Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new rules on the way boys and girls

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

sparktech wrote: »
    That can be used in this country if needed but ive been reg for a long time and dont have prob with certs. Its traveling over seas that has clamp down. Alot to do with eu free movement of workers.

Still confused sorry. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sparktech

WikiHow wrote: »
    Still confused sorry. :confused:

If you have been working as a electrcian for years but where never registered and can prove it you can be certifed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

If you have been working as a electrcian for years but where never registered and can prove it you can be certifed

Have you tried it?

Do you mean one can be registered by ECSSA or RECI?

Cogsy88 wrote: »
    Have you tried it?

Only covers for getting reci certs

• Advertisement

Only covers for getting reci certs
    What is your issue with ECSSA ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

dont shout to much about "i have put 6 apprentices through there time" because if you signed any of there on-the-job assesment schedules it meens there apprentship is INVALID because in legal terms your not qualified

ie(passed the prescibed exams set down buy the irish state) to be deemed a qulified electricain

its the same as a driving licence......pass you drive............fail you walk

What is your issue with ECSSA ones?

No prob with getting certs its. My electrical craft cert to show im qualified is my problem need it for going over seas or some muiti national companies look for it

dont shout to much about "i have put 6 apprentices through there time" because if you signed any of there on-the-job assesment schedules it meens there apprentship is INVALID because in legal terms your not qualified

ie(passed the prescibed exams set down buy the irish state) to be deemed a qulified electricain

its the same as a driving licence......pass you drive............fail you walk

I taught FETAC did the final assessment of all your paperwork and what not. So the final signature on your paperwork is from them and not your boss. If dats the case? Are they allowed to remove your qualification once there assessor has signed it?

No prob with getting certs its. My electrical craft cert to show im qualified is my problem need it for going over seas or some muiti national companies look for it
    What country you heading for?

• Advertisement

What country you heading for?

Was going to a rig in norway for a controls project but you have to register with government first and they want craft cert .I would be on land for 6 to 8 weeks so have to do it .if I was going straight to the rig I would be ok

Was going to a rig in norway for a controls project but you have to register with government first and they want craft cert .I would be on land for 6 to 8 weeks so have to do it .if I was going straight to the rig I would be ok

I have a friend on the rigs in Norway, he is putting away serious money but its tough going as away from family.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

Norwegian DSB certification you will need this if your rigging

http://www.dsb.no/en/toppmeny/English/

I have a friend on the rigs in Norway, he is putting away serious money but its tough going as away from family.

Ya have done other rigs its manly projects I do so not away to long ..mostly plc and scada and most of it done at home first

I can't even get a job sparktech. They all say I've no experience, in my opinion the 20 or so years experience you have is far more valuable then a little card to say your qualified, it gets me no where. That's my opinion anyways.

I can't even get a job sparktech. They all say I've no experience, in my opinion the 20 or so years experience you have is far more valuable then a little card to say your qualified, it gets me no where. That's my opinion anyways.

Who says you have no experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

So your saying cuz you've experience these company's should over look qualified sparks in favour of you? An electricians mate?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi there im one of thoses electricians with out craft cert. I failed science in senior trades and never repeated it. That was in 97.

Perhaps talk to Fás it may be possible to sit the exam again.
    ive been self employed for 14 years and have put 6 apprentices through there time.

Unless these apprentices were under the supervision of a qualified electrician (that passed all of his exams) it could be argued (although not likely) that their training is null and void.
    I have a level 8 in mecatronics.

That should help you to pass the Electrical Science exam should you decide to go for it again.
    I cant get a craft cert. Why. ?.....

Because you did not pass all of the exams required to qualify for a National craft Certificate.
    As far as Fás are concerned a failure to pass Electrical Science demonstrates that you do not have sufficient understanding of this subject.

Irish electricians are highly regarded all over the world, and this is no accident.
    If Fás were to take the view that a National Craft Certificate were to be handed out to anyone that decided that they had the required experience and "superior or equivalent" exams this would dilute the qualification for those that had followed the correct procedure and passed the exams.

It amazes me that some people are of the opinion that Fás should simply make them some sort of "honorary electrician" and award a National Craft Certificate due to their experience. I went through 4 tough years and had to pass my exams to get my certificate, why should others be treated differently?

See the Craft of Electrical

2011 wrote: »

It amazes me that some people are of the opinion that Fás should simply make them some sort of "honorary electrician" and award a National Craft Certificate due to their experience. I went through 4 tough years and had to pass my exams to get my certificate, why should others be treated differently?

My opinion is also this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I actually think that there is a notion in Ireland and to a degree in Britain that skilled trades are something that should be picked up on the job or that anyone can just do.

It's part of the reason why there are so many chancers going around calling themselves plumbers and builders etc.

Electricians and gas fitters are regulated but the attitude remains at large that ah sure its only manual work..

There is a reason why the quality of construction work etc is much higher in parts of Europe where these things are taken seriously and regulated.

Would you get a guy who knew a bit about accounting to submit your tax returns?
    Or get someone who had maybe worked as a dental assistant for a bit to fill your teeth and do dental implants?

Gas and electrical fittings can cause fires, electrocution and explosions if installed incorrectly.

Other trades can cause injury or destroy your property when done incorrectly too.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I actually think that there is a notion in Ireland and to a degree in Britain that skilled trades are something that should be picked up on the job or that anyone can just do.

It's part of the reason why there are so many chancers going around calling themselves plumbers and builders etc.

Electricians and gas fitters are regulated but the attitude remains at large that ah sure its only manual work..

There is a reason why the quality of construction work etc is much higher in parts of Europe where these things are taken seriously and regulated.

Would you get a guy who knew a bit about accounting to submit your tax returns?
    Or get someone who had maybe worked as a dental assistant for a bit to fill your teeth and do dental implants?

Gas and electrical fittings can cause fires, electrocution and explosions if installed incorrectly.

Other trades can cause injury or destroy your property when done incorrectly too.
    Ah sure it's only 3 wires it's not rocket science....

MrMac84 wrote: »
    So your saying cuz you've experience these company's should over look qualified sparks in favour of you? An electricians mate?

I am qualified. Did u read previous posts?

Who says you have no experience?

Every interview I go to.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

They all say I've no experience

We all had "no experience" at some stage.
    Sometimes you have to do whatever it takes to get that experience.
    For me that meant working for cr@p money and travelling.
    The fact that you are qualified will stand to you.

How much experience do you have?

2011 wrote: »
    We all had "no experience" at some stage.
    Sometimes you have to do whatever it takes to get that experience.
    For me that meant working for cr@p money and travelling.
    The fact that you are qualified will stand to you.

How much experience do you have?

3 and a half years of my apprenticeship the CDM and in doing testing and verification in 2 weeks. Dat is all. May aswel have no qualification I've lost all hope at this stage.

Advertisement