Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping in hot weather!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Tuesday night was the worst. Reminded me of being on holidays in places with no air con. It doesn't seem to be affecting my 10 week old though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

We are just back from a week in Germany where it was very hot but honestly its hotter here. Babys room temp was 30 last night and this morning its 29 even with the window wide open. She's a bit restless but sleeping ok so far. I have her in a nappy, vest and a very light cotton grobag. Might have to check out about a fan today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I thought last night was the hottest night yet. Temperature was 27 C all night in our one year old's room.
    Initially had her in just a nappy in her light grobag but she mooched loads until properly waking up at 1. Poor thing drank half a bottle of water!
    Calmed her down and then put her back in the cot without the grobag and she slept until 6.30.
    Her room gets the sun from about 12 until it sets so I've stuck some tinfoil to the inside of the window this morning to see if that helps to stop the room warming up so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Heroditas wrote: »
    I thought last night was the hottest night yet. Temperature was 27 C all night in our one year old's room.
    Initially had her in just a nappy in her light grobag but she mooched loads until properly waking up at 1. Poor thing drank half a bottle of water!
    Calmed her down and then put her back in the cot without the grobag and she slept until 6.30.
    Her room gets the sun from about 12 until it sets so I've stuck some tinfoil to the inside of the window this morning to see if that helps to stop the room warming up so much.

How did the tin fool idea work out for you??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It seems to have helped a bit alright. The room hasn't gone above 25c the last two days, despite the sun blazing down on the window.
    She slept all the way through from 8 last night until 8 this morning, not a peep out of her.

Funnily enough, I found a heating fan in the attic that I'd bought in B&Q last winter, ironically enough to heat the attic if the temperature dropped too low last winter. I thought we may have to disconnect the element and then use it to cool her room but there's just a standard "fan" setting with no heat and we've used that to help circulate some air in her room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

I live in a hot country and have no air-con. what i find works is a fan placed behind, not too close, a wet cotton sheet or a towel. You could also place a wet sheet over an open window. (same principle as the frozen water bottles). I'm not mad about the idea of the little one sleeping in a damp, or humid room though, so I usually do it before I put her to bed, and only on the hottest nights. It brings the room temp down a few degrees. She sleeps in just a night-nappy (she's not toilet-trained yet). I cover her with just a cotton sheet but she always pulls it off.

Advertisement