Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats

• 08-07-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭

Ok, I'm sure this has been covered before....

But I'm looking for the best possible way to kill remove all cats.

Basically, they're digging up my containers and dropping logs into the soil. Also, if this happens, is the soil contaminated? or if I get the "logs" removed on the same day, will the produce be ok?

Sorry, I'm completely new to this and want to give this a good shot, without poisoning my whole family at the 1st attempt at "organic" living

:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Probably the easiest and cheapest, but also time intensive - get a decent water pistol and give them a good blast any time they come in the garden. Alternatively probably one of those sound producers would seem to be the only option.

We have always had cats and also grew veggies, and no-one was ever poisoned! I suspect it is only maybe one cat that id doing all the soiling, and suggest you give the water pistol a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭amandstu

Cats are very annoying in the garden.The worst of it is when they destroy the seed beds.

I try to minimize that by netting them (the beds not the cats although it would be tempting) if necessary -just a net (or chicken wire) lying on the ground : it is enough to send them somewhere else to relieve themselves.
    Again it helps to keep the ground for seeds very damp as they prefer dry soil to defecate in.

If I come upon them I would try to scare them away but it is pretty pointless as they will be back for sure when I am not "on duty".

I don't think their excrement is actually a huge problem apart from its being disgusting -I don't think it is anything of a health hazard :you can just remove it or cover it up with soil. It will be less disgusting in a few weeks time if you happen to unearth it accidentally.

I think there are products that are supposed to deter them but I have no experience of them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

I leave a nice bowl of milk out and slowly befriend them over a period of a few weeks, petting and rubbing and holding them until they show no fear in coming to me.
    Then it's time for a drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Go to the zoo and ask them for some lion poo from when they are cleaning out the lion enclosures or going in to feed them each day.

Stick a big dollop of the stuff in the garden where the cats is.

That will deter it and the cat will move off to pastures new.

Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

paddy147 wrote: »
    Go to the zoo and ask them for some lion poo from when they are cleaning out the lion enclosures or going in to feed them each day.

Stick a big dollop of the stuff in the garden where the cats is.

That will deter it and the cat will move off to pastures new.

Simples.

Why bother asking? Just climb over and take it, just let me know the time so I can watch the show!

• Advertisement

Why bother asking? Just climb over and take it, just let me know the time so I can watch the show!

Lions can climb rather high up into trees,when they are a tad hungry.

Have the pic to prove it too..:pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

amandstu wrote: »
    I don't think their excrement is actually a huge problem apart from its being disgusting -I don't think it is anything of a health hazard :you can just remove it or cover it up with soil. It will be less disgusting in a few weeks time if you happen to unearth it accidentally.
    It is potentially dangerous, due to toxoplasmosis. Not sure on the transfer to food, but could transfer via hands working the soil.

As for solutions, netting is the best solution I've found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

Thanks for the feedback... including the many wiley ways to rid gardens of cats. I wasn't their biggest fan anyway, now they're the absolute enemy !!!!

The logs were never mixed into the soil. With gloves on, I found where they were buried and removed them. They're only containers I'm growing in, so it was easy to find the dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

try Get off Cat & Dog Repellent crystals or spray, it worked for me.

Pic of them...:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

CarlosK wrote: »
    Ok, I'm sure this has been covered before....

But I'm looking for the best possible way to kill remove all cats.

Basically, they're digging up my containers and dropping logs into the soil. Also, if this happens, is the soil contaminated? or if I get the "logs" removed on the same day, will the produce be ok?

Sorry, I'm completely new to this and want to give this a good shot, without poisoning my whole family at the 1st attempt at "organic" living

:mad::mad::mad:

You can get garlic repellants pretty cheaply. Citrus fruits also repel them. I've had success stopping my cat ****ting in the seed beds using slices of lemon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

My mom just fills clear 2 litre bottles of water and lays them around the garden and apparently the cats see their reflection and leg it...

Advertisement