Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike

Options
  • 08-07-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Been doing some research into my imminent bike purchase. I went around to a few shops and took a few bikes out for a spin. I am planning on using the bike to get to work Monday to Friday (18km each way) and then also use it for triathlons too. Just looking for some opinions really.

I started originally looking at bikes under 1000 but have stretched my budget a little as I want to get the best bike I can afford. My initial decision was between a trek 1.2/1.5 and a Giant Defy 2. I have now been offered a great deal on a trek 2.1 Madeone. I was just looking for peoples opinions on which of these I should go for and what people think would suit best.

I would also consider felt but not many places seem to be stocking them and I dont really know their range, what would be comparable to the bikes I have mentioned above and what about prices?

(Oh and I know my log has been quiet the past month, been up to my eyeballs and havent got much training done, started to get back track on Friday though with a 6km run/walk followed by circuit training after work.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Go for the best bike you can afford right now, as you know you will get the use out of it (cycle to work + tri) and once the bike bug bites, all you'll want is new flashy shiny new bike parts :)

On the topic of felt, I'm actually in the process of buying my first TT bike and I found out that Eurocycles are clearing their stock on Felt bikes at the moment and have some serious deals. I visited the one in town and they were extremely helpful in bringing in the bike in the right size and having it built up just to let me see it. If you are near a eurocycles give them a call and pop down.. some serious deals on the felts..

As for Giant Defy, my first road bike was the giant defy 3 in 2011 and it's still going strong. I have covered several thousand kms on it and could not recommend them highly enough. The frame comes with a lifetime guarantee. The spec on the 2013 bikes are much improved from when I bought mine so you'd be getting a good bike! Are you using the bike to work scheme? And would you have anything against purchasing online?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Hi John thanks for the feedback.

Yes I am using the bike to work scheme plus a little bit of my own savings so needs to be done instore. I am going to spend as much as I can on this and these bikes all seem to be in the same price range. I was looking on the eurocycle website and saw a B16 (might be out of my price range depending) and S22 the B16 has a 56cm in stock and the S22 has a 58cm. I think I am a 56 as I road a 56 and 58 trek and felt a little more comfortable on the 56 which would mean the B16. DO you know which of these bike style would suit me better maybe?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Be careful usually you go down a size with a TT bike and a 54 might be what will suit you best. Certainly I would think a 58 in a TT bike would be far to big

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Biting the bullet and gonna get the defy5 this evening.. One thing I'm worried about is weight, mine not the bike!! what are the chances of 25stone buckling the wheels does anyone know?? Some shops say I won't others say I won't... I'm wondering are some shops just trying to sell more than I need???

catweazle wrote: »
    Be careful usually you go down a size with a TT bike and a 54 might be what will suit you best. Certainly I would think a 58 in a TT bike would be far to big

Thanks for the advice. I went to eurocycles on the way home from work today unexpectidly and test road a 54 felt tt, for some reason my mind has gone blank and I cant remember if it was S22 or B16 I took out, either way I felt it was too small, my knee hit my elbow on ocasion and I felt too hunched up.

Having ridden a TT today and a the treck 2.1 on Sunday I have to say I was happier with the Trek. Im not sure if it was cause it was more like what I was used to or what. IS the TT style something you have to get comfortable and used to? I reckon commuting to work the Trek would be suitable but then again the full carbon frame of the B16 is probbaly better for tris.

Basicly at this stage my choice is between the Trek 2.1 the Felt S22 or the Felt B16. The S22 will work out at me paying 900 for just the bike that has ultegra derailers but not much else noteworthy apart from its TT with a carbon fork and nice wheels, the Trek will be about 1000 with 2 years free services including before all races, bottle cage, TT bars, saddle bag, 2x tubes and 105 shifters and derailers with a tiagra cassette, Shimano R565 crank, carbon fork. The B16 would be about 1200 for just the bike but has ultegra derailers and a full carbon frame and the same wheels as the S22.

Im nearly positive Im going to go with the Trek Im just afraid I will regret not going for the carbon frame and TT bike but with the clip on bars can I get a similar setup to the TT for triathlons and then a nicer commuting bike as a normal road bike?

Sorry I know long pot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

(Oh and I know my log has been quiet the past month, been up to my eyeballs and havent got much training done

The above is not the training profile I would expect of someone that should be looking for a major TT bike purchase ;)

I would recommend not getting a TT bike if thats going to be your only bike and also commute on it as well. I bought a reasonable road bike which did me fine for a good few years with clip on tri bars. I still use it for winter training and for bringing the young lad on spins, its a grand bike

I now have a good TT bike which I use in the Spring/Summer for triathlon season and a road bike for the winter rides in crap weather.

I would suggest two routes

1. Get a decent road bike, one that you wont want to trade in for a better model in a year or two, certainly the Trek will fit that bill. If the triathlon bug is still there save up and get a TT bike in a year or two as you are improving on the bike.

2. Get a cheap 2nd hand road bike for commuting and splash out on the B16

I would go with option 1 myself ;)

Thanks catweazle I think that is good solid advice, will see where I am in a year or two with regards to a tt bike and get the trek for now. I have aspirations of great things with triathlon but like with everything who knows where I will be in a years time. No the training profile really went down this week. I had been doing 5 days a week with doubles on Mondays but with everything going on this month in moving county, working two jobs and trying to get finished with my thesis I just haven't managed it until this week since I have cut back to one job.

Advertisement