Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Usa

Options
  • 08-07-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

hey everybody, kind of need a little help,

finished college 2 years ago, got a degree, but got no work out of it.
    currently working in a S***** job now, with no future outlook from it.

asking for help in how to apply to work in america for a 1 or 2 years as i dont know were to start. aslo have brother and sister there living for years.

would that help get a visa quicker?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

rob55 wrote: »
    hey everybody, kind of need a little help,

finished college 2 years ago, got a degree, but got no work out of it.
    currently working in a S***** job now, with no future outlook from it.

asking for help in how to apply to work in america for a 1 or 2 years as i dont know were to start. aslo have brother and sister there living for years.

would that help get a visa quicker?

thanks

Sorry but the bad news is there's no easy legal way, certainly nothing instant. You are too long out of college to apply for the one year working visa. And unless you have a very specific skillset that's in demand in the US, or already work for a company that has a US office and internal transfer options, your best chance is the green card lottery which has low odds and works years in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Your brother and sister, if US citizens, can petition you for a immigration visa but you are looking at a 12 year wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rob55

is it that hard to work in the US even with a qulification for a year or two?

same for canada and australia.

i know people who went to oz with no qulifications and there working away?

is it that hard to work in the US even with a qulification for a year or two?

same for canada and australia.

i know people who went to oz with no qulifications and there working away?

Basically yes, the US has a much tighter immigration regime than the other countries you mention.

US is way harder unless you have excellent qualifications, because you need to find an employer to sponsor you, which costs them $5000+ so in the current market they are unlikely to do that because they can hire locals.

If you are young enough, Australia is a great option, and I believe Canada is easier too.

• Advertisement

thanks all, talking to my brother in US, says america is difficult than years ago, he mentioned canada i would go, oz not really!

would going to US embassy in dublin help

would have family in america that are legally there help? rambling on here a bit

The US embassy cannot help you.
    Your sister or brother CAN help you, but like I said, there is a long waitinglist- about 12 years at this time

thanks all, talking to my brother in US, says america is difficult than years ago, he mentioned canada i would go, oz not really!

would going to US embassy in dublin help

would have family in america that are legally there help? rambling on here a bit

Nothing at all to be achieved by going to the embassy. They have strict criteria and stick to them.

As another posted has already advised you, your siblings could petition for you but it would take 12 years.

Apply for the green card lottery in the autumn, and the next one and the next one etc, you may be lucky. At least one poster on here got their green card first time round. Bear in mind that being successful in the lottery doesn't automatically grant you a green card, there are interviews and medicals required and you need to have a significant amount of money in a bank account.

Otherwise, take your brother's advice and consider elsewhere.

thanks for information, everybody, means alot.

Advertisement