / Mozzie probably a fever is affecting me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

kneemos wrote: »
    Ireland?Mosquitoes?
    123 LC wrote: »

There's dozens of species of mosquito in Ireland. Why do people not know this?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Think you mean midges OP. Mosquitos found here would be national headlines and you'd find all those scantily clad people quickly covering up in the heat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I must be lucky they don't go near me. I spent time in South America, America, Mexico, Bahrain & Egypt and I never got bit once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

De Bellem wrote: »
    so much stealth find me. I do get some but it just isnt fair so many of them

Are you on their hit list too or do they avoid you? Whats your story, your remedy.

I just sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I am destroyed with bites today. Is it definitely mosquitoes that do the biting in Ireland or midges? If I go abroad I get big huge bites so have to take anti-histamines before I go. My blood must taste like orange juice:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

There was a report last year, they are found mostly in the south of the country were it is generally much warmer, thank fook.

Wouldn't know a mosquito if it bit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

there are small mozzies here, but they are fine. Its the fcuking midges will drive you nuts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

we have mosquitoes in ireland but not the ones that transmit malaria.

go us! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I go for a walk around a forest park and there's loads of mosquitoes during the summer. I find the best way to avoid them is to keep walking quickly. They tend not to bite as much then. As soon as I stand in one spot fifteen or twenty of them start sucking the blood from my arms and neck.

I rarely see them anywhere else though. The one exception was last winter when there was loads of them around my house. Not one of them bit me though. I don't know if they was because they were a species that don't bite or if it was because they were mostly males.

The most painful bite I've ever received was from a horsefly biting my hand. It felt like someone had cut me with a pliers. I ended up with a red lump that lasted for almost two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

There are mosquitos in Ireland. Have been bitten a few times. The first about 10 years ago. Blown across the Channel from the Continent I imagine. Maybe using Britain as a land-bridge. :D But definitely mozzies.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dan dan

Yes we have mosquitos in Ireland. Actually it was an IRISH mossie that infected Cromwell with malaria and killed him. There really is a God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Just back from Canada.

They actually take chunks out of you over there.

must be the lesser-known-buck-teethed-mosquito or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭lau1247

was at glendalough on saturday for picnic, got bit..

The biting part is fine, it is the bloody itchiness days after the bite that is the pain in the hole

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

sheesh wrote: »
    we have mosquitoes in ireland but not the ones that transmit malaria.

go us! :D

They're here.. they're just waiting =p
    Dr. Elizabeth Cullen tells us this: 'All that is necessary is a return of regularly recurring hotter summers over a definite period of years, and the malaria–carrying Anopheles will inevitably re-establish themselves and infect a certain proportion of the community... Given suitable breeding conditions, malaria becomes inevitable.'

Dr. Cullen goes on to tell us that malaria was rife in Cork in the mid 1880s, when a succession of warmer summers enabled the heat-loving insects to survive. The other essential elements for a high population of Anopheles are lots of wet, marshy ground and plenty of food.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/living/2673-mosquitoes-along-the-lakeshore
    Today Ireland has 18 species of mosquitoes of which four are Anopheles (including Anopheles Claviger (Meigen)) the potential carriers of malaria.

http://charles-mount.ie/wp/?p=883

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lau1247 wrote: »

The biting part is fine, it is the bloody itchiness days after the bite that is the pain in the hole

Plenty of horse flies and midges up there doing the biting. I wouldn't be to quick to blame the mozzies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I live in Brisbane where they are plentiful and the best advice I was given (which works), is to rub a little deep heat onto the bite and it stops the itching straight away.

As for not getting bitten in the first place, a million theories but none that really work apart from dousing yourself in army strength repellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

lau1247 wrote: »

I go to Spain every year and get destroyed by mozzies. Tried everything but the only thing that works for me now is taking vitamin b complex tablets and a spray called Incognito,this can be bought in a health food shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Got bitten to shreds in Jamaica. I was at this reggae bar wearing shorts. I'd been indulging in the local herb so I didn't notice till the morning. Spent the next few days itching like crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

We have always had Mozzies just not the malaria. Midges are type of Mozzie. Was at cousins in delvin a few years ago and got destroyed by the backstards , locals were calling them nads or something like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I woke up on a beach in Ecuador one morning with 42 bites on my neck, ears, shoulders and legs, girl beside me had 2, the little bastards bloody love me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

And I've also been bitten in Ireland in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Someone in Carlow ended up in hospital last year after being badly bitten by mosquitoes.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/carlowpeople/news/dont-let-the-bad-bugs-bite-28908489.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Spent the last 3 months in asia getting eaten alive by mossies- absolutely hate them.

Had one day ziplinning in Dublin- was loads of midges around.. Again eaten alive and now itchy as fck. They just seem to like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Have been to all the usual locations where one might expect to find these gastly creatures and usually don't even think of repellent until some fellow countryman complains about getting bitten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Oh, look - the annual look of suprise as Ireland wakes up to the fact that there ARE mosquitos in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Eat lots of garlic, that way your blood won't be as tasty to them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Just back from Canada.

They actually take chunks out of you over there.

must be the lesser-known-buck-teethed-mosquito or something.
    Candy_Girl wrote: »
    Eat lots of garlic, that way your blood won't be as tasty to them :D

Except in Canada where the garlic would inflame the passion of the French-speaking, buck-toothed, miniature-beret wearing mosquito.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Only 'mosquito' I know of here in Ireland are them Midges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

shaka wrote: »
    We have always had Mozzies just not the malaria. Midges are type of Mozzie. Was at cousins in delvin a few years ago and got destroyed by the backstards , locals were calling them nads or something like that.

I think you mean 'gnats'.

Things like lemongrass and eucalyptus are supposed to be good for repelling mosquitoes, although it's never been an issue for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Do none of you wear insect repellent?

If they bite you when you're drunk presumably they get a buzz off it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Sudocreme, it's the only thing that works after the little b%ggers have devoured you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

kneemos wrote: »
    Ireland?Mosquitoes?

Yes.
    123 LC wrote: »

Yes, that's what we said.
    gurramok wrote: »
    Think you mean midges OP. Mosquitos found here would be national headlines and you'd find all those scantily clad people quickly covering up in the heat :)

Why would that be, given that we have 18 native species of mosquito?
    There are mosquitos in Ireland. Have been bitten a few times. The first about 10 years ago. Blown across the Channel from the Continent I imagine. Maybe using Britain as a land-bridge. :D But definitely mozzies.

You'd imagine wrong, then. They're native.
    BeerWolf wrote: »
    Only 'mosquito' I know of here in Ireland are them Midges.

What you "know" and the actual truth are two very different things.

Here's the poster that summed it up the best:
    MadsL wrote: »
    Oh, look - the annual look of suprise as Ireland wakes up to the fact that there ARE mosquitos in Ireland.

Well done, MadsL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I must be lucky they don't go near me. I spent time in South America, America, Mexico, Bahrain & Egypt and I never got bit once.

I'm convinced its genetic. I can sit out in a jungle and they won't go near me, and other people will be eaten alive. My dad is the same. I think I've had one, maybe two suspected mosquito bites in my life, and its not for want of traveling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

If you're going to be falling asleep after a nice warm flagon with your head sticking out of the tent, be sure to wear a balaclava with a good repellant on exposed areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Why would that be, given that we have 18 native species of mosquito?

I should of said malaria carrying mosquito's!

I did get bitten a fair bit by them in Florida, thankfully none so far in our heatwave :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

the peoples whats giving out about the midgets should be glad we dont have moqitos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Kolido wrote: »
    Do none of you wear insect repellent?

I never have to. Most of them leave me alone.

IFAIK, midges are a type of mosquito, are they not?

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midge Apparently not. Also didn't know that Midge wasn't a particular taxonomic group, but several different flies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

99% Deet repellent all the way - they won't go near you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

my my my wrote: »
    the peoples whats giving out about the midgets should be glad we dont have moqitos

Oh, do keep up. We do have mosquitos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Tip for the bites: dab of ammonia works a charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

got 8 bites on my legs last week, the exact same kind of bites that i have gotten in mosquito countries.

Never thought they were here but they obviously are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Forget Deet, Avon Skin so Soft is the thing, and I can confirm it works as I spend a lot of time hillwalking in Wicklow and it keeps them at bay just fine ...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/avon-s-spray-finds-calling-as-midge-repellent-for-royal-marines-1-1403152

• Advertisement
Advertisement