Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch/Router/Adapter?

Options
  • 08-07-2013 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I have the UPC/Thompson 4 port router with a Nas, PS3, AV receiver and media player currently connected.
    I would like to also connect my Sky+ box and also have a spare port for occasionally connecting other wired devices, but the Sky+ box is the main priority.
    Do I need a switch, another router or just an adapter for this? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

Switch is your best option. Go to dabs.ie, and search for "8 port gigabit switch". Also, get as many CAT5E or CAT6 cables as you need (don't get CAT5, without the E). In your case, order about 7-8 cables.
    When they arrive, connect one cable from the back of your Thompson router to the back of the switch, then connect all your other devices to the switch. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Switch is your best option. Go to dabs.ie, and search for "8 port gigabit switch". Also, get as many CAT5E or CAT6 cables as you need (don't get CAT5, without the E). In your case, order about 7-8 cables.
    When they arrive, connect one cable from the back of your Thompson router to the back of the switch, then connect all your other devices to the switch. That's it.
    Cheers for that. I actually have plenty of cat6 cable so I'll just pick up a switch.

Advertisement