Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new rules on the way boys and girls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Stoner wrote: »
    Yes they are, plenty of time served electricians out there with no senior trade qualifications, in fact there is still a defined rate for a time served/no exam electrician.

I knew one or two such electricians who were top class ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Yes they are, plenty of time served electricians out there with no senior trade qualifications, in fact there is still a defined rate for a time served/no exam electrician.

I thought that I hear of a guy without his senior trades and 20 years experience been to he needed his final exams to be a REC. Crazy but just a case of ticking all the box I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

And in fact there are competent electricians who actually failed the senior trades exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nc63

Bruthal wrote: »
    I knew one or two such electricians who were top class ones.
    I take that back. I'm sure there are a few of the old-timers who are/were top class. Just as there are lots of guys who scrape through the trades exams who are mediocre at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nc63

Hitchens wrote: »
    And in fact there are competent electricians who actually failed the senior trades exams.
    I'm sure there are. Just as there are guys who scraped through but you wouldn't want doing anything other than changing a light bulb.

My main issue is with this new law that is handing yet more money to the registration bodies who at the moment do precious little other than lighten the wallets of their members. If this new ill-drafted law is to stay, then the registration bodies need to start testing and re-testing their members to ensure they are both competent and sufficiently knowledgeable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

nc63 wrote: »
    I take that back. I'm sure there are a few of the old-timers who are/were top class. Just as there are lots of guys who scrape through the trades exams who are mediocre at best.

For most, the written exams are a memory test. All but the basics are forgotten very quickly after exams are complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Bruthal wrote: »
    For most, the written exams are a memory test. All but the basics are forgotten very quickly after exams are complete.

I concur.Did my last exams a couple of years ago and its scary how much I've forgotten when I look back at my books/notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

What I enjoy about the Electrical trade is that your always learning...well me anyway. Has any of you guys come across the old lads when Electrical/Plumbing was hand in hand (could do both)?

If this was really about the "safety" and not more of the obvious, another money collection racket.

I think the Householder should also be held responsible. For He/She should be aware that the Electrician is a REC and so forth not a so called off the books Electrician.... This would put more decent clamp down on the "Nixers".

It's only going to end up falling the other way imo. Times are tight cash is low, Who is going to pay a fancy REC and his nice rates to do a little work? or go for a friend with a fair price.

Cash is king?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

Tuco88 wrote: »
    What I enjoy about the Electrical trade is that your always learning...well me anyway. Has any of you guys come across the old lads when Electrical/Plumbing was hand in hand (could do both)?

If this was really about the "safety" and not more of the obvious, another money collection racket.

I think the Householder should also be held responsible. For He/She should be aware that the Electrician is a REC and so forth not a so called off the books Electrician.... This would put more decent clamp down on the "Nixers".

It's only going to end up falling the other way imo. Times are tight cash is low, Who is going to pay a fancy REC and his nice rates to do a little work? or go for a friend with a fair price.

Cash is king?
    I have come across one of the old kind I was trained by one of them and had a really wide ranging and varied apprenticeship when the 80's was a ****e time to be an electrician with the lack of work about. Dunno what it's like in Dublin but down the country most self employed guys I know are struggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sparktech

Hi there im one of thoses electricians with out craft cert. I failed science in senior trades and never repeated it. That was in 97. ive been self employed for 14 years and have put 6 apprentices through there time. I have a level 8 in mecatronics. I cant get a craft cert. Why. ?.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

sparktech wrote: »
    Why. ?.....

Because the computer said no.

WikiHow wrote: »
    Because the computer said no.

There should be some way of resitting the exam or taking a new one there is alot of guys like me out there

There should be some way of resitting the exam or taking a new one there is alot of guys like me out there

Alot of water went under the bridge and alot of pints were drank since 1997 why did you not act sooner?

Never needed it. Its only coming up now as been asked for it.

Never needed it. Its only coming up now as been asked for it.
    Did you not feel it be the better option to pass that at the time?

That would have been the right thing,! Spent most of the time working making money was more intresting than going to school. We all grow up to late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Maybe you could apply to do that CDM course sparktech.

That would have been the right thing,! Spent most of the time working making money was more intresting than going to school. We all grow up to late

Sure we could all turn back time if we could, its never too late.

Cogsy88 wrote: »
    Maybe you could apply to do that CDM course sparktech.

Whats the cdm course

Whats the cdm course

Found it on net thats a good start. ..will try that and let ye know. . Thanks

• Advertisement

Competency determination mechanism test in fas. They were running it in fas for apprentices who had not finished there time because off the lack of work in the recession. I was short 40 weeks so I did it. You could always enquire about it not sure if they r still running it though.

Whats the cdm course
    Basically it’s a restaurant with office and toilet, you have to quote and design what you will do from a drawing they give ya.
    Two distribution boards single phase and three phase, fire alarm, emergency lighting (with test facility) and roller shutter. A few different type skts to install, different type’s lights, spurs, BGU’s, sounders, patch panel and a safety e-stop circuit for sockets. That’s pretty much it. Very tight for time, ye would not think it but ye have to do all the testing and verification before and after power up, ye know, all the regular certification a new installation has to have done. Most of the time is taken up making up all the tray and strut frames and then deciding what way you are going to run all different circuits.

Surely they'll let ya repeat your final exams. I mean your far more competent then I am. all I have is 3 and a half years.

Dont know will that route work as i have all my craft exams. It was the writen sceince i failed. Dont think they even do those type of exams now. Will ring fas on monday and see what happens

See if one of the IT collages can do a repeat. Hopefully someone can help.

There has to be a practical solution, i know it has been a long time but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

Hi there im one of thoses electricians with out craft cert. I failed science in senior trades and never repeated it. That was in 97. ive been self employed for 14 years and have put 6 apprentices through there time. I have a level 8 in mecatronics. I cant get a craft cert. Why. ?.....

classic tiger cub.........failed your exams in 1997 and sailed on anyways...sure the money was good !

if you were once a member of one of the supervisory bodies ring them and ask about the grandfather clause and it would apply to you

i take it that the lack of a testing and verfication number is your problem

the grandfather clause

What is that?

WikiHow wrote: »
    What is that?

That can be used in this country if needed but ive been reg for a long time and dont have prob with certs. Its traveling over seas that has clamp down. Alot to do with eu free movement of workers.

• Advertisement

That can be used in this country if needed but ive been reg for a long time and dont have prob with certs. Its traveling over seas that has clamp down. Alot to do with eu free movement of workers.

If you have been working at the trade even with out ever been registered but can prove that you have been working at the trade you can be certifed

Advertisement