Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new rules on the way boys and girls

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I'd be more in favour of of commercial buildings been checked....seen some awful wiring in those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

So could I get sent to prison for changing an mbc in my own fuse board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

chrismon wrote: »
    Pretty much ya....here's the exact line..

Once passed it will be illegal for any person other than a Registered Electrical Contractor to carry out such works. A person who is guilty of this offence will be liable:

- On conviction on indictment to a fine not exceeding €15,000 or a term of imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or to both, or

- On summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding €5,000 or a term of imprisonment not exceeding 6 months or to both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

they prob outlaw bathroom work after that

something like 'part p' in the uk

hard to know what to make of it all

i was reci member for 16 years but a lot of the registered work is pretty bad

How is this going to work?
    Are they going to re-certify every house noting every electrical point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭eggy81

Is it actually to improve safety or is it to tackle the nixer culture that out of work sparks use to make a few bob at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Impossible to police,same as unregistered lads doing alarm work.If people want to use the black market because its cheaper they will,no amount of laws will stop it.

Agree with Mike,just because someone is registered doesn't mean they are flawless,especially with self certification in play,the standard of wiring I've seen in some commercial and residential buildings built during the boom left a lot to be desired,and they were wired by major companies.

If they want to do something meaningful for safety then put proper checks of work in place and end self certification.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

I'm sure that if you don't have any qualification of competency, that you can and most likely be in trouble especially if any accidents or fire happen as a result

eggy81 wrote: »
    Is it actually to improve safety or is it to tackle the nixer culture that out of work sparks use to make a few bob at the moment.

dunno really

the guys doing the work will be self-certified with minimum supervision

and of course most do cash work too-same difference there

maybe it's the thin end of a wedge.......it doesn't seem to mean much on it's own anyhow if it can be ignored

nucker wrote: »
    I'm sure that if you don't have any qualification of competency, that you can and most likely be in trouble especially if any accidents or fire happen as a result

I'm a qualified Sparky .
    Will be intesresting to see what way it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

I'm a qualified Sparky .
    Will be intesresting to see what way it goes.

That is good, I'm sure you will be able deal with anything electrical

Although I've dealt with the electronic side of things, I have come across really scary scenarios where people are not that intelligent as they think they are. If I had the option of running out of their house, I sure would of, but work forced me to be "professional" :eek: unfortunately. And these are who the regulations are aimed towards, non qualified people. Thinking of it now, I am still wondering why it took so long for governments to make this law and manufacturers to abide by them for the safety of their consumers

As a heating engineer I have my Part P and the system works well, so it's up to the powers that be, if it doesn't work it won't be because it can't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

nucker wrote: »
    That is good, I'm sure you will be able deal with anything electrical

Although I've dealt with the electronic side of things, I have come across really scary scenarios where people are not that intelligent as they think they are. If I had the option of running out of their house, I sure would of, but work forced me to be "professional" :eek: unfortunately. And these are who the regulations are aimed towards, non qualified people. Thinking of it now, I am still wondering why it took so long for governments to make this law and manufacturers to abide by them for the safety of their consumers
    You don't have to be registered to be qualified.

gary71 wrote: »
    As a heating engineer I have my Part P and the system works well, so it's up to the powers that be, if it doesn't work it won't be because it can't work.

Yea so you can get a stiffer sentence as a qualified sparks for changing a faulty MCB in your board, then you might get for smashing a bottle over someone's head.

Which is safest?

Jobs for the lads, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

I wonder will this lead to even unsafer work practices. Example would someone tap into an existing socket circuit to add extra sockets rather than running a new supply back to fuseboard and risk overloading???? Reci have been wanting this to happen for a long time now and its all about getting new members for them and the loss of revenue for the Government due to the nixer trade.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yea so you can get a stiffer sentence as a qualified sparks for changing a faulty MCB in your board, then you might get for smashing a bottle over someone's head.

What you in prison for? Ha

Which is safest?

Jobs for the lads, nothing more.

Don't get you.

But if you had Part P here same for same and enforced same for same then installs would be safer and prosecution of fruitloops would be easier.

Don't get you.

But if you had Part P here same for same and enforced same for same then installs would be safer and prosecution of fruitloops would be easier.

Is a qualified electrician replacing an MCB in their own board, a fruit loop?

What you in prison for? Ha

My sins

yes

what about the registered fruitloops that wired all the celtic tiger houses??

• Advertisement

yes

what about the registered fruitloops that wired all the celtic tiger houses??

Yes. The stuff I fixed next door I mentioned here before, astonishing. And that was just one example.

Purely due to profit by rushing to wire a house in a day. Anyone that thinks safety and good standards was paramount to registered contractors is having a laugh.

How many are killed a year due to bad electrical installations?

What would a qualified sparks have to fear? When Part P came in it wasn't sparks who were worried.

Looking at the wiring that is out there something has to change and having gone through a similar process myself I see the benefits with the right system.

What would a qualified sparks have to fear? When Part P came in it wasn't sparks who were worried.

Looking at the wiring that is out there something has to change and having gone through a similar process myself I see the benefits with the right system.

Well the op seems to suggest its getting to the stage where people will have to fear changing a light bulb.

A fruitloop is anyone earning money or messing at things they shouldn't be for their sake and their customers/victims sake.

A fruitloop is anyone earning money or messing at things they shouldn't be for their sake and their customers/victims sake.

So, a qualified electrician replacing a faulty MCB is not a fruit loop. Grand so.

Well the op seems to suggest its getting to the stage where people will have to fear changing a light bulb.

Same old same old, all the things been said here I was saying ten years ago with both gas as a qualified gas engineer and electrics as a qualified heating engineer, nobody likes change and nobody wants to be told how to suck eggs.

After coming out the other end of my own UK regs I found a it made it harder for fruitloops to work legit and easier to prosecute them if they were messing.

They way it was done in the UK made it easier for anybody working within regulations.

So, a qualified electrician replacing a faulty MCB is not a fruit loop. Grand so.

If you say so.

Sorry I ment to say no qualified sparks could ever be accused of being fruitloops:D

Same old same old, all the things been said here I was saying ten years ago with both gas as a qualified gas engineer and electrics as a qualified heating engineer, nobody likes change and nobody wants to be told how to suck eggs.

After coming out the other end of my own UK regs I found a it made it harder for fruitloops to work legit and easier to prosecute them if they were messing.

They way it was done in the UK made it easier for anybody working within regulations.

So, you think a qualified person should be prosecuted for changing an MCB in his own house, yes or no?

You seem to like that fruit loops phrase.

If you say so.
    fruitloops:D

There was a driver on the m50 going southbound on the northbound lane before. I believe he thought everyone else was going the wrong way.

• Advertisement

So, you think a qualified person should be prosecuted for changing an MCB in his own house, yes or no?

You seem to like that fruit loops phrase.

Having misread your reply I responded incorrectly I tried to save myself but it didn't work out.

To clarify from my own experiences I don't see how a qualified sparks has anything to fear carrying out any kind of electrical works in a competent manor.

As for "fruitloops" it's a term of indearment I get to use a lot as someone who repairs mistakes made on gas boilers and heating wiring for a living.

Advertisement