Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I swap my license?

• 08-07-2013 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am 25 and currently hold an A Category which I got before 19th January 2013 (so its now a A2 Category); my question is this; I have seen in the official documentation Here on RSA that I can apply for the new unrestricted A Category learner permit given my age and fortune :).

How do I do this? do I go in and fill out a form and hand in my old license? is there any fees/tests associated with the swap? Please let me know as I really want to do this before they change the rules again :)

To clarify, see section A13:B on Page 9 in the RSA Document

Regards,
    Justin

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Beat the blues

You need to go and do the IBT level 5
    I think its about 300 euro .Get the cert and send off your licence

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Sinister747

You need to go and do the IBT level 5
    I think its about 300 euro .Get the cert and send off your licence

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, I have modified the original post slightly as I mean swapping to the new A Category Learner Permit not full license; do I still have to do IBT Level 5?

Regards,
    Justin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Beat the blues

Hi Justin
    I think if you have up to level 4 which you have must likely done Its just a straight change of licence And then before you go to do your test you will have to complete level 5

Hi Justin
    I think if you have up to level 4 which you have must likely done Its just a straight change of licence And then before you go to do your test you will have to complete level 5

How do I change the license? what's the process?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

How do I change the license? what's the process?

Apply for a new 'A' learner permit, complete application form, two photo's & fee 35 Euro.

If no IBT before, complete modules 1,3,5 (18-Hours), if you have completed IBT before, modules 1,2,3,4 you will now have to do module 5 (11-Hours).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

If you got you Learner permit before the IBT began, you hold a 25kw restriction. You are over 24, so you need to apply for an unrestricted A Learner permit and complete the full IBT course (18hrs) modules 1,3 and 5.
    When you complete the ibt course,there will be no need to have your bike restricted anymore.

Module 5 is for people who have already done IBT before the new rules which came on jan 19th 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Despite the initial cost of the IBT it's 100% worth it and in the end you'll have a full 'A' licence for life!

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Apply for a new 'A' learner permit, complete application form, two photo's & fee 35 Euro.

If no IBT before, complete modules 1,3,5 (18-Hours), if you have completed IBT before, modules 1,2,3,4 you will now have to do module 5 (11-Hours).

Thanks a million, I have already done 1, 2, 3 and 4; I will apply for new license and when it comes through do the Module 5
    Faith+1 wrote:
    Despite the initial cost of the IBT it's 100% worth it and in the end you'll have a full 'A' licence for life!

Agreed 100%; it's a great course and very helpful to new riders (like myself)

Advertisement