Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating oil prices!

Options
  • 08-07-2013 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was thinking to fill the tank in summer as the price of heating oil might be cheaper, but it seems the cheaper month has past according to www.cheapestoil.ie. when do people fill the tank? wait until the winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

Rubbish I use to drive a tanker delivering Home heating oil, buy now BUT be aware it does go up and down, have a look over the week but when Winter come's in that is demand time, summer is slack so if your watching prices this week may be you cheapest time with the weather been so warm.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭you2008

Tawny Owl wrote: »
    Rubbish I use to drive a tanker delivering Home heating oil, buy now BUT be aware it does go up and down, have a look over the week but when Winter come's in that is demand time, summer is slack so if your watching prices this week may be you cheapest time with the weather been so warm.;)

what do you mean -- Rubbish?
    Thanks for the suggestion any way, the cheapest for 500L seems about 420 euro now, Is it a good price? I have never bought oil before in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

you2008 wrote: »
    I have never bought oil before in Ireland.

There are 2 types of Home Heating oil - Kerosene and Diesel.

You need to make sure which one your system uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

Sorry there the phrase Rubbish was a figure of speech. there was no harm in what I said.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Oil is an internationally traded commodity - in summer many refineries shut for maintenance so supply can get tight. In winter use rises.

Basically there's an excuse for all price movements. At present it is very difficult to work out whether to wait or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

We set up a €50 per month direct debit with an oil company so we never have to really worry about coming up with a big lump sum whenever we want oil. Every few months we simply ask how much is in the account and order that amount. Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Danpad wrote: »
    We set up a €50 per month direct debit with an oil company so we never have to really worry about coming up with a big lump sum whenever we want oil. Every few months we simply ask how much is in the account and order that amount. Job done!

That's a good idea but be sure that the price being charged to you is competitive. If they think you are not watching the price, they might overcharge you. Phone them before they deliver and get the price per litre and compare with other suppliers.

Advertisement