Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being single and buying a house in Lucan?

Options
  • 08-07-2013 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I am planning to take out a mortgage in the next year or so, and have started looking at various areas of Dublin as potential places to have a home. Here are my requirements:

1. My limit is 200K
    2. No Finglas, Tallaght or anything on red Luas line - too scary
    3. I want a semi-detached, and
    4. I don't mind living up to 20km from city centre, as long as commuting is not overly complicated.

And Lucan, or to be more precise, the part of it to the south of N4, seems to be about the only place in/around Dublin that meets these requirements. And I actually like it there quite a lot - the houses are new, the people seem ok, I like the Grifeen Valley park, etc. etc.

Except I'm single. And that might not change in the near future. Or ever. So I'm wondering how probable it is that I might turn out to be the only single and child-less person in the entire estate? I don't want to be perceived by the neighbours as some weirdo who moved to an area with a completely mismatching spirit and demographics. Or even something worse.

So I'd like to hear from people who live in those estates. Would I likely encounter negative reaction from neighbours? Are there maybe particular estates with more mixed demographics? Or maybe I should be looking at a completely different area of Dublin?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Single person living in a semi D.

Seriously, why would you worry? What's wrong with that?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Single Home Buyer

))) No, I'm worried about living in a semi-detached house. It's just that by the look of it, every single household there is a young family with kids.

And I'm pretty sure that being completely different to all of your neighbours is not a very comfortable situation to be in. Especially if it's an estate with some community spirit, and not some faceless apartment block.

No? Maybe I'm seeing problems where no one else sees them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't want to be perceived by the neighbours as some weirdo who moved to an area with a completely mismatching spirit and demographics.

Most people in these estates have no clue who their neighbours are
    And they don't care either.

Lucan is not rural Ireland where you know every person in the parish! Well maybe it was 50 years ago but it's not now

Maybe I'm seeing problems where no one else sees them?

Yes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I moved into a houseshare where a single male professional bought the house in Lucan and rented a room or two. Ended up marrying him but that's another story ;)

Couple of his friends did the same thing in the area ie renting out a room (not the marrying part) as it gave them company and income and as it turned out, good friends.

Advertisement