Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping in hot weather!

Options
  • 08-07-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what all your little ones are wearing going to bed in this hot weather?
    My boy is nearly 10 months old and is so hot and uncomfortable in this weather.

His nursery is 27℃ tonight, even with window open all day and all windows and doors in the house open too. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

He went down in a short sleeve vest tonight anda light celullar blanket to cover him.

He usually sleeps in 17-18℃ nursery in vest, sleepsuit and 1 tog grobag.

Any info and tips would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Our little ones nursery was 29 last night even with fan on. She was in a vest and cellular blanket (which she kicks of!) didn't settle until late then was crying in sleep and waking every half hour! Finally brought her in with us as our room seems a bit cooler!

Tonight her room is 27 with fan on! In vest and 1 tog gro bag (have tried her with just a blanket a few times and always seems to have a unsettled night!)

I won't sleep very well tho worrying if she's too hot! She's only 5month!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Nicky987 wrote: »
    Our little ones nursery was 29 last night even with fan on. She was in a vest and cellular blanket (which she kicks of!) didn't settle until late then was crying in sleep and waking every half hour! Finally brought her in with us as our room seems a bit cooler!

Tonight her room is 27 with fan on! In vest and 1 tog gro bag (have tried her with just a blanket a few times and always seems to have a unsettled night!)

I won't sleep very well tho worrying if she's too hot! She's only 5month!

Never thought of a fan! Must pick one up tomorrow. I find he doesn't sleep as well with a blanket as he does with grobag too. It's hard to know what the right thing to do is.

Love this weather but wish the evenings were a little cooler so they can at least get a proper sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

15 month old went down in just a nappy tonight, did put a light blanket over him twice but both times he kicked it off.
    His room is currently 27 degrees with the fan on!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Only thing I find with the fan on is that it's a bit nosey. Il put it in a timer now for a hour or to so it's not on all night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Just a nappy here as well. No idea how warm the room is but it's uncomfortable warm even with most of the windows upstairs open :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

6 month old and 2 year old are in just a nappy, I have windows and doors open everywhere and it is boiling!!

Temperature isn't dropping at all in this bloody furnace! Boiling. :O

He has woke twice already. Moving all over the place without the grobag. Disaster, and now the noisy kids next door have decided they will camp outside. Sleep isn't on the cards tonight.

Hopefully my little man gets some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Two year old in a pj top & nappy. Seems to be bearing the heat ok. 6 month old in vest & nappy & not happy at all. 6mth old still in our room & it's 29 degrees with all windows & doors open!! So have decamped to the sitting room where it is 23 degrees. Am hoping for some sleep now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I have my 20 week old in a grow bag and short sleeved and footless baby grow, my issue is that he has a cough so don't want it getting worse by too few layers so not sure how to dress him

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭odddavey

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what all your little ones are wearing going to bed in this hot weather?
    My boy is nearly 10 months old and is so hot and uncomfortable in this weather.

His nursery is 27℃ tonight, even with window open all day and all windows and doors in the house open too. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

He went down in a short sleeve vest tonight anda light celullar blanket to cover him.

He usually sleeps in 17-18℃ nursery in vest, sleepsuit and 1 tog grobag.

Any info and tips would be much appreciated.

Try this for today if u can

Leave the window closed all day
    Pull blind all day
    Close curtains all day
    Leave door closed all day
    It will be much cooler in there
    I find that works very well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We had our 12 month old in her vest, nappy and light gro bag. Room was 26C when we put her down and it took her ages to settle.
    She sort of woke at 1 but I settled her before she woke fully at 6, a full hour earlier than normal. Room was 24C this morning.

Just make sure they're constantly given water. Babies sleep in this weather in other countries all the time. Still doesn't make it easier for us though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My 10 week old is in a summer body suit/vest and nappy. She's in/on our bed so gets heat from us too. My son has summer pjs (shorts and tshirt) and 1 tog gro bag. Thankfully our bedrooms get the sun in the morning so are a cool 22-23oc by night time.

Hope all your little ones got some sleep last night. My lo woke at 1, 3 and 5. Gave him some water and he went straight back to sleep. He didn't even open his eyes.

Woke at 8 for his morning bottle and it's 26 degrees in there. Dread to think how hot it will get today.

Thanks for sharing all your info/ tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

My 3 week old was like a demon last night. He's so good normally that I'm thinking it can only be the heat. He was in a vest and light cellular blanket with the window open last night. I'm constantly checking him to see if he's too warm/too cold/just right. It's driving me mad and I'm knackered from being up with him so we're all cranky in the MurdyWurdy household!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

My almost 12wk old is in a vest and grobag. He's not as cranky as he was the last time there was good weather but he definitely wants to boob more.

Im also checking on him to see what temp he is at night.

Oh yeah, good point, he's definitely on the boob more too. I forget that it's their liquid source as well as food and they get thirsty too.

My little man got weighed today and is big enough now for the 1 tog gro bag we have so I think I'll give that a go tonight with just a vest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Oh the grobag company do a night light which doubles as a thermonitor - the colour will tell you if the room is too hot or cold

bp wrote: »
    Oh the grobag company do a night light which doubles as a thermonitor - the colour will tell you if the room is too hot or cold

Yeah, we have one if these this with an owl head attachment. I recommend it!

It was telling us the room was 24C last night - 18 - 20 is ideal. So hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

odddavey wrote: »
    Try this for today if u can

Leave the window closed all day
    Pull blind all day
    Close curtains all day
    Leave door closed all day
    It will be much cooler in there
    I find that works very well

I'm finding if I keep everything closed that the house is cooler. It doesn't feel right to do it though in this weather.

24 degrees past two nights in his room, so just vest & a cotton sheet or just a 1 tog gro bag only

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

For anyone with a fan in the baby's room. Get 3 2 litre bottles, fill them with water and freeze them. Take them out of the freezer and place them in front of a fan. A tip I got from my mother in law who lives in France. This does seem to help cool down the air in our baby's bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I just checked the gro egg in my 11 week olds nursery and it read 35.9!!!!! Luckily our room where she sleeps is a bit cooler but at night we've left her in just her nappy and swaddled in her miracle blanket. The heat seems to have the opposite effect on her and she's completely conked out, spent half the night checking she was ok, not a bother on her! Now if only I could sleep....

Hubby just arrived home from work with a little electric fan. Best present ever! We're going to try the frozen water bottles in front of it. Thanks for the tip!

That's a mad temperature Digs! Our gro egg still says 24C but at least it's no warmer. Great that your little one doesn't mind the heat. My boy was so cranky all morning until he fell asleep at 2. I'm not sure if it's the heat or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I left the little man out of the grobag tonight. He's just in a vest with a cellular over him. After being in just his nappy all day he didnt even want the vest on him.

Still 26°C in our room.... I feel like im sweating just lying down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Oh yeah, good point, he's definitely on the boob more too. I forget that it's their liquid source as well as food and they get thirsty too.

My little man got weighed today and is big enough now for the 1 tog gro bag we have so I think I'll give that a go tonight with just a vest.

3 week growth spurt could be contributing as well as the heat. :)

Melting tonight. Has woken up three times all ready and took an hour to put down. Usually takes ten mins. Poor fella is roasted.

26℃ in there at the mo. Can't take another ten days of this! Wish the nights were 20 degrees max!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

28 degrees in the little fellas room tonight!!
    In just a nappy again, I've checked on him a couple of times & each times he's in a different spot, must be moving around to find a cool spot on the matteress!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

My room showing 28.5 so decided to put the little guy in his own room for first time tonight. That room is cooler as only gets sun in the morning. Even tho I can hear him move from my room with doors open I've monitor on. Not keen on him being in his own room as he's only 15 weeks but he seems so much more comfortable in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Have you tried a cool bath before bed. I have been doing this the last two nights and not been having any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Our 10 month old went asleep in his grobag and short sleeve vest. The room was 29c so it was obviously a stupid idea to use the grobag so we took him out of it and he slept all night in just the vest.

The room was still 28c in the morning!

I am off to buy a fan after work. Nothing I could do would bring the temperature down even with all windows open and wafting his bedroom door back and over for an hour!

• Advertisement

Finally it seems to have eased a little! 24 tonight. Feels great

Advertisement